A question for New Yorkers & past Spirit cruisers

pengu1n

I have searched without success for an answer to this question. Either before or after our cruise, we would like to stop by ground zero. Is this anywhere near the cruise terminal? Can we drop our luggage, check in and go see it or is it too far away? Once you check in, can you get back off the ship?

Here's our time frame: our flight should arrive at La Guardia at 9:45 am and the cruise leaves at 4 pm. I assume you must be on board 1 hr ahead of sailing. Supposed to take about an hour to get to the ship from the airport. It seems that we would have about 2 hours to get to/ and back from ground zero before the cruise.

Afterwards, the time is tighter. Ships arrives at 8 am & our flight is at 1:29 pm.

Thanks for any information.

The only place you can leave your luggage is to check it onto the ship and then take you carry on's with you to ground zero and come back. Ground zero is exactly three miles from the terminal. What I would do if I was you is take a cab from the airport and have them wait for you as you go to ground zero and then head back to the ship. Waiting time for the cabb is $12.00 per hour and he can wait for you. Have him take the BQE to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and go up church street and he can drop you off and wait for you as you see it(he may have to go around the block...tip him generously.....

Assuming you get to the pier around 11am, you can check your main bags with the porters and then head down to Ground Zero. The closest subway to the pier is 50th St and 8th Ave (approx. 10 min walk). Take the E train downtown; it terminates at the World Trade Center, so you can't miss your stop. The ride takes approx. 20 minutes. The walk from the WTC subway station to Ground Zero is maybe 5 minutes. In total, you should be able to make it down to Ground Zero in 45 min to an hour, assuming you're not familiar with directions, streets, the subway, etc. That means you can easily get down to Ground Zero and back to the pier in 3 hours, which includes time to walk around the site without feeling rushed. That would get you back to the pier at 2pm, which still gives you a buffer in case you're delayed somewhat.

The only place you can leave your luggage is to check it onto the ship and then take you carry on's with you to ground zero and come back. Ground zero is exactly three miles from the terminal. What I would do if I was you is take a cab from the airport and have them wait for you as you go to ground zero and then head back to the ship. Waiting time for the cabb is $12.00 per hour and he can wait for you. Have him take the BQE to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and go up church street and he can drop you off and wait for you as you see it(he may have to go around the block...tip him generously.....

I second this! It's the easiest and best thing to ensure you are not late for the ship.

I thought about doing that (asking the cab to wait) but was worried he might just drive off with the luggage and we'd never see it again . . . Do I worry too much?:(

Get his taxi number. Most cabs it should be no problem. Can I guarantee you it won't be a problem....no but if you haven't paid him and he understands what you are doing it is the easiest to do. I would rip a fifty dollar bill and give him half....

or two twenties...

I thought about doing that (asking the cab to wait) but was worried he might just drive off with the luggage and we'd never see it again . . . Do I worry too much?:(

I've never heard of that happening. However, do write down the taxi number as soon as you get into the taxi. It's on a card with the driver's photo on the paritition between you and the front seat. It's also lit up at the top of the taxi.

Archived