Viking and Vantage Questions

BJS

New to River cruising and have been comparing Eastern European cruises on both Viking and Vantage and discovered a big price difference. Viking is $1525 more pp for 2 less days than Vantage.

Questions:

Anyone have any idea why there would be such a big difference?

I have noticed Viking frequently has 2/1 or $x discounts on their cruises so do they list them high so they can then send these "great deals" out that make them more equal to the other cruise lines?

What discount does Viking give for past passangers? Can it be used with their "great deals"?

I do know other cruise lines that are mentioned here might have even better deals, we'll look at them as well, but for now just want to figure out this difference.

Thanks

Can't speak for Viking but we were on Vantage Travel's Holland to Hungary river cruise last August and were really pleased. So much so that we are booked with Vantage for next May on their China/Yangtze tour. We have friends that went on a Christmas river cruise with Viking two years ago and they had a good time. You are correct that Viking seems to be higher in cost. Look both over, check all stops and what's included. We did when we booked for last years river cruise. Both seem very good. Willard

Read the brochures thouroughly and completely. Don't know so much about Viking, but we are doing a Vantage river cruise next month (we've been before and were VERY pleased). The one we are doing, Grand Circle has and "almost idenical" trip, but for approx $300 less pp (I know that's not nearly the difference you mentioined, but.....several "optional" tours, that would be about $250 pp more on GCT are included in the Vantage trip. Also, the GCT tour includes 14 breakfasts, 9 lunches, 6 dinners while the Vantage trip is 14 breakfasts, lunches AND dinners. Like I said, read the brochures, day by day and see what exactly is and isn't included.

Thanks... guess will have to send for Viking's brochure and see if it gives more information than their web site does.

Vantage spends more time in Austria and Viking in the countries closer to the Black Sea.

Guess I was looking for someone who had compared the two and had an idea of why the big price difference.

Imagine the only best way to choose is itinerary and interest rather than price (ouch!).

Still wondering what the past passanger discount is for Viking. Maybe a phone call would answer that.

Archived