Birth Certificates

kmgl

My mother just received a certified copy of her birth certificate that she ordered from the state so that she can cruise with us. However, it does not have a raised seal. I thought when I asked this question before, I was told that it must have a raised seal, but I cannot find the previous thread.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Not all states actually put a raised seal on their BCs. If it is indeed state issued, I'm sure she's fine, but if it'll make you feel better, you might want to show which state it's from (in a posting) and I bet someone on the board from that state, could share their experience (or you could check with your TA & see what they say-provided you didn't book direct)

-Monte

I own a birth certificate expediting service.

The term raised seal is a old term that does not make much sense anymore. The term should now be a "Certified copy of a Birth Certificate". If you got it from the state Department of Vital Records then yes it is THE one you need.

I cannot tell you how many of this type of question we hear everyday.

BTW, DO NOT ASK YOUR TRAVEL AGENT QUESTIONS LIKE THIS FOR THEIR OPINION. ONLY THE CRUISE LINE CAN GIVE YOU THE CORRECT ANSWER, THEY ARE THE ONES LETTING YOU ON THE SHIP NOT THE TRAVEL AGENT. We get calls everyday saying "My travel agent said this birth certificate is what I need and now the cruise line says it is no good for travel".

My mother just received a certified copy of her birth certificate that she ordered from the state so that she can cruise with us. However, it does not have a raised seal. I thought when I asked this question before, I was told that it must have a raised seal, but I cannot find the previous thread.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I had to get mine also recently and it was from Boston....mine has a seal on it but it's not raised....just a copy and I was fine....

I own a birth certificate expediting service.

The term raised seal is a old term that does not make much sense anymore. The term should now be a "Certified copy of a Birth Certificate". If you got it from the state Department of Vital Records then yes it is THE one you need.

I cannot tell you how many of this type of question we hear everyday.

BTW, DO NOT ASK YOUR TRAVEL AGENT QUESTIONS LIKE THIS FOR THEIR OPINION. ONLY THE CRUISE LINE CAN GIVE YOU THE CORRECT ANSWER, THEY ARE THE ONES LETTING YOU ON THE SHIP NOT THE TRAVEL AGENT. We get calls everyday saying "My travel agent said this birth certificate is what I need and now the cruise line says it is no good for travel".

jbsteven, how long would it take you to get a birth certificate for someone in the southern california area? My wife is interested in your service. Please let me know asap. Thanks.

Only reason I suggested that is because the TA can actually see the BC and the cruise line can't (at least not until you check in). I would lay odds that often when people ask you that question, they have not actually been to the TA. Rather, they just phoned and asked something like "I have a BC with a raised seal on it, is this OK?" when actually they have only the hospital issued BC (which often has a raised seal) and don't explain that.

I would also think that when they phone the cruise line they may often be speaking to a cust svc agent who (without seeing the cert) really doesn't know what they have either. Without actually seeing it you could be told one thing, and then a completely other thing when arriving at the ship. IE: without actually seeing it, the person you talk to on the phone from NCL might not give you the "CORRECT ANSWER" as they're not letting you on the ship. ;)

BTW-it must not be a problem that happens often. I've never seen anyone say, on these boards, that they were denied boarding because of a bad BC. But I do sometimes see "I have a friend, whose cousin has a friend, whose Great Aunts bosses brother, was denied boarding" I don't put a lot of stock in those stories.

jmo

-Monte

I just got off the phone with an agent with NCL.She told me either passport or birth certificate and photo ID will do for the Dec 3 cruise on the Jewel.It seems to conflict with what the NCL website states.

birth certificates don't have raised seals anymore. The only ones with raised seals are hospital certificates; which don't count; they are just for you. And our hospitals don't even do that anymore. Now you have to bring your own paper and ink to get those footprints. But point is; they are just papers with a stamp on it now. Although; I don't remember anything but my hospital cert having a raised seal on it.

birth certificates don't have raised seals anymore. The only ones with raised seals are hospital certificates; which don't count; they are just for you. .

I think that can vary from state to state (and from time to time) and possibly even from county to county of birth. I was born in WA state (as were my kids). My state issued BC does NOT have a raised seal. However, my kids state issued BCs DO have a raised seal. Yes, I'm certain these are official BCs as we've cruised with them and had passports issued with them. My BC was requested & issued prior to theirs.

BTW-I was surprised at what I found. But after reading your post it made me curious so I had to look.

-Monte

I just got off the phone with an agent with NCL.She told me either passport or birth certificate and photo ID will do for the Dec 3 cruise on the Jewel.It seems to conflict with what the NCL website states.

With the Jewel cruising the Caribbean from Miami a BC & photo ID are all you'll need for a Dec '06 cruise (provided no one changes the rules again ;) ). The exception to that would be cruises that return AFTER Jan 1. 2007.

jmo

-Monte

And, before somebody asks.... you might want to do a search on PASSPORT. You will find a ton of message threads talking about this.

I'm not sure if this is the #1 or #2 overall topic, right there with "Booze Smuggling" LOL

-Monte

Only reason I suggested that is because the TA can actually see the BC and the cruise line can't (at least not until you check in). I would lay odds that often when people ask you that question, they have not actually been to the TA. Rather, they just phoned and asked something like "I have a BC with a raised seal on it, is this OK?" when actually they have only the hospital issued BC (which often has a raised seal) and don't explain that.

I would also think that when they phone the cruise line they may often be speaking to a cust svc agent who (without seeing the cert) really doesn't know what they have either. Without actually seeing it you could be told one thing, and then a completely other thing when arriving at the ship. IE: without actually seeing it, the person you talk to on the phone from NCL might not give you the "CORRECT ANSWER" as they're not letting you on the ship. ;)

BTW-it must not be a problem that happens often. I've never seen anyone say, on these boards, that they were denied boarding because of a bad BC. But I do sometimes see "I have a friend, whose cousin has a friend, whose Great Aunts bosses brother, was denied boarding" I don't put a lot of stock in those stories.

jmo

-Monte

You would be surprised how many people (yes, in this day and age:rolleyes: ) think that their Hospital Registration is their birth cert. I have to ask them "does it have little feet stamped on it"? if they still are not sure I have them bring it over for me to look at.

It used to be that if a person does not have the proper ID they have to have someone in their party that knows him/her and sign a form stating that they were born in the US.

And yes.......people have been denied. It all depends if the agent is having a bad day:rolleyes:

And yes.......people have been denied. It all depends if the agent is having a bad day:rolleyes:

Hi Ann. Actually, I didn't say it hasn't happened, only that I haven't seen anyone post here that it's happened to them.

And I agree with you, that without actually seeing a BC it would be hard for anyone to insure that it's what's required to board. And that's what I was trying to say in my previous posts.

-Monte

Hi Ann. Actually, I didn't say it hasn't happened, only that I haven't seen anyone post here that it's happened to them.

And I agree with you, that without actually seeing a BC it would be hard for anyone to insure that it's what's required to board. And that's what I was trying to say in my previous posts.

-Monte

I know that you were Monte........don`t get disgruntled with me please:o ;)

I know that you were Monte........don`t get disgruntled with me please:o ;)

That would never happen! I was just afraid that I hadn't explained myself clearly or correctly.

-Monte

Actually, I was under the impression that it is not the cruise line that gives the yay or nay for boarding and documentation. That is up to a homeland security person, or border person.....

My sister works for a major cruise line, and this is what she told me

Actually, I was under the impression that it is not the cruise line that gives the yay or nay for boarding and documentation. That is up to a homeland security person, or border person.....

When boarding the ship, I have not met up with anyone from Homeland Security, though they may be passing on some "rules" to the cruise folks. Getting off the ship in the U.S. you will encounter immigration folks/homeland security.

I have a question about birth certificates, I was born in Jersey City, NJ and was told we all need new bc's due to copy thieves.... but when I went on the site for vital statistics it said only if we need to get a passport do we need a new BC.... does anyone know if this is correct or not???????????

I have a question about birth certificates, I was born in Jersey City, NJ and was told we all need new bc's due to copy thieves.... but when I went on the site for vital statistics it said only if we need to get a passport do we need a new BC.... does anyone know if this is correct or not???????????

The site for vital stats is correct. I actually just sailed last week w/ a bc from the Jersey City/Hudson County office of vital stats, of course no problems (but use it to get a passport it would be).

Funny, I just posted this info on the Carnival section after reading another thread re passports & then I come across this post:) Here's the link if you want to go back & check: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/jerseycity.shtml

Get a new one only if you are applying for passports, the old is fine for other purposes. By the way, it took my father & I >3 months to get the copy, so don't wait if you will need a passport in the near future.

In response to the raised seal questions: I was born in NJ and the certified copy of my bc says: "Certified copy not valid unless the raised Great Seal of the State of NJ or the seal of the issuing municipality..." So as another poster said it varies from state to state. Just wanted to post this info so if you obtain a copy from NJ & it doesn't have the raised seal, you need to get it.

In response to the raised seal questions: I was born in NJ and the certified copy of my bc says: "Certified copy not valid unless the raised Great Seal of the State of NJ or the seal of the issuing municipality..." So as another poster said it varies from state to state. Just wanted to post this info so if you obtain a copy from NJ & it doesn't have the raised seal, you need to get it.

In some cases this statement might only apply to the piece of paper in your hands. Some agencies have changed how they do things and no longer do the raised seal even though they may have printed BC with that statement in the past.

It looks like NJ 'currently' requires the raised seal - read more here.

jbsteven, how long would it take you to get a birth certificate for someone in the southern california area? My wife is interested in your service. Please let me know asap. Thanks.

sorry cannot suggest my service against board rules. Most search engines will get what you are looking for.

Everytime I have boarded a cruise that goes outside the country the cruise agent (no one else) checked our passports. I have also witnessed several times where a birth certificate was used and ONLY the cruise person at the counter checked and granted access to the ship.

Archived