Question About Wednesday's Sale ?!?

robtx100

I plan on booking my next cruise on Wednesday for Carnival's "Biggest One Day Sale Ever" (yeah, I know). I will be booking 2 balcony cabins; one with 4 people, one with 2 people. Would I have better luck booking an 8a upgraded to 8e GTY to try for an even better upgrade later? or Just book the 8a upgraded to 8e and choosing the cabins? We have never gotten a "surprise" upgrade with Carnival before, but have gotten last minute surprise upgrades with RCCL, Norwegian and Princess. This will be my 6th Carnival cruise.

I plan on booking my next cruise on Wednesday for Carnival's "Biggest One Day Sale Ever" (yeah, I know). I will be booking 2 balcony cabins; one with 4 people, one with 2 people. Would I have better luck booking an 8a upgraded to 8e GTY to try for an even better upgrade later? or Just book the 8a upgraded to 8e and choosing the cabins? We have never gotten a "surprise" upgrade with Carnival before, but have gotten last minute surprise upgrades with RCCL, Norwegian and Princess. This will be my 6th Carnival cruise.

From what I have gathered on these boards the GTY is really a luck of the draw. Id say book the cabin you want...that way you are not disappointed......

Just my opinion......I have booked rooms and been upgraded.....and I have booked rooms and not been upgraded......either way I was a room I was happy with originally.

Personally I prefer to know which cabin I'm getting...but I've never tried a guarantee either, so I can't really speak from experience.

However, that leads me to another question...

Just what is a good price for a balcony room on the Miracle, in February, for a past cruiser? I keep seeing all these 'GREAT SALES' from Carnival but whenever I contact my PVP, he says it's no better than what I have already.

I'm paying about $800/pp (including taxes) for an obstructed balcony room. Is that a good rate, or could I do better?

What do you think? :confused:

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention this is for the Feb. 4, 2007 Conquest. I believe the price of $799 is fair, so I plan to go ahead and book. However, the four in the other room are down to three now.

OUR BIGGEST ONE DAY SALE EVER

ONE DAY ONLY

FREE Upgrades!

Up to 8 categories!*

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Past Guest Pre-sale Day, Wednesday June 21, 2006

Call Your Personal Vacation Planner Now

*Cruise rates are in U.S. dollars, per person and are based on category 4A. Fare code must be requested to receive promotion. Offer is only combinable with Super Saver rates. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. Full deposit required at the time of booking, Offer is non-transferable and has no cash value. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Rates are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Upgrades available in categories 4A-8I. Excludes categories 1A/7A/6E/9A/11/12/IS/OV/BL/ST. Best available stateroom upgrades available within like cabin categories (Interior to Interior, Oceanview to Oceanview and Balcony to Balcony). Oceanview upgrade NOT available on Carnival Spirit, Pride, Miracle or Legend. Valid on new individual bookings made on June 21 & 22, 2006 on select sailings through 02/11/07. Excludes New Year's sailings and some other holidays. Other sail dates in range slightly higher. Additional blackout dates may apply. Some restrictions (including stateroom/category availability) apply. Credit for previous purchases is not permitted and guests who previously booked, cancelled and then rebooked during this period are not eligible. Request fare code CP1S. Ships' Registry: Panama & The Bahamas.

i booked a balcony guarantee last month for the legend 9-25-06, and with a past guest promotion like this one, i got upgraded to an 8i (extended balcony) and got to pick my room. this is my first balcony, and thought it was a good deal. we're driving to new york, so saving on the airfare we figured we'd get the balcony. we paid the guarantee price of 799. and got an 8i, so we saved about 250 each with the upgrade.

Haven't seen anything either. Wonder if my cruise is on sale???

Good point...wonder if my particular cruise is even on sale (Feb 4th). And...this would NOT be a new bookiing. In the fine print it reads:

"Valid on new individual bookings made on June 21 & 22, 2006 on select sailings through 02/11/07. :(

Oh well, I just emailed my PVP to see if there would be any discount/upgrades for my particular booking. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I emailed my TA also to see if I could get a better upgrade. I am booked and had already taken advantage of a previous one day sale. We booked an inside 4A, upgraded to a 4G. Now they are upgrading to 5A, a porthole cabin. I went to the Carnival website and put in fare code P1S. The rates came up, just like what I did last time to advance check the sale. Only this time the rate for our category is $100 higher, so I don't know if we will get the upgraded cabin to 5A with the current rate we are paying.

We booked on the last "best one day sale ever." We love guarantees and almost always book them. In this case we are being very frugal:) and going back to two inside cabins. We were able to pay the 4A guarantee price and take assigned 4g's. I asked if we could take a 4G guarantee for that price and we could not. The automatic upgrade had to be to a specific cabin. The CVS said they offer the auto upgrades to fill those higher category cabins on sailings where there's a lot of inventory at the higher end of each category because it's easier to fill the lower categories later on.

Ya got to love these "Best Ever One Day Sales" ecspecialy since they happen every 4 -6 weeks. :D We are booked with a group for 1/20/07 on The Triumph W. Caribbean. These "sales" are great because your friends can keep jumping on the trip with you. Lots of our friends have been able to pay the guarentee price on an inside room on the Rivierra deck and take the upgrade all the way up to an inside room on the Panorama deck. Not a bad deal if thats what you are looking for.

Guest YesitDonna

I love the GTY rooms. Last cruise I got the auto upgrade from a 1A to a 5A. Then a few days later I saw on my TA's site that they were offering a 6A for the same price I paid. After a few emails and them calling Carnvial I got upgraded to a 6A GTY. That was a great deal!!

Good point...wonder if my particular cruise is even on sale (Feb 4th). And...this would NOT be a new bookiing. In the fine print it reads:

"Valid on new individual bookings made on June 21 & 22, 2006 on select sailings through 02/11/07. :(

Oh well, I just emailed my PVP to see if there would be any discount/upgrades for my particular booking. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

mine was pretty good to me. I had booked originally on a one day sale about three months ago. They had a sale about 4 weeks ago which was 500.00 off a cabin and the best available upgrade. They had no problems switching me. I went from an interior guarantee to 8h extendend balcony for 50.00 extra pp

I emailed my TA also to see if I could get a better upgrade. I am booked and had already taken advantage of a previous one day sale. We booked an inside 4A, upgraded to a 4G. Now they are upgrading to 5A, a porthole cabin. I went to the Carnival website and put in fare code P1S. The rates came up, just like what I did last time to advance check the sale. Only this time the rate for our category is $100 higher, so I don't know if we will get the upgraded cabin to 5A with the current rate we are paying.

How weird...I used the above code to check our cruise, Ecstasy Sept 23, and the 4G is more than a 5A but when you book the 4G (or a,b,c,d) you are "upgraded" to a 5A. You'd pay more by being upgraded than buying the 5A outright. About $50 more. What a deal!:confused:

Okay, first my PVP tells me that I already have the past guest discount applied. No real surprise there though I have to admit that I could've been clearer in my email. So...I email him back, asking if I might get a better deal not going with the past guest discount but instead going with their BIG SALE discount.

So, then I get a new invoice reflecting a $30/pp decrease but my cabin's been changed! Mind you, it's not a better cabin but rather, worse (same category but worse location). I went from an obstructed balcony between a large and small lifeboat to a cabin behind a large lifeboat. :mad:

So then I sent him another email asking why he switched my cabin and he hasn't replied yet. So now I've left a voicemail telling him I want my cabin switched back. I'm contemplating calling and talking to someone else if he doesn't contact me soon...what do you think? :confused:

Okay, first my PVP tells me that I already have the past guest discount applied. No real surprise there though I have to admit that I could've been clearer in my email. So...I email him back, asking if I might get a better deal not going with the past guest discount but instead going with their BIG SALE discount.

So, then I get a new invoice reflecting a $30/pp decrease but my cabin's been changed! Mind you, it's not a better cabin but rather, worse (same category but worse location). I went from an obstructed balcony between a large and small lifeboat to a cabin behind a large lifeboat. :mad:

So then I sent him another email asking why he switched my cabin and he hasn't replied yet. So now I've left a voicemail telling him I want my cabin switched back. I'm contemplating calling and talking to someone else if he doesn't contact me soon...what do you think? :confused:

Everything's good...my PVP contacted me awhile ago and was able to switch me back to my original cabin and I still get the $30/pp discount, yipee! :D

Well, thanks again for all the advice about booking an exact cabin rather than gty. My PVP called today and said I could go ahead and take advantage of the sale and pick any balcony (other than suites and 9a) for the same price. We have never had an aft balcony so we chose one on the Empress deck. Now I really can't wait until Feb. 4th.

Thanks robtx100, I agree, it IS much easier to work directly with a PVP.

I'm curious though, it looks as though you're paying $799/pp for a balcony cabin and I'm paying $770/pp for an obstructed balcony (normal balcony is approx $150/pp more), and we're sailing on the exact same day and same length cruise. I wonder why the prices are so different...supply and demand maybe? :confused:

Oh well, I'm pretty happy with the deal I got. :)

So how did everyone else out there do on their deals today?

Request fare code CP1S.

I am a past guest and was curious about the prices on some of the fall New Orleans cruises. (Port that is within driving distance) But, when I enter the above fare code on their web site, under "promotional code," I get a message that it is invalid.

Do I actually have to talk to a PVP? I'm not sure that I am interested in that, since I wanted to just check around on prices, for fun.

Archived