Men's Fashions.. while were on the subject!

Since we have debated black tie, white tie,

to flip or to flop in the dining area....

I wanted to know who knows some GREAT mens fashion sites? We always post about us women... what about our men?

God knows we have to do everything else for them so why not pick out their clothes too?;)

( HappyKS started this for me b/c she posted some shoes for her hubbie I liked. It got me thinking.):rolleyes:

Let's here them.....

I love to buy my husbands clothes! After 25 years together, I still think he's quite a looker and he takes good care of himself.

However, he really doesn't like me to go out and spend money on him.

I do buy him at least one new silk sportshirt for every cruise we take. He doesn't wear Hawaiian prints any longer, so I look for solid colors. I buy him flat front slacks, I don't care for pleats. I like him in longer length shorts for daytime, cotton, linen or silk slacks in the evening.

I haven't gotten him to wear a tux since our wedding day, so he wears a solid black suit. I'm much more picky about his shirts than he is and I have also selected all of his ties. I like fine fabrics and silk ties, he says he can't tell a lot of difference. I've gotten him an assortment of shirts from white all the way to pink, for formal and semi-formal nights.

I think I'm doing a good job dressing him, he does get a lot of compliments from his clients (he's a mens hair designer) and the women he works with. He asks me to select his clothing when we are going out, I don't mind, it's kind of sweet.

I shop for him at a variety of places, hardly ever online. Mostly Robinson/May (although they are closing soon:( ) Macy's, Nordstrom, once in a blue moon JC Penney. We have a couple of nice mens shops close to here, Gary's, Tommy Bahama. We have our method of clothing him, I shop and bring everything home, he picks out what he likes and I take back what he doesn't like. It works well for us as he hates to go clothes shopping.

The best part is, he's fantastic with an iron. Far better than any cleaners we've ever used. He irons all his own clothes, plus all of our teenage sons clothes every week. It takes him about 3 hours, he's doing it right now. We know how to have a good time on a Saturday night!

The best part is, he's fantastic with an iron. Far better than any cleaners we've ever used. He irons all his own clothes, plus all of our teenage sons clothes every week. It takes him about 3 hours, he's doing it right now. We know how to have a good time on a Saturday night!

LOL!!:D

don't let him out of your sight.. lol.. my husband would ask "please do not iron my clothes, send them out".. now, that tells you how good an ironer I am...I have a great dryer with a dewrinkle cycle :D Hubby hated to go shopping but once you got him there,, watch out.. he was a salesman's dream come true.. so we only had to do that a couple of times a year when he needed new suits, shirts and ties for the office.. in between I would purchase casual stuff and bring it home to get the thumbs up or thumbs down..

Some suggested sites - Brooks Brother's - Ralph Lauren - Men's Wearhouse - Orvis - and for those who don't have the budget for the above Land's End.

While in Carleston, SC - Ben Silk and while in Bermuda The Sports Shop.

All offer very nice "resort Casual" wear. Brooks Brothers and Land's End offer trousers in Long rise for those men who do not like wearing their pants around their knees or who if they pull them to the waist do not like talking in a high voice.

Some suggested sites - Brooks Brother's - Ralph Lauren - Men's Wearhouse - Orvis - and for those who don't have the budget for the above Land's End.

While in Carleston, SC - Ben Silk and while in Bermuda The Sports Shop.

All offer very nice "resort Casual" wear. Brooks Brothers and Land's End offer trousers in Long rise for those men who do not like wearing their pants around their knees or who if they pull them to the waist do not like talking in a high voice.

I think you are referring to "Ben Silver" in Charleston. Very well respected shop with the locals here (though I still use Jos. A. Banks, Belks, and Men's Wearhouse too).

Bill

I think you are referring to "Ben Silver" in Charleston. Very well respected shop with the locals here (though I still use Jos. A. Banks, Belks, and Men's Wearhouse too).

Bill

Thank's for the correction. It is Ben Silver. Very up scale fashion wise. Might be too much for most cruisers.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

We really have semi/formal wear under wraps as he already owns a ton.

What I am really looking for is casual wear that could be worn on the ship /dinner?( Not necessarily the dining room)

Thinking along the lines of nice lightweight button down casual shirts.. linen pants or something lightweight as well?

He is a big buy but can carry that look well.

He HATES horizontal stripes, or really stripes at all, and won't go NEAR a plaid print!;)

I am thinking light, breezy, maybe "gauzy" weight fabric?:confused: :confused:

Also... what do your men wear on port days? My hubbie, although he could carry it off well, would NEVER wear a tank style shirt.

He will wear shorts but only if they are longer and nice. Will not wear jean shorts.

Suggestions ?

I would suggest Ralph Lauren, my DH is 6'4 and he buys from them. He shops for his casual stuff when he is on holiday as there is no more Ralph Lauren here. He has his business suits and shirts custom made here. They have nice solid polos and nice casual pants. They have a website.

I would also suggest brooks brothers, and if you happen to be in NYC, go to the men's Talbot's, don't know if the men's have a website. They are on Madison in mid 50's next to the woman's one. My DH got some nice casual stuff there.

Also Rochester Big & Tall has a website, since you said he is a big guy.

Also Eddie Bauer perhaps. I don't find the men's website of Saks to be great.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I don't have to iron. His shirts for work go out to a laundry service, he likes them done professionally. All clothing that needs ironing goes out to the dry cleaner. If it is something I want laundered (white shirt, white pants) I will wash it in the machine and send it out for "pressing only". I never wash by hand.

I just looked at the Ralph Lauren website. They have a section for big & tall, and a regular section, nice casual pants and shirts, I think you could find a similar look on their website. Also some nice longer length shorts.

ralph Lauren polo has some great soft linen men's shirts.. I bought some for my sons and they both love them, wear them to the office or out to dinner with casual pants, either way...

Oh, I wish my DH cared so much about how he dressed. He has clothes in his closet from 10 years ago. I throw them away and he sees them and pulls them back out. Luckily, I have a 16 year old DS (ok, some days it's lucky) who loves clothes. He loves polo shirts and oxford button downs for school, and has a much nicer tie collection than DH. He is the only one in my house who will need nothing but a new swimsuit for our upcoming cruise!

Tammy

Just went shopping Sat for DH. It was an all day experience. My husband loves clothes as much as I do, even though I don't think he'd admit it to anyone.

I was wondering do the men wear jacket and tie on the second formal night as well as the first. He's wearing a black suit first night and was wondering if just the coat and collared shirt would be exceptable on the 2nd? All the formal, semi formal, casual and resort casual can be very confusing.

bettycrocker, Your husband should wear his black suit again on the second formal night as well. He can wear the same shirt with a different tie. The shirt can be sent out to the ships laundry service, the suit can be pressed, if it needs it, they do a nice job.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

We really have semi/formal wear under wraps as he already owns a ton.

What I am really looking for is casual wear that could be worn on the ship /dinner?( Not necessarily the dining room)

Thinking along the lines of nice lightweight button down casual shirts.. linen pants or something lightweight as well?

He is a big buy but can carry that look well.

He HATES horizontal stripes, or really stripes at all, and won't go NEAR a plaid print!;)

I am thinking light, breezy, maybe "gauzy" weight fabric?:confused: :confused:

Also... what do your men wear on port days? My hubbie, although he could carry it off well, would NEVER wear a tank style shirt.

He will wear shorts but only if they are longer and nice. Will not wear jean shorts.

Suggestions ?

Again look at Brooks Brothers and Lands End as they both offer very nice conservative clothes that are both light and airy and they know how to fit the larger gentleman who does NOTwish to look like a moving billboard for poor taste.

Just went shopping Sat for DH. It was an all day experience. My husband loves clothes as much as I do, even though I don't think he'd admit it to anyone.

I was wondering do the men wear jacket and tie on the second formal night as well as the first. He's wearing a black suit first night and was wondering if just the coat and collared shirt would be exceptable on the 2nd? All the formal, semi formal, casual and resort casual can be very confusing.

First formal night depending on the line you will see from 80% down to 5% tuxes with most of the rest in a suit. On the second night all but a few tuxes are gone but the suit still hangs in there. Stick with the suit on both nights if you do not have the tux.

Bill

I think Tumeroll got Ben Siver and their silk ties mixed up!

I find a lot of my husband's casual clothes at Century 21 in New York but that isn't an option for everyone. Banana Republic has great men's casual stuff.

I totally forgot about Banana Republic!!!!! LOVE their stuff, and right up there where we are looking.

You know what... there is a Banana Republic store not far from us in downtown Chicago.

We were planning a great day of shopping together anyway, so I will definately put this on my list!

He is FUN to shop with because he gets really into my clothes AND his!:rolleyes: :D Gotta LOVE THAT!

Antway, thanks to all for the ideas and comments.

I wear my suit on both formal nights. The first with my white shirt and tie. The second formal night I have a dress mock turtleneck I wear under my jacket. In fact here I am on the Elation staircase last year in my suit and mock turtleneck the night of the second formal dinner.

mikeglasses.jpg

Archived