New England Here We Come!

SuzMate

I posted this on the Crystal Board and have gotten some great comments, but thought those of you familiar with the area will have input too.

My husband and I are booked on 6224, round trip from New York. I am so looking forward to our first Crystal Cruise. So far I’ve made reservation at both Jade and Prego and have put in a request for a seating in the Vintage Room. Now I’m looking at the shore excursions.

My thought is that in most ports we can pretty much go it on our own – could any of you that have been on this cruise take a look at what I’m thinking and give me some feedback?

• Halifax – Skip Peggy’s Cove, visit the Museum that houses the Titanic and Explosion exhibits, and the Citadel. We would visit the Citadel on our own unless someone can convince me to take A Toast to the Citadel.
  • Bar Harbor – Rent a car so we can take a leisurely drive through Acadia National Park and hopefully find a lobster pound for lunch – any suggestions?
  • Boston – Day one – Freedom Trail and cocktail in the evening with my nephew and his wife that live there. Day two – visit the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and tour Fenway Park.
  • Newport – Tour a couple of the mansions (especially The Breakers) and do the Cliff Walk.

We arrive in New York the evening before the cruise and are staying in the Parker Meridian. Will we have time to do anything in New York, besides eat breakfast, before boarding the ship, or should we go directly to there?

And one final question – how soon before the cruise will we learn who the name of the Destination Lecturer? From the tread “who is your favorite…” We (my husband especially) are excited at the possibilities.

Thanks in advance for any comments you might have.

Sorry you haven't had any replies to your questions regarding the Canada/New England itinerary. I hope you've found some helpful ideas while browsing thru the various threads.

We. too, plan to visit the USS Contellation while in Boston. The Kennedy Library is a must, tho I didn't realize access to it might be such a challenge. I do know I will do anything to avoid Boston traffic! Especially mid-day!:eek: Regarding Boston, you might find it interesting to read some posts on the Crystal board --I think it might be the thread for Roll Call or voyage 6227. A couple of people who live or work in boston gave some interesting info about changes downtown--restaurants, landmarks, etc.

Thee are so many interesting opportunities in boston, I wish we were in port overnight. Perhaps your cruise is--I can't remember.

Halifax has already been discussed on the other board--I know there are a lot of interesting places, especially the Maritime Museum. My father-in-law, with whom we're traveling, is retired Navy, so this is non-negotiable! Wish we had 2 days in Halifax, as well!

For us, Rhode Island will include visiting some relatives we haven't seen since 1982!! Hopefully, they'll join us onboard for lunch. Downloading the request forms certainly makes it easy!

Good Luck with your plans!

Randy

Sorry you haven't had any replies to your questions regarding the Canada/New England itinerary. I hope you've found some helpful ideas while browsing thru the various threads.

Yes, I was begining to wonder if it was something I said :) but there is lots of good information on all of the ports in the thread about Bar Harbor.

• 2 weeks later...
I have one other suggestion for your day two plan. After you visit the MFA I would recommend the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum which is right around the corner from the MFA. Here's the link: www.gardnermuseum.org . The place is fantastic.

Thank you. We will. I'm interested in seeing some of the American paintings in the collection. Thank you for sharing!!

I have one other suggestion for your day two plan. After you visit the MFA I would recommend the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum which is right around the corner from the MFA. Here's the link: www.gardnermuseum.org . The place is fantastic.

Mr. Boston, Thanks so much for the link---just checked their website---it's moved to the top of my must-visit list! Glad I noticed the limited hours--11-5PM, closed Monday. So many wonderful places to squeeze into one day. Hmmm...wonder if I can spend the night in Boston and hop back on the ship in Newport!;)

Randy

Archived