Cozumel excursion question

HarleyChick

Does anyone know what beach the catamaran sail and snorkel excursion goes to? We're cruising with a group that plans on doing this excursion, but my husband can't snorkel. So we'd like to spend the day at that same beach and meet them when the catamaran gets there.

Thanks for any help.

I did a non ship snorkel trip with Mayan Paradise tours. We went to three different reefs, nice cruising, boat had a bathroom and lots of free booze. Those who tired of snorkeking kicked back on the boat. It was supposed to be a 3.5 hour trip, but it was closer to five hours and we really got hammered at the end of the tour party- lots of fun! Only $45 per person and Nachi Beach club!

Don't do the Catamaran sail and snorkle offered by Carnival. I thought it was a rip off. I did it because I thought they would take us to some off shore reefs to snorkle. WRONG. they took us about a half mile from the ship near the shore and the coral was dead and there were not many fish. We snorkled there for about 30 min. (too long) and then went to their private beach. I think it was next to Paradise beach. The private beach had 4 or 5 kayaks, some floats, a few hammocks and a place to buy $8.00 hamburgers. The Catamaran didn't sail, it used it's motor.

I would recommend taking a taxi to Chakanaab park. you can snorkle there and hubby can relax on the beach. If you want to go out to a reef to snorkle check out Mayan Paradise Tours at snubacozumel.com. I haven't done their tour, but it looks good.

basser,

Thanks for the info. I don't even really want to snorkle, we just thought we'd try to meet up with the rest of our group at the beach after the snorkeling. Unfortunately, they are dead set on doing Carnival's excursion, a few have done it before and enjoyed it. It doesn't sound that great to me.

I didn't think of the possiblity that they would go to a private beach. I think we'll just stick with our plan to go to Nachi.

Thanks again.

We loved Chanakaab and it has something for everyone but it isn't a place where the Carnival tour goes. If you can convince your group...save your $$$ and go to Chanakaab. Tons of posts on this board...You can rent your snorkel equipment, swim with dolphins, see Mayan ruins (man-made and small but still), plus the view is incredible. There is also a restaurant, restrooms, lockers and bar service that comes right out on the beach. What we had for snacks was very reasonable. I remember $1 for a bottle of water. Best deal all week! There are palpayas with chairs that were the best. Chanakaab was the highlight of our cruise!!

I've also done the catamaran "sail" and "snorkle" and you'll be disappointed if it's those two activities that you're looking forward to. The snorkeling is very disappointing for Cozumel -- like described already, you're taken to a relatively deep water area within sight of the ship where there's nothing close to what you could see elsewhere around Cozumel. You're then taken to a private beach (no sailing involved) which is OK... all the typical beach amenities offered.

What attracts many people to this excursion is the free-flowing beer and "margaritas" that you get on the ride (45-60 minutes) between the snorkeling and beach stops (the margaritas aren't anything much more than some lemonade type mix and tequila, so don't get too excited about that). Nevertheless. many people are feeling pretty good by the time you get to the beach.

We much prefer somewhere like Chankanab. Great snorkeling, similar facilities and much cheaper.

What attracts many people to this excursion is the free-flowing beer and "margaritas" that you get on the ride (45-60 minutes) between the snorkeling and beach stops
This is exactly why they go on that excursion and there's no talking them out of it. I refuse to do a ship excursion.

Actually, my whole excursion aversion started on my honeymoon cruise in 1982 and has been enough to keep me from cruising until now--and it was a hard sell for them to even get me to go on this cruise.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to continue with my plan for a beach day for me and hubby. Nachi is the frontrunner right now, with Playa Palancar right behind.

Hey, can I add two Chanakaab questions? One, how is the food there compared to other places? And two, can you rent just flippers. We have our own snorkels and masks, but wondered if we should get flippers as well. Thanks.

Donna

DonnaD, You can rent only flippers or any part of the outfit. I have taken my own mask and snorkle and rented fins and a vest both times that I have been there. Thr first time the gave me a regular life jacket, so this time I asked for an inflatable snorkle vest and the gave me one. Apparently they have a few that you have to ask for. Have fun, the snorkling is great there.

Thanks Basser, one more question. If you are a strong swimmer do you recommend still using the vest? In the past the vest or belt has hindered me from diving below to see things closer. However in St. Thomas the water was very calm. I have, rather, er, large hips that act as a personal floatation device anyway. Have not snorkeled in Cozumel in 20 years so don't really remember how the current is/was.

Thanks again.

No problem with the current at Chakannab. You are right about the vest hindering you in getting up close, but I am not a strong swimmer so I use one. If I want to dive below the surface I deflate the vest and reinflate it when I surface.

I'm going to continue with my plan for a beach day for me and hubby. Nachi is the frontrunner right now, with Playa Palancar right behind.

Just returned from a week in Cozumel. I would go back to Playa Palancar in a heartbeat for a whole day. Although we've been to Cozumel 8 or 9 times, this was our first visit to Playa Palancar. By far, our choice if we are not going to snorkle. Playa Corona is our choice is we want to snorkle.

Judy

txadmin2,

I'm so glad to hear an opinion on Playa Palancar. It must really be off the tourist track because I can't get much information on it. I almost have myself talked into Nachi, but you might change my mind.

Can you tell me anything about the food and drink, especially prices. Do you know if they serve lobster? Do you have any idea how much the beers are?

Also, do they have lounge chairs on the beach?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Archived