Family Cruise-Recommendation

Suz,

Last winter we did the Disney Magic with our kids (10 & 14) and it was by far the best family vacation we have ever had, in fact we booked on board for next year.

That being said I was not happy that though they alternate routes, the same route (Western) was scheduled for the same week next year. With some thought and a look into what is available with the voyager class ships we were able to book on the AOS, (two rooms overlooking the promenade) for $600 less than one room oceanview on the Magic. My now 15 year old daughter has been told that she will have less freedom on the AOS but I think the better itinerary plus the added space plus the upgraded activities will win out. (We will miss the dumbotron though!)

Best of luck with your decision.

Kathy

We took our then 14, 16, and 17 year old sons on their first cruise last summer on Sovereign. We all had a fabulous time, and DH and I knew that if they enjoyed the Sovereign that much they would absolutely love the Explorer. So we took them on a 5 night in December and had an AMAZING time.

I really love cruising with our boys. At this age it's an ideal family vacation. We do a lot of things together (dinner, excursions, ports, and some shipboard activities) and the boys also get to hang out with kids their age in the teen area.

I can't recommend this enough.

Hope you find a good ship, itinerary and price. One warning - you may get hooked!

We have taken our son, now 15, on 3 prior cruises, all on RC. After the first one he was just as hooked as we are. We've done a Mexican, New England, and a Caribbean cruise with him. RC has a great program for kids and teens. I really recommend kids go to their meet and greet on the first night. (it will be on the activity card for their age group that will be in your stateroom.) I'm not sure if this may work, but you may try to call Royal and see if they could recommend a cruise that tends to have a larger number of kids. Surprisingly, the Caribbean cruise we took during our school's spring break in April had a lot less kids than the other two cruises. The other two were more fun for DS, as there were more kids to meet and do planned activities with. The New England cruise last year was probably his favorite. He met a lot of great kids, we did a whale watch excursion, and we spent a couple days before the cruise seeing historical sights.

SMN

How about ALASKA!!! We are taking our kids (6-13) on the Vision on August 18th. They are so excited to see whales, bears, eagles, totem poles, glaciers and soooo much more. We can't wait too!!!

great recommendations.. keep them coming.. we took the boys on a smaller ship (there 1st) -- Grandeur and they LOVED it.. we didn't want to spoil them with the BIGGER ships.. but I think we are READY NOW!!

Your kids will love the Voyager class of ships. If I had teens this is where I would take them. They are just the perfect age for all of the physical activities and learning responsibility for their freedom. It is more of an adult ship, but certainly not kid adverse, but no Mickey & Daffy. I dont think they will have less freedom than Disney, just supervised less and you will have to supervise more if warranted. they have a big program for kids their age and tons of activities to do together as a family, which would be such a nice memory. They will love seeing Mom on the rockwall dont you think?

I've taken my kids on the Disney Magic and my vote is still for a voyager or freedom class ship at RCCL. If your kids want Disney, take them to Walt Disney World (we go every year). If you want a cruise, go with RCCL...you can't go wrong on one of the mega ships.

I don't have kids, but was just on the first sailing of Freedom and WOW! Kids' paradise!!

My brother and SIL have decided they wanted to go this December too, and I told them that if they didn't bring the kids, they would feel guilty the whole time once they saw the kids' setup. They'll REALLY be spoiled forever though. That H20Zone is incredible (even we adults had fun splashing around in there!), and with two boys that age, you'll be hard pressed to drag them away from the FlowRider!!

Tracy

I don't have kids, but was just on the first sailing of Freedom and WOW! Kids' paradise!!

My brother and SIL have decided they wanted to go this December too, and I told them that if they didn't bring the kids, they would feel guilty the whole time once they saw the kids' setup. They'll REALLY be spoiled forever though. That H20Zone is incredible (even we adults had fun splashing around in there!), and with two boys that age, you'll be hard pressed to drag them away from the FlowRider!!

Tracy

I agree with Tracy..i just got off the sailing after hers (6.11) and it was just the ultimate cruise ship for people of all ages...cannot go wrong.

Archived