can anyone tell me how the Carnival Vacation Club works?

ck53

Enjoy, that is not good at all, let me know how the tests goes. I cannot believe it, I know beyond myself of 3 others that used the price guarantee.

Nagster

No it is 14000pts for 3490 @ 17.5 cents, that is what is in my contract. Moreover, read my post on the VALUE comparison (1st page). It is not hard cash that you count but value in Cruises. I did one scenario were there was a $538 savings.

Look when I experience what Enjoy has or find that CVC is price beaten, I will be the first to post the numbers or situation.

Well, i called today with a different ship and day, and they gave me a reasonable rate. This is the first time I call that I find their price is a good value.

This is my question: They gave a point quote I am satisfied with, but they wont let me get the free upgrade that carnival is offering today. They said that it would be for the cabin that I would book, minus the upgraded cabin. Does anyone who has used them have anything to advice for me as to getting the upgrade?

Thanks,

Ok so they assigned you a cabin #? What I did for my last booking is use the website they have and call them up and wait for them to give a pt quote and then give them the site's. I picked a Cat. @ Point level GTY, they will not let you do GTY?

Ok so they assigned you a cabin #? What I did for my last booking is use the website they have and call them up and wait for them to give a pt quote and then give them the site's. I picked a Cat. @ Point level GTY, they will not let you do GTY?

When I booked my cruise they offered me a guarantee. I turned it down, as I wanted a specific cabin.

They may do a guarantee. I didn't ask. I will ask, but I was wondering if they would participate in the free upgrade because I think I will try to get two cabins next to each other and we would be traveling with teenagers and therefore, I would not want a guarantee. ALthough I have had great success witha guarantee, this time I may not choose it.

STAY AWAY - My wife and I purchased the $7,500 package on the SUN in late May. After disembarcation I checked it out and realized what I had suspected. It's a RIP OFF. First, consider this. It's NOT a Carnival program. It's run by some group out of Phoenix and uses commissioned sales people. My guess is that there were about 10 of them on our sailing.

The 1 week vouchers are basically worthless as they set you up in "resort type accomodations" equivilent to Motel 6.

One of their current "specials" is a September 25 sailing of The Ledgend. A Cat 9A will cost you 5360 points per person (or at .25 per point - $1340) Book the same cruise direct with Carnival at $1149.

Perks are perks but perks should not be paid for.

To those of you who feel you got a good deal, let me say this. Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Ralph

but wait I paid .25 to buy the points, you can't forget that.

Maybe what you are forgetting, you don't only get points, you get:

Five, 2 for 1 airfare coupons, saved us so far 500.00 this past march.

3 Land Shore Certificates at 299.00 for the whole week up to 7 people.

2 booklets that gives you up to 50% off on Golf and Hotels

1 Shoppers Cards that will give you discounts at the shore ports.

25% off on Spa treatments while in Port, We use it for those Expensive hair updos

Perks like boarding the ship first and the 2 VIP parties etc.

The list goes on, but lastly the Killer Upgrades we have been getting, I think that more then paid for itself.

I got a nice call while onboard the Valor, the CVC Director onboard gave me 50.00 onboard credit, what a shocker, great customer service.

I did the math a while ago on here on another thread, I saved so far $7,000.00 on just the cruises alone. Thats why I will renew this April.

Fred

One of their current "specials" is a September 25 sailing of The Ledgend. A Cat 9A will cost you 5360 points per person (or at .25 per point - $1340) Book the same cruise direct with Carnival at $1149.

Do the math correctly. 5360 points equals to $911.20 pp only!!!

That included all port charges and taxes. Yes only $911.20

You paid $1149.00 plus the $285.00 for those charges and taxes totalling to $1434.00 OUCH :eek: !!!

And not to mention if you are flying in, that another $500.00 you could have saved by using those 2 for 1 airfare coupons.

So far you have paid $523.00 more for your cruise, and if you add the 500.00 you paid more in airfare, thats $1023.00 more out of your pocket.

After 4 cruises and saving $7000.00 so far on cruises alone, and a true member that did use the system and didnt cancel the membership after day 2. I think I know what Im talking about.

Please do not go into the Carnival Vacation Club Seminar Drunk and then to find out when you got home that you just used your mortgage to pay for this membership.:)

Do the research first, if it looks like it can save you some cash go for it, if you don't have the membership, Why would others listen to your rambling about something you don't have or used.

Fred

Well, I booked one and felt like for the first time, I got a great quote versus a higher quote. We will depart in February on the Victory and have my first ever L shaped cabin and one inside cabin. Once they said I couldnt get any definate upgrade, but a guarantee, I started thinking that maybe, just maybe, they would have the L shaped cabin and they did.

Now, it is on to researching ports (St thomas, St Martin, San Juan) and booking air fare!!!!! Using these boards and doing your homework is almost as much fun and going on the trip itself! LOL! Well, let me rephrase this: it ties me over till the trip!

I am so excited!

I am definately satisfied now. Might look into a spa treatment if I get 25% off while in port!

Well, I booked one and felt like for the first time, I got a great quote versus a higher quote. We will depart in February on the Victory and have my first ever L shaped cabin and one inside cabin. Once they said I couldnt get any definate upgrade, but a guarantee, I started thinking that maybe, just maybe, they would have the L shaped cabin and they did.

Now, it is on to researching ports (St thomas, St Martin, San Juan) and booking air fare!!!!! Using these boards and doing your homework is almost as much fun and going on the trip itself! LOL! Well, let me rephrase this: it ties me over till the trip!

I am so excited!

I am definately satisfied now. Might look into a spa treatment if I get 25% off while in port!

Grats on booking your Victory L shaped Cabin, we had 2465 onboard the Valor and truely loved the 2 big windows. You can't beat this cabin for a Cat. 1a, here's a good picture of that cabin: http://members.cox.net/wennfred1/Cabin2465

Don't forget you need to send in your Airfare coupon so they can have it on file. The people that handle the Airfare were very nice. You also need to call within 6 months of Cruise date to book your airfare. Also keep the coupon number written down somewhere or even on Wordpad.

I'm Currently looking into booking my first Land Shore Trip using my Certificates, so far it looks like The Sheraton Vistana in Orlando Florida, they have 7 nights 2 Room full with kitchen etc. for the price of the ticket, 299.00 for the whole week. I checked for this Sept since they do not have it open for 2007 or 2008 yet. Pretty excited because these cost 299.00 per day and that would of added up to 2093.00 for the week. I wonder whos saving money now.:D

This place sure doesn't look like a Motel 6 as stated above :D

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=5608

Fred

Wennfred,

That 1A cabin looks great! I always thought they were a "bunk bed" only room. It looks great!

I actually looked to see if they would have had one for us to book next to our room, but they didn't.

Thanks for sharing the pic!

Wennfred,

That 1A cabin looks great! I always thought they were a "bunk bed" only room. It looks great!

I actually looked to see if they would have had one for us to book next to our room, but they didn't.

Thanks for sharing the pic!

This was on the Valor, where was a thread that listed the various types of Conquest and Destiny class ships and they were all configured differently.

I know that some of the Inside Cat.1a cabins have the Bunk beds.

I think JLEQ has the list if he can post it on here.

Fred

No it is 14000pts for 3490 @ 17.5 cents, that is what is in my contract.

So you are saying you wrote a check for 14,000 @ 17.5 and bought this contract for $2,450.00??? Or did you pay $3,490.00. If you paid $3,490.00....did the $1,040.00 just evaporate into thin air???

The bottom line is that you could not "buy any cruise" without paying 25 cents per point. If you want to pay over $1,000.00 for "perks" than that is your right. But basically you paid over $1,000.00 for the "priviledge" of buying a cruise at 17.5 cents per point.

Sadly, as an accountant and financial "stat frat", I realize how easily numbers can be manipulated to make anything look like a good deal.

All I have ever tried to do on this board where CVC is concerned is make sure that folks are making a clear informed decision. Not one with all the "smoke and mirrors" . The claims that you can get cruises at a cheaper price is not going to be the case for the vast majority. However, some people feel like the extra money is worth the VIP Check In and as long as they make this purchase with that understanding, then no one should have a problem with that.

Folks need to know that Wennfred is about the only person I know of (of all the posts written here and on other boards) that has supposedly gotten a good deal and will be renewing. Even folks who say they came out ok on this deal, are not renewing.

Folks needs to know that (except for Wennfred) the vast majority found the land resort and companion airfare to be worthless. The "parties" CVC promises are only on ships that have CVC offices. The upgrades (expect for Wennfred) have been on of the biggest complaints. Along with the number of cruises that salesmen said folks could get out of a package.

There is a reason that for every good experience Wennfred has had, there have been 4 folks coming on here and saying "thank goodness I cancelled within the 3 days alloted". And even more mad that they felt like they got suckered.

When you have that much smoke, folks need to pay attention to the fire. IMHO

But after reading all the warnings and casualities, someone still thinks it is a good deal for them...then they should go for it. That way they can't blame "ignorance" if they decide later on it was not a good deal for them.

I am not arguing what a point in translation to $ is, but a point in translation to cruise value.

What I am saying is that whether a point is 17 or 25 in hard cash, is that a point holds more value than $$ in buying a cruise within the CVC framework. Now it may be that this value does not hold for every cruise and that flexibility is key, but it is with anything. Just as the example given with group rates, not everyone can go with a group(schedule) or may not want to. I.E. flexibility to get the group rate price.

Now for Value As I demonstrated in this repost below:

Ok here are the numbers:

I went with orbitz on the same cruise and cabin the cost came to 805.61 for everything after taking all the way through the process.

CVC 2774 points

Ok so let’s do the math.

CVC can fit 5 cruises for the points I bought which is 14000 @ $3490

OR I could pay $4028.05 for the same 5 cruises @ 805.61

SO while your math is correct in hard cash the VALUE of the point is greater and skews it.

Overall savings with this scenario is $538.50.

So what my calculations come out to be is with the increased value of the point over $$ and then translated back to $$ retaining that value for $$ result purposes.

Now when I book my next cruise through CVC, I will post that comparison and if it is that CVC fails then, I will be the first to say it does not work. BUT for now and my current bookings as shown above CVC comes out ahead

I did the math a while ago on here on another thread, I saved so far $7,000.00 on just the cruises alone. Thats why I will renew this April.

Fred

You referenced this savings on another thread. I did not respond on that thread because they asked for CVC members only and I certainly want to respect that. However, you said on that thread that you and Wendy spent $3,000.00 per cruise including airfare. With CVC you said you book a 1A or 4A gty. So before CVC, you paid $3,000.00 for a 1A or 4A gty (including airfare)? That sounds high since we just booked a week on the Miracle for 3 people for less than $1,200.00 for an Inside on Main.

I am trying to understand if you are comparing apples to apples.

If I booked a balcony for $4,000.00 (before CVC) and now get a 1A or 4A gty for $2,000.00 with CVC ...that is not a savings of $2,000.00, because you are not getting the same quality of room.

I am not arguing what a point in translation to $ is, but a point in translation to cruise value.

What I am saying is that whether a point is 17 or 25 in hard cash, is that a point holds more value than $$ in buying a cruise within the CVC framework. Now it may be that this value does not hold for every cruise and that flexibility is key, but it is with anything. Just as the example given with group rates, not everyone can go with a group(schedule) or may not want to. I.E. flexibility to get the group rate price.

Now for Value As I demonstrated in this repost below:

So what my calculations come out to be is with the increased value of the point over $$ and then translated back to $$ retaining that value for $$ result purposes.

Now when I book my next cruise through CVC, I will post that comparison and if it is that CVC fails then, I will be the first to say it does not work. BUT for now and my current bookings as shown above CVC comes out ahead

Wow ... does CVC guarantee you can get 5 cruises for 14,000 points???

I just talked with a person who had been promised 4 cruises and had worked really hard to get 3 cruises (for 2) with their bronze membership.

These are the kinds of statements that I think really confuse folks. Because one of the main complaints for the 40+ folks on Cruise Critic alone (only going back a few months and not counting anyone who did not actually purchase a package) that either cancelled after they got home or felt "stuck and disappointed" was that they could not get the "number" of cruises out of their package that they had been promised. That is why I always tell them to get everything in writing. If the salesman says you can get 5 cruises, then that should be specifically in writing.

Even with the flux in "points per cruise" (just like dollars per cruise do) folks should remember that the key is to be flexible. Of the 13 folks that I stroke counted during this same period (trying hard on either side not to duplicate names ~ since most folks post on all the CVC threads) about 5 who were pleased in general with the program did say they were not "saving money on the cruises". But that they were willing to pay the extra for the VIP Check and Debarkation. And 3 expressed more disappointment with the service on their particular CVC cruises but did not feel like they were misled.

I guess (as you said) the prize will be in the pudding. I would think that renewal contracts would be a great indication of how well this program is received. So far, I think Wennfred is the only one who has said he would definately be purchasing it again. (but don't hold me to that, because it was a quick read back through the posts) I was very surprised to see some 18+ states that do not allow their residents to "rent" points. I was just thinking it was Washington.

Personally, I hope your cruise far exceeds your expectations. As hard as everyone works these days, they deserve that much and more!!

Happy Cruising.

Do the math correctly. 5360 points equals to $911.20 pp only!!!

Wennfred, your math is off. 5360 points X 0.25 per point purchased is $1340 any way you slice it. You used 0.17 per point in your figures, which is what the points are worth as soon as you buy them at 0.25 per point, the difference being what the salesperson gets for suckering you in.

Use the value of the point you purchased, not the diminished value of the points after the sales commission is subtracted. Your math inflates the value of the points, and this is not a fair picture to paint.

So, if you bought 5000 points, you just gave a salesperson 400 bucks for their time and effort. Hmmm, salespeople have to eat too, and at 400 bucks an hour they can eat pretty well.

LHP

As for empty promises, that is very sad and wrong that it happened. I wasn’t promised anything, just simply shown the packages and going points for cruises I picked off the guy’s laptop that had the site up. I lot of what I read in complaints comes from bad salesmanship and even “lying” which is not acceptable. I read it after the fact(purchased and back home) though. I came close to canceling, but I usually give everything a fair shot.

I read the contract and CVC called 3 times and answered all my questions, so I gave it shot and I am happy so far.

I know about the states not allowing the rent-point system. My state Texas had a law against buying cars on the internet, but it soon was lifted.

Again, if CVC is not what was sold to me, then I will let you know. I think I had an honest salesman or a salesman who already made his quota and thus not all the bells and whistles to sell me.

Thanks for the best wishes and the same to you as well

You referenced this savings on another thread. However, you said on that thread that you and Wendy spent $3,000.00 per cruise including airfare.

Ok LHP, Let me break down again:

Without CVC

$800.00 pp

$285.00 pp Port charges and taxes (average)

$500.00 pp round trip airfare

Total $1585.00 pp times Wendy = $3170.00 See how it adds up.

With CVC

2500 Points equals to $425.00 pp @ .17cents

0 (zero) Ports charges and Taxes, its included already

$500.00 for me only since I used the 2 for 1 Airfare certificate Wendy flys free.

Total there is 1350.00

Thats a saving of $1820.00 I can buy my next cruise already!!!

Now for the long term, 4 Cruises, Remember I don't always have to fly but I will add it for this conversation:

With out CVC 4 Cruises at 3170.00 a pop is $12,680.00

With CVC 4 Cruises at 1820.00 a pop is $7280.00 savings of $5400.00

I can buy the Silver membership again with the$5400.00 that I saved or just bank it.

The 7000.00 Savings I listed above I think were the 2 cruises we didnt have have to pay for airfare since we cruised out of San Diego and Long Beach. Also there are savings we get when Wendy gets her Hair updo done, we get 25% there.

Hope this helps everyone figure it out.

Fred

You used 0.17 per point in your figures, which is what the points are worth as soon as you buy them at 0.25 per point.

So let me ask you Salty dingo, you don't think that the Land Shore Certificates are not worth the extra .08 cents you are claiming?

Checking the Sheraton Vistana Orlando at 299.00 per day for 7 days @ 2093.00 plus 1000.00 airfare for both thats 3093.00

With my CVC Certificate, I only pay 299.00 for the whole 7 days.

Again Savings of 1794.00 :D if you don't see where the extra .08 is going you got to be crazy.

Oh wait let me use my Airfare certificate LOL, Saving there of 500.00 since Wendy flys free again. 299.00 plus 500.00 = 799.00

By the way, this is a 2 bedroom with full kitchen, I can bring my friends and family with me, its only 299.00 for the week.

Everyone keeps whining about this extra .08 cents thats not being used in the cruise points formula, its probably used for the land shore vacations etc.

And the Perks rock on top of all things !!!

Your Friends and Family will be able to book with your membership and save even more !!!

The coolest thing I like about CVC is that you can pretty much Pre-pay for your cruise, if you use the Points wisely you can score 4 cruises as I did. I read on here that someone resently lost their job but because they had purchase the Membership they were still able to go crusing because all it takes is using your points, no cash whats so ever. Its already paid for.

Fred

Without CVC

$800.00 pp

With CVC

2500 Points equals to $425.00 pp @ .17cents

0 (zero) Ports charges and Taxes, its included already

$500.00 for me only since I used the 2 for 1 Airfare certificate Wendy flys free.

Total there is 1350.00

Thats a saving of $1820.00 I can buy my next cruise already!!!

Now for the long term, 4 Cruises, Remember I don't always have to fly but I will add it for this conversation:

With out CVC 4 Cruises at 3170.00 a pop is $12,680.00

With CVC 4 Cruises at 1820.00 a pop is $7280.00 savings of $5400.00

I can buy the Silver membership again with the$5400.00 that I saved or just bank it.

The 7000.00 Savings I listed above I think were the 2 cruises we didnt have have to pay for airfare since we cruised out of San Diego and Long Beach. Also there are savings we get when Wendy gets her Hair updo done, we get 25% there.

Hope this helps everyone figure it out.

Fred

But Fred, you said on an earlier post that you bought 2 Silver packages...not one. So you spent $10,000.00.....not $5,000.00 right???

So let me ask you Salty dingo, you don't think that the Land Shore Certificates are not worth the extra .08 cents you are claiming?

Checking the Sheraton Vistana Orlando at 299.00 per day for 7 days @ 2093.00 plus 1000.00 airfare for both thats 3093.00

With my CVC Certificate, I only pay 299.00 for the whole 7 days.

Again Savings of 1794.00 :D if you don't see where the extra .08 is going you got to be crazy.

Oh wait let me use my Airfare certificate LOL, Saving there of 500.00 since Wendy flys free again. 299.00 plus 500.00 = 799.00

By the way, this is a 2 bedroom with full kitchen, I can bring my friends and family with me, its only 299.00 for the week.

Everyone keeps whining about this extra .08 cents thats not being used in the cruise points formula, its probably used for the land shore vacations etc.

And the Perks rock on top of all things !!!

Your Friends and Family will be able to book with your membership and save even more !!!

Wennfred....no one is "whining" about the 8 cents. That is uncalled for. We are simply pointing out that that CVC can put any price per point on a cruise they want to (and do) do prove their claim that someone is getting a "cheaper cruise". (which is not usually the truth).

Don't you find it a little amazing that from some 50+ folks that have posted just on this board (and some 30+ others from other boards) about CVC ..... you are the only person who has "found the mother lode" where these resorts and companion airfares are concerned.

I am thrilled that you have done so well. But when you are the only one out of 80+ folks that have had this level of success.... this does not indicate that your experience is the norm. People have the right to know that.

That is what I mean about people having the facts to make an informed decision.

Without CVC

$800.00 pp

Fred

That is what I was asking Fred. You paid 800.00 (cruise) + 285.00 (port charges) per person for a 1a or 4a gty??? (which is all you said you book with CVC)

What your "example" also leaves out is are you comparing apples to apples when it comes to which ship you sailed (new or old....large or small)

It also leaves out when you are comparing sailing perk season or off season.

As you well know, you can't compare a 7 day on the Freedom with a 3 day on the Holiday. Folks should know that.

Archived