St. Croix -- why isn't it on any Carnival routes?

kcscrapper

Does anyone else miss this port of call? I was aboard Carnival Victory in 2001 when it still stopped in Frederiksted on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I loved this quaint island and had two great shore excursions (snorkeling & a bike tour) along with a festival in town that evening. We were in port from 9am to 11pm.

Does anyone know why Carnival dropped this port of call? I had read that increasing crime was the issue, but frankly that could be a problem with most any port.

Does anyone else miss this port of call? I was aboard Carnival Victory in 2001 when it still stopped in Frederiksted on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I loved this quaint island and had two great shore excursions (snorkeling & a bike tour) along with a festival in town that evening. We were in port from 9am to 11pm.

Does anyone know why Carnival dropped this port of call? I had read that increasing crime was the issue' date=' but frankly that could be a problem with most any port.[/color']

Im not sure if it was St. Croix or St. John that the Glory was in, when they had to leave that island ASAP because of the Crime and instead made it to Belize where the Triumph was, thats where we heard about the problem and why they had to leave that island. This was March of 2001.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the residents in the Virgin Islands think Carnival pulled out of St Croix as a way of punishing the governor for not allowing them to develop their own dock at what is now Crown Bay. Now that there's a new governor, supposedly dialogue has opened up again, and everybody is hoping that Carnival will re-negotiate and return to St Croix.

You can always go back to St Croix on a land vacation. I just returned, and stayed at a lovely budget hotel (Sandcastle at the Beach) 1/2 mile from Frederiksted just steps from the beach for $89 nite for 2 of us. Very casual and relaxing and definitely a bargain!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I live in St Thomas, so it's easier for me to get there.

What you should probably do, is wait for Spirit or American to offer cheap fares to St Thomas, and then take either the weekend ferry ($90 RT) from STT or one of the commuter/seaplanes for approx $150 RT. Since hotels are cheaper in STX than STT, you'll easily make up the expense to get there from STT.

Archived