White Pass Train - prebook or not?

ghisl

This has been addressed before but I'm still having a hard time being convinced one way or the other. Bottom line is that we definitely want to do it but would prefer to wait and see what the weather is like (ex...if it's rainy in the morning, we'll wait for the afternoon train). Their website strongly recommends we book through the cruise line (why is that?). Something else is also not clear to me - do they assign train cars specifically for those people who've booked through the cruise line? I've read that they fill them up to capacity. Meaning that if I was to buy my ticket on my own, I would likely have a less crowded car? We are travelling mid September. Any opinions grateful to hear. Thank you.

I just went and got my mastercard bill to let you know who I booked with.It was Chilkoot Charters.

There were not alot of people in our car so we could easily move around, you want to be on the left side of the train that is where the view is no comparision to the right. After the train take the bus up to Emerald Lake. You stop for lunch at an amazing place has alot to see. The bus ride back is in a van and the driver is young and very good. This was an amazing trip we also saw bears on the way back and the driver backed up so we could take pics.

Enjoy the cruise.

The "book through the ship" reference is because the White Pass is ship contracted. The cruiselines want their money. :) Independent and ship tours are in totally separate rail cars, They are NEVER together. No assigned seats either.

Going mid Sept, is going to have less crowds most likely anyway. Be well prepared in your attire, it can be cold at the summit.

Archived