Best way to get to port from MIA the day of?

mdxter

Guys,

Anyone here knows how much Carnival charges for transportation from Miami international to port for 6 people? I am contemplating renting a car from the airport, dropping everyone off @ port, and return the car to the airport location and take their shuttle to port. What do you think of the plan? or should I just take a cab?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mdxter

Don't know for certain about the Carnival cost but most other lines charge $20 per person for the round trip. Cab fare has always been about $20 one way.

For the 2 of us it works out the same except that we don't have to wait for the bus to fill up.

We have done vans when there are 4 of us. However, I don't think that 6 will fit in a regular van.

Charlie

Thanks for the information everyone. But there are 5 adults and an eight month old. You can imagine the luggage. I don't imagine that the rate would be the same ($24.00) flat each way for a van cab rate.

I was thinking maybe rent a big car and drop off our luggage @ the port early around maybe 10:00 AM and then return the car for 12:00 noon. Afterwards, just take the car rental shuttle back to port?

Has anyone done this?

My first thought it take 2 cabs, easier and cheeper than renting and returning a car. However, with an 8 month old, you will need a car seat. So, maybe taking the cruise line bus would be easier so you dont have to worry about lugging the car seat.

If you really want to rent a car, look into who has rental sites at the port. I know they exists,just dont know who through. You can rent at the airport and return at the port.

My first thought it take 2 cabs, easier and cheeper than renting and returning a car. However, with an 8 month old, you will need a car seat. So, maybe taking the cruise line bus would be easier so you dont have to worry about lugging the car seat.

If you really want to rent a car, look into who has rental sites at the port. I know they exists,just dont know who through. You can rent at the airport and return at the port.

Rent the car through hotwire and you can get a sedan large enough for your family and their luggage for around $20.

Thanks for the help.

Thrifty @ MIA has a shuttle to and from Port. They will drop you off @ the port once you drop off the car @ MIA. Also, they will pick up with shuttle from port to bring you to MIA for a car rental.

Here is the plan

Since my flight is coming in @ 9 AM, I am planning to book a car (35.00 total), drop off everyone and their luggage @ port (two trips if I have to), and go to a store for some last minute items. Then return the car @ MIA and take the shuttle back to port.

My flight home won't be until 2:30 PM, I am planning to take the Thrifty Shuttle from port to MIA, pick up the car (45.00), come back and pick up everyone and return the car to MIA.

What do you guys think?

Since my flight is coming in @ 9 AM, I am planning to book a car (35.00 total), drop off everyone and their luggage @ port (two trips if I have to), and go to a store for some last minute items. Then return the car @ MIA and take the shuttle back to port.

My flight home won't be until 2:30 PM, I am planning to take the Thrifty Shuttle from port to MIA, pick up the car (45.00), come back and pick up everyone and return the car to MIA.

What do you guys think?

JMHO:

• Flight arrives on time 0900.
  • Disembark the plane, go to luggage area and collect luggage by 0930.
  • I believe that you need to take the Thrifty shuttle to their lot for pick up. With ½ of the party. Arrive @ Thrifty 1000
  • Pick up the car. If they have a quick check in system great. Otherwise, allow 45 minutes. Leave Thrifty @ 1045. Make sure that you have a car with car seat for the infant.
  • Allow at least ½ hour from MIA to the port - Arrive at the dock 1115
  • Drop off time 10 minutes. Leave Port @ 1125
  • Return to MIA - ½ hour Arrive @ 1155
  • Pick up the other ½ of the party (Who have been at MIA for 3 hours) Allow 15 minutes to find and load. Depart MIA 1210
  • ½ hour back to the port and another 10 minutes to unload. Leave the port at 1250
  • ½ hour back to MIA & the Thrifty lot. Arrive 1320.
  • Return the car (no time, quick check out) and get on the bus to go back to the port.
  • Shuttle leaves within 15 minutes (more or less, just a guess) and takes ½ hour back to the port. Arrive @ 1405.
  • Rejoin your party and get in line to check in for the cruise. Finished at 1415.

Personally, it is more that I would want to try. I'd be going to the curb at MIA. Have the cab dispatcher arrange appropriate transportation (probably one van and one cab) and be at the port with our entire party by 1100.

The last time that we used a van was at Tampa Airport and the cost was the same as for a cab. The van held 4 of us and all of our luggage with no problem.

Again, JMHO

Charlie

PS - Just found this LINK to a list of Miami cab companies. They should be able to tell you the cost of using a van. 98C

I would just do it by cab. If you can get a mini van you might be surprised and all fit in just one. If you have to do 2 cabs your total cost with tips is around $56.

So to save $20 you are going to run yourself ragged, drive in unfamiliar areas, pay tolls on the Airport expressway, etc.

Have one less round of drinks on the ship if you need to save that twenty, but save yourself all the hassle and just go via cab.

Heck, I'm going to need transportation to MSY when I arrive in NO December 2 on the Grandeur repo, I'll happily pay you that twenty for a ride.

Thanks guys,

The arguement was pretty convincing. What was I thinking?? I have just canceled my car reservations.

Sometimes it is just not worth it.

Now to more important matters, deciding what to do in ports. Any suggestions?

I would love to do the cave tubing in Belize but with an infant I must deviate to doing some thing else instead.

Archived