Cruising Single

It's official. I'm booked on my next two cruises and both are flying solo. I've never been on vacation by myself before but am finding the feeling to be very liberating!

Any tips or advice from any who have done it before?

Hi Jenny, I travel solo all the time. Go to the singles meet and greet the first night around 11:30-11:45. Meet the CD and some of the staff. Get to know them as they know who is single. Choose a large table so that you will meet others. There are single cruises out there (do a search). Go on tours where you know others are going ie Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. Bar hop the first night until the mixer.

One piece of advice be aware of where you are and never carry a lot of cash or jewllery. Use a waist belt type purse that is waterproof. You can get them in Wal-mart for about $20.00. Go to the dance club on Freedom of the Seas it is The Crypt.

Thanks!! I'm feeling a little "safe" being on a cruise. Hopefully I'm not being nieve. I don't think I would take a land vacation by myself being female and all. I had decided that I would only do organised tours through the ship and not just venture out on my own.

All of you single cruising ladies have inspired me! (I get really tired of trying to find someone else who wants to enjoy life as much as I do.)

My other one is with HAL and I'm trying their Roommate program. It should all be really interesting for sure. :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll be needing as much as I can get.

Jenny, I'm a female in my late 20s and I've been on 2 solo cruises and my 3 future cruises are currently booked as solos. Cruising is such a great way to vacation by yourself, as long as you keep aware of your surroundings.

My top suggestions for having a great time:

1. Choose a large table in the dining room. My last solo cruise I was given a table for 4 and the other people at the table never showed up. It would've been awkward except the people at the next table invited me to join their table. The larger the table the less likely you will be the odd person out at a table for 4 where only another couple is sitting.

2. Get out there. Find the popular bars and sit at the bar and talk to the bartenders and other people. Go to the disco and dance (if that is what you like to do). Participate in the games. Don't be afraid to talk to people. Believe me, by the end of my solo Voyager cruise, I probably had met at least a quarter of the ship. By the end of my Brilliance cruise, there was probably less than a quarter of the ship that I hadn't met.

3. Go on excursions or go off on your own but do research before hand. On my Brilliance cruise, I did all ships excursions, but that was mostly because in 2 of the ports, there weren't independent excursions that did what I wanted to do. On my Voyager cruise, I only did one excursion the whole week, a snorkel excursion. I wandered around San Juan and Nassau on my own. In St. Thomas I took a taxi to the beach on my own. Some ports you should be fine going off on your own. Others I do recommend the safety and ease of the ship's excursions.

Although I am very happily married I cruise solo at times also. I LOVE it. My solo cruises have been with HAL and Celebrity. I have never done the share program with HAL because I always find such reasonable solo rates for them. Shop around, and try to avoid the share program if you can. Be prepared to love your solo cruising and prefer it over cruising with friends/family. Have fun!

Marie

I have also cruised solo over the years and it is a different experience - and quite liberating - than travelling with friends or partners.

I have no problem meeting people if I am in the mood and always "adopt" a bar and a bartender early on. I am not a big drinker but enjoy wine so normally hang out at the Champagne Bar or wine bar on any given ship.

I hate games, ship excursions, shows and prefer to work out, read books and explore ports on my own.

Cruising solo is simply a great experience:D. I am betting that you get hooked!

Wow. You guys are awsome!!! Thanks so much for the info.! I can't wait!!! :D

I cruise solo too and I love it. I also get a balcony cabin so I can watch the scenery or listen to the waves while I am enjoying my cocktail during my "me" time.

I've decided to "dip my toe" in the waters of solo cruising. After coming back from the first sailing of Freedom, I couldn't wait to go back. My parents were already planning to go in December, with a large group of their friends. So, I booked a cabin for myself for the same sailing. This way, it's like I am solo, with backup! LOL

For now, I've booked a promenade cabin, but am seriously doing a mental dance of whether I want to bring a friend and switch to a balcony. I'm leaning toward solo though.

Tracy

It's official. I'm booked on my next two cruises and both are flying solo. I've never been on vacation by myself before but am finding the feeling to be very liberating!

Hi Jenny !!!!!!!!!

How was your cruise? I know you loved it !

Jenny, I have cruised solo a few times and really enjoyed. Now to me cruising "solo" and cruising "single" are two different things. As you know I am married, but hubby can not always go. So I go solo when friends are not available to go. I have always had a great time. No one to "have" to meet, or have t odo things with. I really enjoyed doing what "I" want to do "when" and "if" I felt like it.

So go ahead and try it!

So when and where is the next one?

What are you doing now, still in school?

Annieeee

I'm guessing it costs more to cruise solo? Is there a standard mark-up or does it vary? How much more can I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Sometimes, on RCI, you can find single supplements that are only 150% (of single fare)...like on Happy Hour specials. Most of the time though, you pay double, with the exception of only one set of port fees.

Tracy

Sometimes, on RCI, you can find single supplements that are only 150% (of single fare)...like on Happy Hour specials. Most of the time though, you pay double, with the exception of only one set of port fees.

Tracy

Tracy ive been tellin u and tellin u..if u cruise with me you wont be single! haha just kiddin...but seriously jokes over.

Tracy ive been tellin u and tellin u..if u cruise with me you wont be single! haha just kiddin...but seriously jokes over.

Jordan,

My darlin....I'll tell you, we old broads can teach you young whippersnappers a thing or two or three. Your future girlfriends would all thank me! ROFL

T

I'm guessing it costs more to cruise solo? Is there a standard mark-up or does it vary? How much more can I expect to pay?

Thanks!

On HAL I pay between 125-150% generally. Believe it or not in 2004 I sailed to Alaska on HAL at the double occupancy rate. I was just at the right place and the right time, I guess.

Marie

Jordan,

My darlin....I'll tell you, we old broads can teach you young whippersnappers a thing or two or three. Your future girlfriends would all thank me! ROFL

T

and we young sexy guys can teach some new technique...never too old to learn, thats what ive heard...

On HAL I pay between 125-150% generally. Believe it or not in 2004 I sailed to Alaska on HAL at the double occupancy rate. I was just at the right place and the right time, I guess.

Marie

Sounds like you got a great deal! Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

I'm curious, have any of you solo cruisers ever felt unsafe onboard? I've seen some women onboard get hit on by some very persistent guys, and while I'm sure it's all harmless, I'm just wondering if there is that element of concern. Especially since the stateroom hallways are all public areas.

Hi All,

Although I take my teenaged daughter with me when we cruise, it's like I'm cruising solo. She is a very outgoing girl, makes friends the first day and then don't see her the rest of the cruise. :rolleyes: These were all good points. I usually find some friends on board to go to shows or games with.

But always use some pointers on how to meet other people and make friends to hang out with onboard. Where's that link for singles under boards again?

We're not cruising until April 2007 on AOS. Cannot wait because we have a balcony room and are finally hitting Platinum status!

I'm curious, have any of you solo cruisers ever felt unsafe onboard? I've seen some women onboard get hit on by some very persistent guys, and while I'm sure it's all harmless, I'm just wondering if there is that element of concern. Especially since the stateroom hallways are all public areas.

I was hit on by the head waiter, the jerk checked the computer to get my cabin number and called at 1 am wanting to know if he could bring a bottle of wine to my cabin so we could sit on the balcony and talk. I calmly made it quite clear that I was not interested and stated if he ever called me again I would report him. I was livid. I later learned from other women who travel solo that that is the norm. When I saw him on deck he was very polite and kept his distance. I still felt safe onboard. No matter where I am or with whom, I am always aware of my surroundings. That's a product of living single in the inner city.

Archived