1st time gty booking ?

cosmo cruiser

We are considering booking a back 2 back on a ship without balconys. (Fascination) Having never sailed in a room other than a balcony we are considering going totally out there and booking a gty room on both legs of the cruise. We have never booked a qty room but what the heck we might as well make this cruise totally different from anything we have done in the past! My question is can a person book a gty cabin but with a minimum level? I have read these boards enough to know not to book anything less than what we will be happy with because an upgrade is wishfull thinking and you can certainly end up at the bottom of the gty catagory. We would be happy with anything oceanview OTHER than a 5A. We don't think we can handle two little portholes. It will be tough enough to be without our balcony space as we really do use the balcony quite a bit. I just wondered if we could pay for the minimum classification we would be happy with such as 6A but still have it be a gty so we can hope for an upgrade. Seems like a lot of CC members do the gty rooms as part of the fun of seeing if they can get lucky enough to be upgraded. We have always picked a specific room and have never been moved in any way. We thought it might be fun but we don't want to be foolish and book a gty IF we can't at least be assured of a 6A or higher. Thanks for sharing your answers.

I recently booked the 1st gty cabin with RCL for our 1st transatlantic Barcelona to Miami) cruise in November on VOS. It was a decision based on cost as we have the added expense of a 1 way airline ticket (we live in FL and are not used to paying for airfare when we cruise). We have never minded an inside room and actually prefer it over a balcony in an effort to get a good night's sleep. That being said, I was very pleased to find after less than a week, we had been upgraded to the 9th deck (M cat) in the center of the ship and had just saved ourselves $120 each. We have cruised with RCL in the past and I later learned that the placement of guests is determined by C&A status (we are still only gold but this one will advance us to the next level). Good luck with your choice.

We booked our first inside guarantee with RCI(ever knew such a thing existed). We had a room on the 3rd deck and now we are on the 4th. THis will be our 5th cruise, and it seems, every cruise we learn a bit more. Hope it works out, we saved $630. by doing the guarantee. Will be sailing July 8th. wish us LUCK!

I recently booked the 1st gty cabin with RCL for our 1st transatlantic Barcelona to Miami) cruise in November on VOS. It was a decision based on cost as we have the added expense of a 1 way airline ticket (we live in FL and are not used to paying for airfare when we cruise). We have never minded an inside room and actually prefer it over a balcony in an effort to get a good night's sleep. That being said, I was very pleased to find after less than a week, we had been upgraded to the 9th deck (M cat) in the center of the ship and had just saved ourselves $120 each. We have cruised with RCL in the past and I later learned that the placement of guests is determined by C&A status (we are still only gold but this one will advance us to the next level). Good luck with your choice.

If it is off C&A then they should have upgraded us to a great place on a GTY but all we got was the same old low cabin we had booked. Its a draw of luck that gets some upgrades and how booked that gty cabin cat is and then the upgrade happens. You were lucky this round, we have booked GYTs 5 times and have yet to be upgraded and we are NOT GOLD but higher on the C&A then that.:cool:

. . We thought it might be fun but we don't want to be foolish and book a gty IF we can't at least be assured of a 6A or higher. Thanks for sharing your answers.

when you book you will book an oceanview guarantee. and ask and get it in writing that doing this will not give you a 5a.

If the agent can not promise you this book a 6 a guarantee that way that is what you get.

You do NOT want to book an inside guiarantee with the hopes of being upgraded to an oceanview-- it jsut dont work like that all the time.

Now-- booking guarantee on a B2B you stand a good chance of having to pack up and move after the first cruise. (each cruise is treated as a seperate cruise)

the cabin steward will help you move.

• 3 weeks later...

Basically when you choose guarantee, you have to take what they give you. You can't put stipulations on it. So definitely choose the lowest you are willing to go, so that you won't be dropped down to a 5a. I had booked an ocean view room, and was given a totally obstructed view room. So it doesn't always work out the way you would wish. Good luck!!

Archived