another question about guaranteed cabins

Kroosin

I apologize in advance, I'm sure people are getting tired of answering these kind of questions but I'm still confused. If you book a guaranteed basic inside cabin on the lowest level and the ship sells out, you've got a basic inside cabin on the lowest level, right? Thanks.

I apologize in advance, I'm sure people are getting tired of answering these kind of questions but I'm still confused. If you book a guaranteed basic inside cabin on the lowest level and the ship sells out, you've got a basic inside cabin on the lowest level, right? Thanks.

No necessarily. If the ship is sold out does not mean that you will get the cabin category you confirmed. It could be that your guaranteed category has sold out and there are passengers assigned to all cabins in that category. In most cases when you do a guaranteed vs an assigned cabin, if you are given an upgrade it will be a inside to higher inside category, outside to a higher outside or balcony to a higher balcony. In some cases you may book an inside and get upgraded to an outside. If the ship is sold out you may not know until you check in at the pier what cabin you are assigned to.

Kroosin, it sounds like you're under the impressions that the cruise line waits until the ship is about to sail before they assign GTYs, and if you've booked an inside GTY then that's the cabin you'll have, but that's not really the case. The GTY cabins are less expensive than chosing your own cabin, so often times cruise lines sell you the GTY cabin and assign you pretty quickly.

Then they have that less-expensive GTY cabin to sell again...and again...and again. That said, yes, you may end up with your GTY level, but you have a very good chance of being upgraded. As people often post here, if you're going to book a GTY be sure to book one in a category you'll be happy with--as in, don't book an inside GTY trusting you'll be upgraded to an ocean view unless you'll be happy with an inside cabin!

For example, in May we booked two GTY balconies and got our cabin assignments within a few days (five-category upgrade). We booked balcony GTYs because, since our first balcony (Alaska cruise) we can't imagine cruising without a balcony! Of course, our cabin assignments could change right up until we're at the pier checking in...but they'll still be balconies!

Good advice, especially about booking only the lowest category you will be happy with. We have booked only one guarantee cabin in the past and we got exactly what we booked, it was fine. We upgraded once from a booked ocean view to a balcony guarantee and we were upgraded. However, within a class, it can be hard to know what an upgrade is. Ours was just up a couple levels higher than the minimum priced balconies in our class, we would have been happy with a balcony anywhere on the ship.

We usually end up getting some type of upgrade. One time we booked an OV, called the t.a and just couldn't do it. Wanted a balcony, she said we were already upgraded at no charge! :eek:

In Jan. we did an OV to save money, never again! Wouldn't cruise without the balcony again. Adds sooooo much to your cruise.

Anyways...

Can get those upgrades, but always book what you'll be happy with cuz u may not get an upgrade. Chances r good though...maybe it depends with the line?

We have booked with Carnaval at their lowest price for their lowest cat cabin. But they want to have those cabins available to sell so we have always been moved up to a much higher cat cabin. (Highest and next to highest inside cabins.) We don't reserve a specific cabin. we just book the cruise and have always been moved up.

Archived