New York hotel recommendation

robbi

Does anyone have a hotel recommendation for New York? We will be sailing New York to Montreal Sept. 28, '06 (6225 on Symphony) and flying in from So. Calif. the day before.

Robbi:)

The Holiday Inn on West 57th Street (between 9th and 10th Ave) is very affordable with large rooms, centrally located and a five minute taxi drive from the ship (which is on 12th Ave) We stayed there the last time we ssailed from NY and found we could walk everywhere. It's not the Waldorf but if you're looking for clean, safe, friendly and well located, you can't go wrong.

I concur with the other posts that it depends on your budget, however, if you're willing to splurge try the Pierre Hotel on Fifth Avenue at 61st. We stayed there after our North Atlantic Crystal cruise and it was awesome. Do ask for an upper floor room with a Park view. It is an older hotel, built in the 30's, but exudes class and style. Some of the floors are exclusively for private residences. They still use people for elevator operators, wearing white gloves; and you get a real key to your room instead of a card. They do that purposely to evoke European style. You'll never forget the experience!

Many thanks to all of you that responded. I would prefer to be closer to the port but will check out all the recommendations.

Robbi

One of my favorite NY Times Square area hotels is the Marriott Marquis on Broadway & 42nd (about 10 blocks to pier). A cab to the pier should be under $10. The hotel's not cheap, but it's a great location and a very nice property. They have a restaurant on the top (something like the 50th floor) that rotates and affords a 360 degree view of the entire metropolitan area.

Don't forget the downtown hotels - Embassy Suites comes to mind. Although they are 2 - 3 miles from the pier, the cab just has to go straight up the West Side Highway, and won't take more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Cheapest hotel would probably be one of the airport hotels.

Many thanks to all of you that responded. I would prefer to be closer to the port but will check out all the recommendations.

Robbi

With all the fantastic public transportation options and the fact that the area around the port is quite industrial, there is absolutely no reason to stay by the port.

Great hotels:

Hotel Giraffe

Michelangelo

Le Parker Meridian

Ws

Mercer

SoHo House

Dream Hotel

Hotel Alex

Maritime Hotel

Best Hotels Anywhere:

The Four Seasons

The Pierre (also FS)

St. Regis

Plaza Athenee

The Mark

The Peninsula

The Carlyle

RC Central Park

Trump Tower

Mandarin Oriental

RC FD

Robbi. Being near the pier isn't critical, as others are noting. Just be certain to plan on NYC traffic if you're somewhat away from the pier. Alloting a little extra time helps. The Pierre arranged a private car (which we did pay extra for) to pick us up at the pier when we arrived; and it all went very smoothly, especially since it was the opening day of the UN and the Presidents of many countries, including Bush, were in town. Talk about chaos! But, it wasn't all that bad being away from the pier at all, and a much more pleasant environment than the far West side.

Just as FYI, the Pierre has recently changed management companies, it was formerly run by Four Seasons, I believe it is now a TAJ Hotel. I think I read it is their first outlet in the US and had been looking for a prestige location for quite a while. Sorry I don't have more hard information at my fingertips.

Archived