can anyone tell me how the Carnival Vacation Club works?

ck53

I looked into it on our cruise last month because I travel on carnival so often....here is my opinion.

You pay a lot of money (between 7500-15000) to pre-buy cruises. Then you get all sorts of great gifts, priority boarding etc.......The gifts in my opinion were nothing worth giving them my money up front. I already priority boarding because I am a repeat cruiser. Sort of like buying a time share.

I am not sure why carnival thought that people would like this but for them it gives the extra revenue to work with.

Hope that helped a bit

I am a member, of CVC and can tell you that so far they have been great. On our last cruise, they took care of us via priority debarkation. We waited in a room with a continental breakfast and were the first off the ship for the “non-self-serve” group. My friend who was “self-serve” was the first off in his group.

On that cruise, we had a CVC member only party and a gift in our room. The club also paid for a few Long Island doubles.

Everyone has their own opinion but our experience has been great. We booked Sensation in August through CVC and are about 62 dollars cheaper per person for an Ocean View lowest Cat.

I will say this, many complain that CVC is not Carnival. Well that was the first question I asked them. They did not try to cover it up. When I joined they called 3 times to welcome me and made sure I understood the program. They have been very honest and upfront and were consistent with what the salesman stated on the sales pitch.

Main onboard perks are:

priority Embarkation and Debarkation

a gift, probably a bottle of wine or something like that.

Priority on Excursions - before cruise

Priority Dinning Room Seating - before cruise

SPA discounts

These benefits extend to all Cruise lines under the “Leading Cruise Lines” company in different forms. Such as the procedures for Embark or debark on other lines may do it differently and so the benefit is extended in the way the specific line handles it.

For the best experience, wherever CVC (Carnival Only) is onboard which stands at 6 ships and likely Freedom and newer ships thereafter.

So Far

Carnival Conquest,

Carnival Pride

Carnival Spirit

Carnival Valor

Carnival Glory

Carnival Miracle

With CVC onboard you get private CVC party and concierge service among other benefits.

Other benefits are the Resort Certs that pay for a 7night or 3night Resort Stay and there are a lot from the lists I went through around the world.

You also get air certs paying for flights

The amount of certs depends on the package you buy.

You can also extend the benefits to friends and family

The main point of CVC is to get you go guarantee future cruises (# based on the package you buy via points and how well you manage them) within the parent company. They have different packages for whatever you wish to spend.

I am a member, of CVC and can tell you that so far they have been great. On our last cruise, they took care of us via priority debarkation. We waited in a room with a continental breakfast and were the first off the ship for the “non-self-serve” group. My friend who was “self-serve” was the first off in his group.

On that cruise, we had a CVC member only party and a gift in our room. The club also paid for a few Long Island doubles.

Everyone has their own opinion but our experience has been great. We booked Sensation in August through CVC and are about 62 dollars cheaper per person for an Ocean View lowest Cat.

I will say this, many complain that CVC is not Carnival. Well that was the first question I asked them. They did not try to cover it up. When I joined they called 3 times to welcome me and made sure I understood the program. They have been very honest and upfront and were consistent with what the salesman stated on the sales pitch.

Main onboard perks are:

priority Embarkation and Debarkation

a gift, probably a bottle of wine or something like that.

Priority on Excursions - before cruise

Priority Dinning Room Seating - before cruise

SPA discounts

These benefits extend to all Cruise lines under the “Leading Cruise Lines” company in different forms. Such as the procedures for Embark or debark on other lines may do it differently and so the benefit is extended in the way the specific line handles it.

For the best experience, wherever CVC (Carnival Only) is onboard which stands at 6 ships and likely Freedom and newer ships thereafter.

So Far

Carnival Conquest,

Carnival Pride

Carnival Spirit

Carnival Valor

Carnival Glory

Carnival Miracle

With CVC onboard you get private CVC party and concierge service among other benefits.

Other benefits are the Resort Certs that pay for a 7night or 3night Resort Stay and there are a lot from the lists I went through around the world.

You also get air certs paying for flights

The amount of certs depends on the package you buy.

You can also extend the benefits to friends and family

The main point of CVC is to get you go guarantee future cruises (# based on the package you buy via points and how well you manage them) within the parent company. They have different packages for whatever you wish to spend.

Couldnt have said it better myself...I have no complaints, and it was well worth my money to join. They have been great!

I will add this, the lowest package is 3400 the 7500+ simply is a lot more points. So far the prices through CVC have been cheaper than anywhere I can find on the net and I check everyday. CVC if beaten will guarantee a lower price anyway, the only price they will not beat is if it is found on Ebay.

As for past guests benefits, yes a couple of my friends had priority embark but not debark. In Galv when customs was holding everything up this benefit came in handy.

Bottom line, the onboard benefits in some of them can be matched with other deals out there I am sure and many do not go for it.

I am going on the Sensation in August and will report on how well CVC delivers there.

So far the price paid is the best.

Sadly of all the posts I have read, it is running about 4 to 1 against CVC.

Some of the disappointments have been the inability to redeem those $299 for a 7 day land resort coupons. And the fact that the companion airfare has turned out to be basically worthless, because you have to pay top dollar for the first ticket.

The price you pay for a cruise also get confusing because you actually spend 25 cents per point when you buy the package, but CVC makes it sound like you are getting a great deal because you only "spend" 17.5 cents per point for the cruise. Of course, the obvious question is where did the 7.5 cents per point of actual cash that you paid them go? Some say to administrative costs (which is probably the most accurate). But it causes great confusion and gives the impression of "slight of hand".

The bottom line is that (based on the actual 25 cents per point that you pay)

the cruise will not be any less expensive than an internet deal you can get. However, to some people who are not Platinum yet, the VIP Check In and priority debarkation (and the parties ~ which are only held on ships that have CVC offices which is another complaint) is worth the money. Personally, I would only invest in CVC if the "cruise perks" were worth it to me. I would not count any of the "land resort perks or airfare" in my decision.

The folks who seem to have gotten the most for their money are folks who are flexible. Those who purchase points "for that specific cruise" have posted their disappointments.

As with anything, get everything in writing. These salesmen are professionals. They work for ICE who have sold time share for years, so they know what they are doing. You have to be just as informed.

Residents of North Carolina are not allowed to purchase these packages. Sadly, I have experienced salesmen trying to get NC folks to use a false address in order to be able to sell them this package. Personally, that was a red flag. If you "run out of points" you have to "rent" them at 31 cents per point. But residents of the State of Washington are not allowed to do that.

It is just like a time share in the fact that it works for some folks and does not work for some folks. And sadly, it does give have that "cheesy" feel to it. So buyer beware.

Im a member of the Carnival Vacation Club myself, Wendy and I really enjoy all of the perks and savings, even the 2 for 1 airfares etc.

I will be renewing my membership this coming April on the Spirit where I signed up to begin with. The 4 Cruises I took were pretty much pre-paid and the upgrades were awesome.

I have posted alot of info on this subject, just do a Search and you will find them all. I love this program, it works great for us.

Fred

Just a heads up, Wennfred also has an inside track on a great CVC travel assistant. Just like using a TA or PVP, it is all in who you know. When folks get serious about booking, you should email Wennfred!!

That is true about the cents per points, however the translation is not true in point value for purchase. In other words you turn your money into Carnival Cash which goes farther than Cash in a purchase of a cruise.

For example, I have used 2774 points on OV which translates in cash to 235.79 pp(2) in the translated cash @ 0.17 but this value includes ALL FEES.

Ok so now I look for the best rate on Orbitz for the same cruise and room which is currently @ 302.00 pp

Ok I do not know if orbitz includes all fees but lets assume so.

Orbitz total: $604

CVC: $471.58 + VIP perks

If Orbitz goes lower CVC will beat it with a simple call.

Now bottom line in the block of points purchased you can @ value fit more cruises versus keeping the money in cash and purchasing.

I have not used the resorts, so I cannot comment yet.

The best cruise rates are often group rates - I have found deals with cabin credits, private parties, etc., all for much less than any advertised rate. I don't think CVC can beat that.

My opinion is that CVC sells cruises for about what you can get them for directly from Carnival at everyday prices. Not "one-day" or "last minute" prices.

People with inside connections can get favors, and to that I say "so what" -- if everyone can't get them, they are not really there, despite what the insiders tell. So I discount comments on "great upgrades" and the like.

CVC is a way for Carnival to get money out of your account sooner, so you lose the benefit of that money. You are limited in the cruises you can go on for a discount - go when you want and you will pay full price. Go when there are deals, and you could have had those deals without CVC.

I get the same type of "2 for 1" airfare voucher from a credit card, and often 2 discount tickets are less than 1 ticket that qualifies for the voucher. I would not call it a scam, it is just not a better deal than you can get without CVC.

Bottom line (and we'll see if any "satisfied" CVC members care to debate this) - when you shell out cash for a membership, someone at CVC pockets a nice sales commission. We're talking really nice. Enough to earn a living at. That's money that is not going to Carnival to buy your cruise. Carnival is getting less than you paid, so guess what translates to for you: you get less than you paid for also.

Well I am a satisfied CVC member but do not understand the negative posts towards CVC unless from a previous member.

As for group rates, CVC will beat it as this falls under the family and friends scenario.

But that said how many sail under group rates most I know who have sailed many times max are about 10. I know this board can generate very large groups and that is great, but this is stretching things a bit and groups as large as the ones created here create inflexibility as well as in not everyone can attend or may not want to.

So in that case we all pay for being inflexible.

CVC also follows the same schedule as would and discount, for Seniors and repeat business and the friends and family.

However, the bottom line is in overall cost in what you put into the plan is going to save you money in what I have experienced that is if you are going to cruise a lot in the future, if not than perhaps not but the packages are sold on that premise.

The overall package with the savings, certs for hotel and airfare and onboard make it IMO a great value. Beyond my opinion and my cruising thus far in hard cash CVC is coming out ahead.

That is true about the cents per points, however the translation is not true in point value for purchase. In other words you turn your money into Carnival Cash which goes farther than Cash in a purchase of a cruise.

For example, I have used 2774 points on OV which translates in cash to 235.79 pp(2) in the translated cash @ 0.17 but this value includes ALL FEES.

Ok so now I look for the best rate on Orbitz for the same cruise and room which is currently @ 302.00 pp

Ok I do not know if orbitz includes all fees but lets assume so.

Orbitz total: $604

CVC: $471.58 + VIP perks

If Orbitz goes lower CVC will beat it with a simple call.

Now bottom line in the block of points purchased you can @ value fit more cruises versus keeping the money in cash and purchasing.

I have not used the resorts, so I cannot comment yet.

I am glad you are pleased with the service. But this is where all the discussion has some in. You did not pay 17 cents per point for that cruise. You paid 25 cents per point actual money out of your pocket, when you bought this package, which means that cruise cost you $693.50.

CVC can tell you that this "mystical" price per point is 15 cents, if it will make you feel better...but the bottom line is they took 25 cents per point out of your bank account. How CVC "allocates" it on their books does not change the fact that you paid it.

I know the 7.5 cents (or 8 cents) per point is used to pay the salesmen's commissions, overhead etc...but the bottom line is that YOU paid those fees. So ultimately, your cruise cost you more than 17 cents per point.

Again, the proof that these cruises cost more than 17 cents per point is the fact that if you have to buy more points, they cost you 31 cents per point. That money does not go to land resort discounts or companion airfare or other noncruise perks.

I looked into it on our cruise last month because I travel on carnival so often....here is my opinion.

You pay a lot of money (between 7500-15000) to pre-buy cruises. Then you get all sorts of great gifts, priority boarding etc.......The gifts in my opinion were nothing worth giving them my money up front. I already priority boarding because I am a repeat cruiser. Sort of like buying a time share.

Where did you get your figures? I paid $3,500 for 14,000 points in May 2004. That is less than half of the lowest figure you mentioned. The next level up is $5,000 for 20,000 points.

I haven't ever heard anything good about it from anyone that has it.

I have it, I have used some of my points, and I have no complaints. I was treated better than a plantinum member (because I got all the perks a plantium member gets plus some the plantinum member does not get). The only negative is that it adds about 10% to the cost of the cruise. However, there are also non-cruise perks.

LHP

I cannot agree with that, the point in value to a cruise purchase is higher than the value cash has against the purchase. Otherwise it would be worthless.

I can fit more cruises in the points than I can with cash is what I am getting at. I could care less what the translation is in cents. I care about the value in the amount of cruises I get.

Ok here are the numbers:

I went with orbitz on the same cruise and cabin the cost came to 805.61 for everything after taking all the way through the process.

CVC 2774 points

Ok so let’s do the math.

CVC can fit 5 cruises for the points I bought which is 14000 @ $3490

OR I could pay $4028.05 for the same 5 cruises @ 805.61

SO while your math is correct in hard cash the VALUE of the point is greater and skews it.

Overall savings with this scenario is $538.50

That does not even include the resorts or airfare certs or VIP perks.

Were you a member or are?

I bought the silver package in 2005. I have called CVC twice this week trying to get a better price match for better deals I found on different websites. Mentioned the "price guarantee" they claim they have. On both calls with two different rep's, they claim they can ONLY price match Carnivals lowest price, no other website's lowest price.

I do believe that we will never get the 2 (were told 2 if we if chose the most expensive ships, dates, cabins etc.) or 4 cruises (if we had flexibility, older ship, cheaper cabin, etc) we were told we would get. We will be lucky to get two if we go at impossible times for us, one if we go when our schedule allows us.

The perks they offer are expensive in our calculations, and we never plan on using the resort stays or airfare, etc.

Just a heads up, Wennfred also has an inside track on a great CVC travel assistant. Just like using a TA or PVP, it is all in who you know. When folks get serious about booking, you should email Wennfred!!

I could definitely use his help. Please help me book, Wennfred.

Ok I have somewhat of an idea 14000 points cost 3590 which is .25 a point, right? I think CVC is doing a number on folks with regards to that, who buys cruises with points? I think it might be a deliberate attempt to confuse. For example

2 pp cruise OV costs 6000 points 6000x.25 = $1500 OTD

If you can find a better price than that on any website OTD then it is not a value, if you can't then it's all good. I don't think any reasonable person is going to forget that 7.5c that has now disapeared in the balance.

6000x17.5=1050 hey that's even better, but wait I paid .25 to buy the points, you can't forget that.

Ok I have somewhat of an idea 14000 points cost 3590 which is .25 a point, right? I think CVC is doing a number on folks with regards to that, who buys cruises with points? I think it might be a deliberate attempt to confuse. For example

2 pp cruise OV costs 6000 points 6000x.25 = $1500 OTD

If you can find a better price than that on any website OTD then it is not a value, if you can't then it's all good. I don't think any reasonable person is going to forget that 7.5c that has now disapeared in the balance.

6000x17.5=1050 hey that's even better, but wait I paid .25 to buy the points, you can't forget that.

I may have to go to expedia's website, and then call them for a test. The first CVC agent I spoke to this week stopped me from even telling her which website it could be found on, and actually, I found the same price on two different websites and one of them is very reputable so I feel it couldnt be a questions about if the company / website is reputable, because the rep never let the conversation get that far, and one of the agencies has a great record.

The second agent did the same when I asked her about the price match guarantee...did not want to hear about it. Both were very nice toned, but firm on what they claim they policy is; only can match carnivals lowest price. For the first rep, I even read what the contract says about the "price match guarantee," but it made no difference to her.

I will check on expedia and see what there prices are and then call them back up. Maybe if I am persistent enough!

My husband and I went to listen to their representative on the Conquest. For us, it was not a good deal. We book far in advance and watch for sales. They could not match the price we paid on the Conquest. It would have cost us much more than any cruise we have ever been on.

Archived