What is the procedure for service animals on QM2?

RuthC

I have a friend who is considering a lengthy cruise on QM2 next winter. He would need to bring a service animal with him, but does not know how that is handled. He would not have another human to help him.

Do those of you who are familiar with Cunard---and QM2 in particular---know if it is possible to bring a service animal, and how is it handled? (The animal would not be for a blind person.)

Thank you for any and all information. :)

From Cunard's website:

Cunard is pleased to permit individuals to bring service animals onboard. In order to make appropriate arrangements, notice that a guest will be travelling with an animal must be provided at the time of booking. Local laws or customs may prevent animals from disembarking at particular ports and countries. It is the guest’s obligation to obtain all documents/health certificates that may be required. Consult local customs authorities for information and requirements.

As the DIL of a blind person, I can tell you that Cunard treated her and her dog, Freya, like gold when she was aboard the QEII.

Thank you for the information, msk. I think my friend is looking for more "hands on" kind of information. For example, is the dog allowed to stay in the cabin, or must it be placed in a kennel?

What accommodations are made for feeding the dog? Does the passenger need to supply the food, or does the ship take care of that?

Is there an area to exercise the animal? (We're talking about a very long voyage here.) What is the set-up for---shall I say "personal hygine"---needs of the animal?

If the dog can't be taken ashore, can it be left alone in the cabin while the passenger tours?

I realize that most posters here won't have personal knowledge to answer these questions, but we're hoping that someone does have info to share. Perhaps someone has noticed another passenger with a service animanl when they sailed, and learned how it works that way?

Ruth

They really need to discuss their needs directly with Cunard. Insofar as your friend is not vision-impaired, their disability needs can better be addressed by special services.

Now, I would question the need for a service animal onboard when one is able to leave the dog behind while touring. That would raise some questions at Cunard. Service animals always accompany their charge, except when they are "off duty" and it is play time.

Archived