Need info, Sheraton Waikiki, Hawaii--did we make a mistake?

lnew1gd1

Hi all,

I did a search for any info on the Sheraton Waikiki in Oahu but came up blank.

Have a question, anyone on the boards ever stay at this hotel? We need to stay in one of the Sheraton properties in Waikiki (using starpoints) pre-cruise. We have booked this hotel but have seen some poor reviews on Trip Advisor.

Anyone here able to shed some light on this hotel? Did we make a big mistake booking this one? Originally we planned on booking our pre-cruise stay at the Royal Hawaiian and we still have time to change our reservations.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Lynn

All of the recent reviews on Tripadvisor are positive. I'd suggest requesting a renovated room since all of the reviews for those are very positive. Royal Hawaiian looks good too but if you can use points for the Sheraton and it's only a one or two night pre-cruise stay it looks just fine for that! :) Some of the reviews mentioned that it might not be great for an extended Hawaii stay but that wouldn't apply in this case.

Enjoy...we can't wait to get back to Hawaii but with the baby it will be be a few years...can't imagine 2 long plane trips with him right now! LOL

I stayed there a few years ago. They use the hotel for conventions so it may get more wear and tear than others. BUT the staff was VERY nice....upgraded us to a full oceanvew room. We waited 3 or 4 hours PAST check-in time....wound up getting one free night and 2 free cocktails.

We had no complaints. The hotel was right on the beach...(waikiki beach is narrow though). Decent food. Went to the Halekulani for a mai tai....gorgeous property!

You can go over to Dukes Canoe Club for a good, reasonably priced breakfast buffet-and they have a decent dinner selection as well.

It's been a few years, but we enjoyed it!

There are two Sheraton hotels. One is the Sheraton Princess (we stayed at this one-it is across the street) the other one is the Sheraton Moana (this one is on the beach).

The Princess is fine for a couple nights. We have stayed there. It is close to all the action. I would also recommend asking for something on a higher floor that has been renovated, but if you don't get it, that's ok too. There is a bar (the bartenders name was Randy and he reminded us of Learch from the Adam's family-very tall and no personality) by the pool and a little eatery serving salads and hot dogs and things of that nature. I know there is also a restaurant w/ outside tables, but I cannot remember eating there.

We did eat at a revolving restaurant just down the street at sunset, it was very nice. Make sure you check out the Nike store with the 2- story aquarium. Our camera broke the first day we were there and we looked all over the place for a new one - what a waste. But, this did force us into the mall accross the street. There is a replica of a motorcyle in there completely made of wood. It was very neat. There's also a good seafood restaurant in the mall.

There is the Princess Kaiulani and the Moana, but I believe the OP is refering to the Sheraton Waikiki.

Good location, lots of places to eat nearby, try the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center--it's right outside you door.

Aloha,

Bev

We spent 4 nights there in the fall of 2004 and loved the hotel! It is in a great location and there are many places to eat that are within walking distance. The beach is very small though, so I walked next door to use the beach at the Royal Hawaiian which is larger. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

We stayed at the Sheraton Wakiki for week 3 Easters ago and had a great time. If you are Gold or Platinum, check you reservation online a few days before to check if you've been upgraded (cityview to oceanview, etc).

This is a very nice resort in a terrific location. You are within walking distance of the entire Wakiki strip, the International Market, and more ABC stores than you'd care to shop at.

You have access to the facilities at the other Sheraton properties (Royal Hawaiian "Pink Palace", Sheraton Moan Surfrider, and the Princess K.

http://www.starwoodhotelshawaii.com/ws_sopa.htm

I recommend checking out the following if you have the time:

The Polynesian Cultural Center

http://www.polynesia.com/

Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona Tour

Shopping at the Ala Moana Mall and Aloha Bowl Flea market

Plate Lunch (BBQ short ribs with scoop of rice and macaroni salad) various locations

Shaved Ice

Climb Diamond Head (as seen from this photo I took from our lanai at the Sheraton):

DSC00023.jpg.5c6b7552f8e876995c002a25e0b9d0cb.jpg

Climb Diamond Head (as seen from this photo I took from our lanai at the Sheraton):

Wow, that looks great! We booked an ocean front with view of Diamond head so we probably will not get an upgrade. :( Already using 11,500 points per night for our reservation :eek: Hope we have a view like the one you had.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will definitely do most of that (I plan, so let's see if the plans stick! LOL)

Thanks for your reply. :)

Lynn

Archived