Does this look too bridesmaid-y?

Okay, so I was rooting through my closet the other day and lo and behold found the bridesmaid dress that I wore for my best friend's wedding. The pic I found for this dress is not exactly the way my dress looks. My dress is a candy apple red chiffon strapless gown with front gathers and overlay panel that falls to a really short little train in the back. And it doesn't have that rhinestone pin on the side like it does in the pic. I'm not sure if I like the train on my dress but don't really want to spend any money hemming it, either. Maybe I'll just take scissors and cut off the train. Ha. Just kidding. That would look so tacky!:p

Anyway, I figure it would be a good formal dress but my question is: Upon first looking at the dress, does it look too bridesmaid-y?

I really lilke the dress, but I'm not too crazy about trains. When I bought "THE DRESS" I loved everything about it - except the train, which I immediately instructed the dressmaker to whack off. (BTW, my dressmaker did take the scissors to my dress and just cut off the train.) I love to have a dance (or ten) with my DH, especially on formal nights. We both love to dance, but sometimes suffer from two left feet. I hought it was much safer, not only for us, but also for our felow passengers on the dance floor to be without it.

Getting back to [U]your[/U] dress, I think it is really lovely and certainly not too "bridesmaidy". I especially love the color. The train perhaps would have to go - can't really say unless I saw a picture of it as train lengths really vary.

Unless your dress is a lot different from the one pictured, I think it would look smashing for formal night. That's one of the prettiest bridesmaid's dresses I've ever seen. As far as the train goes, if it's not too long, maybe; I'd have to see it to really judge.

Lovely dress!!

Regarding the train -- best case would be to have a dressmaker hem it for you.

Another alternative would be to pin up the train (folded underneath), so it's out of the way but not a ragged edge like if you just took scissors to it.

The train will be a PITA (pain in the ...) walking around the ship and trying to dance.

Being in the bridal business, my suggestion is to "bustle" the train. Put the dress on and have someone else pick up a spot maybe 10 or 12" (distance depends on the length of the train, could be more or less) up from the hem to the point where it brings the hem of the train off the floor. Pin that point to the back of the gown. (this should be right on the back seam) Once you get the right length, pin it in the spot. You then can either use a safety pin (inside) sew it, from the inside or sew a little hook on the dress and a little loop on the lower part, if you want to be able to unbustle it at some point. I hope this helps.
JoAnn

[quote name='chopstix2000']Okay, so I was rooting through my closet the other day and lo and behold found the bridesmaid dress that I wore for my best friend's wedding. The pic I found for this dress is not exactly the way my dress looks. My dress is a candy apple red chiffon strapless gown with front gathers and overlay panel that falls to a really short little train in the back. And it doesn't have that rhinestone pin on the side like it does in the pic. I'm not sure if I like the train on my dress but don't really want to spend any money hemming it, either. Maybe I'll just take scissors and cut off the train. Ha. Just kidding. That would look so tacky!:p

Anyway, I figure it would be a good formal dress but my question is: Upon first looking at the dress, does it look too bridesmaid-y?[/QUOTE]

Goodness no! that is the kind of bridesmaid dress YOU WISH the bride would pick out so you could wear it again.

Lovely dress.

Can't stand to wear a train because you have to baby sit it all night.

Don't step on that!

Watch your feet!

Honey, please get your chair off my dress!

Argh! It's dragging on the bathroom floor!

RRRiiiiippppppppp!!!!! Crap.

Guest suzeycruisey
Beautiful dress! I love the color. I agree w/others about the train though--although my reason for cutting it off would be my clumsiness and the fact that I would inevitably trip over it. :)

I don't think it looks too bridesmaid-y at all...you will look wonderful. Enjoy!

I like the dress, very pretty. I'd also suggest you check into having a tailor or dressmaker remove the train. You'll never wear it again as a bridesmaid dress, taking the train off might make it useable perhaps even a third time.

I like the pin on the side, as well, have you given any thought to finding a brooch or pin to place there, to further distance it away from its original intent, as a bridesmaid dress?

Edit to say, I should have written hem the train.

It's very nice. I only wish that I had a dress like that when I was a bridesmaid. Mine were hideous, and I couldn't be paid enough to wear again. Although that was in the days of bows and puffiness. Beautiful dress, enjoy!!

Archived