Pictures / Info From Crown Luncheon 6/23/06

LunaMoon

It has not necessarily been designated for the Caribbean as the previous two were, but it will likely have a long life in whichever ocean it starts since it will not fit through the Panama Canal.[/i]

It sounds like they recognize that it may not live in the Caribbean all year...

There is updated news that Emerald will not be in the caribbean all year. The Emerald will sail in Europe April 2007 (inaugural) - October 2007, when it will go to Ft. Lauderdale. Princess has not said what the Emerald itinerary will be

once she goes to Florida.

Is the $15 Sanctuary fee just for the use of lounge chairs? In other words, can you still go into The Sanctuary without paying the fee just to hang out?

Also, I thought I read that The Sanctuary is only open until 5p. If true, what happens after 5p? Can you still go there?

We are in one of the large suites when it goes out of San Juan in the fall. Do the large suites in the aft of the ship get into the santuary free? I would hope so. It reminds me of the Ritz or a fancy hotel around the world.

Jan

Do the large suites in the aft of the ship get into the santuary free? (janmd)

----------------------------------------------------------

That is very interesting idea, and maybe with time and experience in the running of their new Sanctuary area, Princess might get around to actually adding that as a perk. But, for right now, I believe the answer is no.

When I spoke to the gentleman in charge of the Sanctuary yesterday, he clearly said to me that for Princess the $15 fee really doesn't matter to them and they would have just as readily kept it free.

His emphasis was on the simple fact that this was the quickest answer to the problem they had just experienced on the Inaugural sailing. The problem as he stated it was that passengers were comandeering lounges for entire days, and there was subsequent unfair and unequal usage of the space by a few. He also said it was very disruptive and disturbing to have so many altercations, and arguments, and disputes among passengers who were trying to solve this problem on their own.

As I understand it, this Sanctuary fee materialized not as an added source of revenue for Princess, but as a method of unruly crowd control.

I think if anything they will make the cost for the sanctuary even higher. What could they have been thinking to add such a disireable area to a ship that only can accomodate 72 people? They have already added an extra deck on top to cram 500 more passengers with the same amount of outdoor deck space on this ship, how could there possibly not be problems not only with crowding but people clammoring for space in this area. They should have just added lots more normal sized deck chairs and made it adults only. You can get spa treatments in the spa.

We are in one of the large suites when it goes out of San Juan in the fall. Do the large suites in the aft of the ship get into the santuary free? I would hope so. It reminds me of the Ritz or a fancy hotel around the world.

Jan

I was wondering the same thing. We are in a suite for the Oct sailing. Hopefully we will have the answer before then or I will just go and ask.

Laura

We are on the Crown for the 10/27/06 repo cruise, there are 4 of us from CA. We are renting a car when we arrive at JFK, and returning it to Avis in Brooklyn (we are coming in a couple of days early). Question can my DH, drop us off at the terminal or would he be allowed inside the gated area (such as taxi, buses, etc) or do the 3 of us have to walk from the gate, while he returns the car? Thanks in advance.:confused:

Joseph, what could they have been thinking is exactly right. They should have left the Calypso pool area covered and adults only and that would solve the problem. I haven't experienced MUTS and from what I have read, don't want to....but they could put that at the other pool and leave one for peace and quiet and adults. What a mess.

I always wondered why Princess didn't install MUTS in the Poseidon pool area and kept the Calypso pool covered but, to answer the concerns of those sailing in Europe, the Emerald will sail the Med. and it is HOT in the summer. The Transatlantic take a more southern route than a classic ocean crossing so, with a little luck, you'll have beautful weather after leaving the Azores.

Studebaker59...I noticed that you said you had a balcony on Rivera Deck. This will be our first cruise on Princess and our first balcony. since we have never had either do you think R736 is a good choice and will we have enough shade? thanks Patricia

Hi Galelynn,

Yes, your husband will be able to drop you off at the curb in front of the terminal doors. We saw taxis and car services and private cars having easy access to curbside right in front of the terminal entrance at Red Hook when we went to the luncheon on Friday.

The only caution I will give (again, I guess :p... sorry) is that you must be patient while waiting in that single-file-snake-line of cars that slowly proceeds from the main entrance up to the doors of the actual terminal building.

If you jump-the-gun and leap out of your taxi or car too soon at the parking areas that appear first, you WILL end up unnecessarily dragging your bags a distance.

Also, the distance between the drop off curbside and the main terminal building's doors is very very short (literally from here to there :-). Even I, a person who is old and completely out of shape! could have pushed my tons of luggage from a cab to the entranceway, and then through security to the waiting room.

This makeshift terminal building was clearly built to be compact and to serve the needs specifically of these huge cruise ship passengers.

(sorry to repeat myself, all, but this info was buried in another thread and I wanted to answer the question that was posted here as well :) )

Lunamoon,

First, i would like to thank you for all of the info you have been generously sharing with us!

We are being dropped off at the pier (next sunday!)...are there people to help with the luggage that is being checked in right there or do you have to haul it inside? I don't tend to travel light and am trying to get a heads up as to what i'm in for! ;)

Thanks for your help!

Jane

Lunamoon,

First, i would like to thank you for all of the info you have been generously sharing with us!

We are being dropped off at the pier (next sunday!)...are there people to help with the luggage that is being checked in right there or do you have to haul it inside? I don't tend to travel light and am trying to get a heads up as to what i'm in for! ;)

Thanks for your help!

Jane

Dear Fellow Moon(mom) :p

I honestly cannot remember if there were people to help lug suitcases from the car at the curb through the doors of the terminal, which really are very closeby.

However my very own CEO has reminded me that there were large flat-bed carts (kind of like they have at home depot...) for stacking and pushing lots of baggage.

I must say, though, that the distance between curbside and the entrance doors is VERY short, and then the distance between the doors and security is also VERY short.

I (even with being completely out of shape and becoming shockingly old :o) could have easily pushed my bags from the curb to the doors, and then from the doors to security.

thanks lunamoon! Yes a large home depot like cart SHOULD do the trick!:p

oh and by the way, i've seen your pics...you look neither "completely out of shape", nor "becoming shockingly old" ;)

have a wonderful day!

jane aka moonie :)

oh and by the way, i've seen your pics...you look neither "completely out of shape", nor "becoming shockingly old" ;) (moonmon)

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :)

Now pass the bengay! :eek:

I was wondering if the pools and hot tubs on the Crown Princess are salt water filled. (rosebud)

Dear Rose,

No, they are not. That is one of the reasons I love the Princess ships better than others.

The freshwater pools are the reason that our daughter likes Princess so much!

We let her choose the cruise this time because it is a graduation/birthday present for her.

I wish more of the cruise lines would switch to freshwater pools!

Did anyone go to Magen's bay Beach? I am having my wedding ceremony there at 10 am on a Weds next June. Is it nice?

I am so happy about the pools not being salt water, that was terrible on my last few cruises on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Archived