Honolulu dinner Cruises

Giantfan13

We are staying a few days in Honolulu before we cruise. We just got our Entertainment Book for Hawaii. In the book there are a couple of 2 hour 'Dinner Cruises'. Has anyone done any of these before or have any info on them. With a 'Buy One Get One Free' deal, it seems like a good thing, but I thought I nread somewhere that these outings aren't very good. Any info???

Greetings - I just found my way to these boards...what a great resource!

I did a sunset dinner cruise back in March of 2005. I think the ship's name was the Ali'i Kai...but maybe I am confusing that with my whale-watching tour!

The dinner cruise was not one of the highlights of my trip, although your experience might be different. Because the seas were a bit rough, there was some question as to whether or not we would be able to actually get out to sea...or if we would just go around in circles in the harbor!

We did end up being able to leave the harbor. However, the food wasn't the best -- which I suppose is to be expected with any excursion. The boat was huge, but there was very limited space on the top deck to actually watch the sunset from outside.

Finally, a huge tanker ended up blocking much of our view of the sunset...what are the odds? :(

I actually had a much better experience spluging for a nice dinner at the Hanohano Room, which is on the 30th floor of the Waikiki Sheraton. Great view, great staff, and a FANTASTIC view of the sunset.

I'd hate to tell you NOT to do the cruise and have you miss out on something fantastic. My suggestion would be to see if you can research the specific company on the Internet before making a final decision.

-- Kimberly

Actually, the upscale dinner on the Star of Honolulu is supposedly pretty good. Our local paper did a write up on it in the past ... lessee. Ah, here it is:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Jul/10/en/en02a.html

Spleen

I did Star of Honolulu dinner cruise for my birthday - very good!:) They got "Best" awards from the Star Bulletin and Advertiser papers. They allways have special dinner menus and This summer they will start a package with the Cirque Hawaii, too, if you like the Cirque type of shows. :)

My husband and I did a Windjammer dinner cruise in 1990. I know that it was a looong time ago, but it was a fabulous time. I hope that the Windjammer is still sailing. The food was okay, but the ship was what the expererience was all about for us. The Windjammer was an old sailling ship. We were hoping to actually sail, but we only experienced the motor driven adventure. :rolleyes: Even so the creaking of the ship while it plowed through the waves was great fun. We had plenty of time to explore the ship before they called us to dinner. Then they encouraged everyone to go out of the deck to get the experience of being out to sea on a sailing ship. A few land lubbers wouldn't go up on deck, but most of us were throughly enjoying the adventure.

The ship sailed along Wakiki to the edge of Diamond Head then turned to go back. The captain explained that if we had gone much further past Diamond Head we would have been blasted by the heavy winds. As we sailed back the lights of Wakiki came on with a disappearing Diamond Head in the background. It was a sight that I will remember the rest of my life. :p

I don't know if it is still in the Hawaii Entertainment book, but, the last time we were in Honolulu, we took a dinner cruise on the Navatek (spelling could be wrong). We had a Buy One/Get One coupon. They picked us up at the hotel, dropped us off afterward. it is a catamarin, so it was very smooth. All in all, a nice evening

Archived