Noro Virus-Carnival Liberty

mjbelen

It's a nasty virus indeed, it's redeeming quality is that one usually gets better quickly. The noro virus spreads like wildfire because it IS airborne (look it up!) Washing hands is great, but if you walk through a hall where an infected person just sneezed, you will get infected. If you breathe the same air as someone in an enclosed space, you will be infected. That is, unless you've been infected a few times before and have built a natural immunity to it. So keep on washing your hands, but it's no silver bullet.

And if you do get it, drink lots and lots of water. Like any gastro-intestinal illness it is very easy to become dehydrated, which is one of the main causes of hospitalization.

Well....that gave me a laugh! Are you serious? Why not just stuff yourself in a fresh and sanitary plastic bag and stay home?

OMG, I was thinking the same thing! Why leave the house at all if you have to go through that every time??

That all seems pretty excessive, IMO.

That all seems pretty excessive, IMO.

All you can say is excessive? :eek: :p

Anyone that does something like that is probably a walking pharmacy too.:rolleyes:

Excessive, extremely paranoid, overreacting, compulsive, crazy...that better? :P

A little :p

Ok seriously now...From what I've read Noro is VERY common and not limited to just ships. Kids at school get the "stomach flu" and are home for several days. That the same thing? Just curious as to why it gets so much press here...

There are a lot of cruise advocates here who would like to minimize concerns about Norovirus. Sure, you can get the virus anywhere, but cruises are unique.

In the case of an outbreak, a new batch of passengers are herded into the breeding ground as they start their cruise. I wouldn't knowingly place myself into a confined crowded environment that just hours before was full of virus-sickened people.

With the financial obligations between cruise line and passenger, passengers sometimes are forced to go into a disease 'hot zone' that far exceeds anything they would ever encounter ashore. This is a unique and troubling risk for cruisers.

ok so all EXTREME paranoia aside, does the airborne really work???? I had told hubby we should try this, before reading these boards, and he said sounds good if it works, this one little extra precaution to give us a better chance at a healthy fun vacation is more than reasonable for me, but it tastes like crap so if it doesn't work I really don't wanna do it (I am a wuss about yucky tasting things):D

airborne

Being Airborne is like being a virgin; you either are or you are not. If you are not, no one really cares to hear your excuses.

There are a lot of cruise advocates here who would like to minimize concerns about Norovirus. Sure, you can get the virus anywhere, but cruises are unique.

In the case of an outbreak, a new batch of passengers are herded into the breeding ground as they start their cruise. I wouldn't knowingly place myself into a confined crowded environment that just hours before was full of virus-sickened people.

With the financial obligations between cruise line and passenger, passengers sometimes are forced to go into a disease 'hot zone' that far exceeds anything they would ever encounter ashore. This is a unique and troubling risk for cruisers.

I don't think anyone here is telling anyone they don't have the right to be paranoid. It's your right. If you are educated about the virus, and you do what is within your control, and choose not to get into a panic about it, does not mean you are minimizing it. I put myself in plenty of situations where I could get sick or catch something however for ME personally, I choose not to live in a bubble or become consumed with paranoia... that is what works for ME, not everyone.

Being Airborne is like being a virgin; you either are or you are not. If you are not, no one really cares to hear your excuses.

Ok I guess I do not understand your response ( maybe i am just ignorant,:D sorry.)

Does the Airborne medication taken ten days before leaving work or not?

All you can say is excessive? :eek: :p

Anyone that does something like that is probably a walking pharmacy too.:rolleyes:

Making sure that wasn't my mom or my mother in law posting the 'list'. WOW! Why bother coming out of your house, unless that is also being disinfected and you have to vacate for at least five hours.

Whoever does this, your sinuses are made of concrete with all that bleaching and alcohol.

Just drink some more rum, that will kill anything you might have! And if you spill some over the side of the rim, no biggie, instant hand sanitizer!

ok so all EXTREME paranoia aside, does the airborne really work???? I had told hubby we should try this, before reading these boards, and he said sounds good if it works, this one little extra precaution to give us a better chance at a healthy fun vacation is more than reasonable for me, but it tastes like crap so if it doesn't work I really don't wanna do it (I am a wuss about yucky tasting things):D

I have really bad luck when it comes to flying. Seems like everytime I fly on a long trip I catch something. I used airborne for the first time before our last trip in April. And I was amazed that I didn't get sick! Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't. Who knows? All I know is I will try it again this December cruise. Good Luck!

Ok I guess I do not understand your response ( maybe i am just ignorant,:D sorry.)

Does the Airborne medication taken ten days before leaving work or not?

airborne%202.jpg

I have no idea.

The time I got a painful cramping stomach on a cruise started soon after we ate on an excursion to the panama canal and I ate the 'homemade' banana muffins and dh didnt. Who knows if these people washed their hands when making these things. If you get norovirus symptoms, ask yourself "have I eaten off of the ship?" I know I will be more weary of excursions "with meals"

It's a nasty virus indeed, it's redeeming quality is that one usually gets better quickly. The noro virus spreads like wildfire because it IS airborne (look it up!) Washing hands is great, but if you walk through a hall where an infected person just sneezed, you will get infected. If you breathe the same air as someone in an enclosed space, you will be infected. That is, unless you've been infected a few times before and have built a natural immunity to it. So keep on washing your hands, but it's no silver bullet.

Norovirus is not spread via the airborne route, it is fecal oral. If you are in the immediate vicinity to someone who vomits and you take in particles in the air and swallow them, you can become infected. But it's not spread like respiratory viruses.

From the CDC site:

Norovirus: Technical Fact Sheetspacer.gifspacer.gifViral Gastroenteritis > Norovirus > Technical Fact Sheet pdf_icon_faded.gifDownload PDF version formatted for print (20 KB/4 pages)

Noroviruses (genus Norovirus, family Caliciviridae) are a group of related, single-stranded RNA, nonenveloped viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis in humans. Norovirus was recently approved as the official genus name for the group of viruses provisionally described as “Norwalk-like viruses” (NLV). This group of viruses has also referred to as caliciviruses (because of their virus family name) and as small round structured viruses, or SRSVs (because of their morphologic features). Another genus of the calicivirus family that can cause gastroenteritis in humans is Sapovirus, formerly described as “Sapporo-like virus” (SLV) and sometimes referred to as classic or typical calicivirus.

Noroviruses are named after the original strain “Norwalk virus,” which caused an outbreak of gastroenteritis in a school in Norwalk, Ohio, in 1968. Currently, there are at least four norovirus genogroups (GI, GII, GIII and GIV), which in turn are divided into at least 20 genetic clusters.

Clinical Presentation

The incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis in humans is usually between 24 and 48 hours (median in outbreaks 33 to 36 hours), but cases can occur within 12 hours of exposure. Norovirus infection usually presents as acute-onset vomiting, watery non-bloody diarrhea with abdominal cramps, and nausea. Low-grade fever also occasionally occurs, and vomiting is more common in children. Dehydration is the most common complication, especially among the young and elderly, and may require medical attention. Symptoms usually last 24 to 60 hours. Recovery is usually complete and there is no evidence of any serious long-term sequelae. Studies with volunteers given stool filtrates have shown that asymptomatic infection may occur in as many as 30% of infections, although the role of asymptomatic infection in norovirus transmission is not well understood.

to_top.gif

Virus Transmission

Noroviruses are transmitted primarily through the fecal-oral route, either by consumption of fecally contaminated food or water or by direct person-to-person spread. Environmental and fomite contamination may also act as a source of infection. Good evidence exists for transmission due to aerosolization of vomitus that presumably results in droplets contaminating surfaces or entering the oral mucosa and being swallowed. No evidence suggests that infection occurs through the respiratory system.

Noroviruses are highly contagious, and it is thought that an inoculum of as few as 10 viral particles may be sufficient to infect an individual. During outbreaks of norovirus gastroenteritis, several modes of transmission have been documented; for example, initial foodborne transmission in a restaurant, followed by secondary person-to-person transmission to household contacts. Although presymptomatic viral shedding may occur, shedding usually begins with onset of symptoms and may continue for 2 weeks after recovery. It is unclear to what extent viral shedding over 72 hours after recovery signifies continued infectivity.

Archived