Simpson Bay Beach v. Orient Beach

We are trying to decide between the two beaches. I know that Orient Beach tends to get crowded? Has anyone been to Simpson Bay? Has anyone been to both? What were the differences (besides the nudity). Thanks so much! We are looking for a quiet day on a beach where we can rent chairs and relax. Any information you have would be appreciated.

Simpson's Bay is more crowded - since it is closest to cruise ships and right in front of Phillipsburg. Also the beach is not as long or nice as Orient Beach and I did not find the water as clean. Both beaches have ample restaurants and chair rentals etc. The quieter part of Orient Beach is toward the north end. I really did not find any part of Simpson's Bay to be quiet. There is also a lot more boat traffic in Simpson's Bay.

The few times I've been to Orient Beach it seems more crowded to the south, less to the north. At orient beach you generally go to one of the bar/clubs which almost all have chairs for rent, serve drinks on the beach or bar area and have restuarants where you can get a sandwich, fresh fish or such. The first time we went to a place called Boo Boo Jam, it wasn't crowded at all, and although the place looks slightly run down the fresh seafood luch and margaritas we had were top notch. Second time we went to KaKao - more crowded but not too bad. BTW the "nude" area is to the extreme southern area of the beach by club orient. Here is a link to a map of the beach which also has links to some of the bar/clubs: http://home.carolina.rr.com/edsandra/orientbeachdetail.htm

I would definitely go to Orient Beach. If you're worrying about crowds, just select a spot with fewer people. The beach is 1.3 miles long and most of the beach bars/restaurants are centrally located. If you want a different beach maybe try Dawn Beach or Friar's Beach. Both have chairs/umbrellas to rent plus options for lunch.

Simpson Bay is located on the Northwest side of the island near the airport. There's only one area where you can rent chairs and that beach is very protected and gets little if any breeze. Very hot! It's about a 15-20 minute taxi ride from Philipsburg.

If you want a quiet beach, has chairs, food, umbrellas, then go to Friars Bay Beach. It is were the locals go, off the main street a bit but easy to get there. I go to St. Maarten every year. Orient is a bit crowded on cruise days but it has everything you need, parasailing, jet ski's etc.

How much would a taxi cost from ship to Orient Beach? We also want to visit Marigot? Where is this in proximity to Orient Beach? do we cab to Marigot first? or vice versa?

Thanks for any info!

I believe that there's a bit of confusion here.

I would pick Orient, but:

I think Zeno is referring to Great Bay Beach, and not Simpson Bay Beach -- ignore the description. S B B is two miles of very nice, quiet beach.

I think Kal may be thinking of Kimsha Beach (at the Atrium) on Simpson Bay.

Simpson Bay Beach is where a couple of great guest houses are located, Mary's Boon and Horny Toad. I'd bet that if you bought lunch or even several drinks at either of these fine places they would provide complimentary beach chairs. They both have websites, email them and ask.

Regarding the taxi question, the Taxi Association has an up/then down website that is UP for me right now.

The fare should be less than to Maho, which I see posted as 1 or 2 = $16, 3 = $7 each, 4 or 5 = $6 each.

Snoopy I'm surprised that you didn't question the postings above, since you live on the island???

Archived