CC sail away party ideas?

droseball

A game I used to play and also host is a good ice-breaker for folks who don't know each other very well: You, being the host/hostess, make up index cards (one for each person) and write down the name of a famous person (like Marilyn Monroe for example). Then, without the person knowing who you picked out of the stack, tape it on his/her back. That person then has to ask each of the other passengers a question. It has to be a yes/no question. For example, "Am I still alive today?" You can be really creative. Make up people who are alive or dead, characters in a famous TV show (Captain Stubing), cartoon characters, famous book characters (Harry Potter), etc. Each person is permitted only 20 questions to find out who they are. The person who figures it out in the fewest questions wins a prize. You could buy something very inexpensive for that: $10 on board credit, or a hat or shirt or something. I found this a great way for folks to get to know each other. And, it won't distract from the actual sail-away experience.

Our experience has been that you will get better turnout if you schedule your get together sometime on the first sea day rather than at sailaway. Many folks are still settling in, dealing with table changes in the dining room, specialty restaurant reservations and such. We typically choose one of the bars mid-afternooon on the first sea day for our get togethers.

A couple of trips ago I went to one of the local novelty shops that supplies trinkets for school carnivals and such and bought 20 pairs of groucho glasses for the group we were meeting. They were less than $2 a pair. If you don't want to make that sort of investment, last trip we took Burger King crowns. They weren't quite as much fun, but the price was right.

The glasses proved to be a great ice breaker and one of the best on board photos we have is the group of us on the staircase in the dining room, dressed in our best formalwear, and wearing the groucho glasses.

Another couple of ideas - have a hometown souvenier exchange. Each person brings an inexpensive souvenier from their hometown to exchange - you can set up the exchange however you want (pull numbers, random exchange, etc.). I also toyed with the idea of making a CD with some "cruise" type music and putting labels with our sail dates for favors.

hope this helps

Don't go out and spend money!!!

We had one organized for a sailaway recently and the boarding was delayed by several hours. Our meet time came and went before we even got onboard.

Some other times, people who were registered for a CC party never showed, but some who never responded to threads (only lurked, which is absolutely fine) were there and knew exactly who I was.

If it is sponsored by the ship, they may provide snacks and juice/iced tea/water/coffee and name tags. If it is on your own, you may take a few name tags along. My point is, don't be too disappointed if people you really wanted to meet can't make your party. Things beyond control can happen. There have been a couple times where people came back here after the cruise stated they didn't make it because they fell asleep!

Have a great cruise, no matter who you meet :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We have a Meet & Mingle scheduled for the first at sea day, but that is two days after we board so we just wanted to get together (whoever can and wants to) at sail away. We aren't going to make any big plans for this other than wearing something so we can recognize each other. We are planning the gift swap for whoever signs up (something from your home area) for the Meet & Mingle. Anyway, thanks again for such great ideas!

Denise

We will be having a sail away get together on our cruise in October - and one of my M&M friends has suggested that we all get inexpensive mardi gras beads to wear - I have been so excited about this new adventure that somehow I have managed to collect 27 strands of beads - I am going to wear them all and if one of the M&M folks doesn't have any - they may have some of mine. Jan

On our last Carribean cruise, we decided to meet after muster at the pool side bar. We were wondering how to identify ourselves...so we all came up with the idea to wear flowered leis. So we wore them as we boarded until we all met. It was fun standing in line and spotting others with the leis on. Another thing we did was someone on the thread compiled a list of everyone's cabin numbers and just before the cruise posted it and those that wanted to printed it. This made it easier to contact every one if there was a time change in something that we planned. Have a great time.

Peace, Anna:)

Thanks Anna! We have also decided to wear leis and I thank you for the cabin number suggestion too. We have a "summary list" going and everyone has put in some info about themselves so we can remember who everyone is once we are talking in person (not just cruise critic names!). Thanks again for the suggestion!

Denise

Archived