Best place to buy diamonds in the Caribbean?

Most of the previous threads on this subject got responses recommending St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman is considered a little expensive, but I got an anniversary band there last November that matched my solitaire EXACTLY, was EXACTLY the style I'd been looking for, and was EXACTLY the price I wanted to pay. So, I like Grand Cayman.. :D

I've never heard anything about Aruba being a good shopping place for diamonds, but I haven't been there in years, and it might have changed. Maybe getting this back to page one of the threads will get you some more answers.

If it's anything like next door neighbor Curacao, the prices are no bargain... also my partner is a diamond merchant, and while there are certainly some good prices in the other Caribbean islands... he swears you can get the same pricing from reputable discount high volume jewelers in the states.. of course, there is the allure of no tax, and sneaking it by the customs agents :)

OOOh Matt- great to know. Howie's uncle was a diamond cutter and my engagement ring (Chip as his uncle called it) was chosen from an assortment on his kitchen table (back in 1977). When we finish paying for Jason's tuition (and cruises), I'll ask your partner to recommend someone reputable to buy earrings.

I agree you don't really get bargains that much in the Carib, but for me it's a convenient way to shop for jewelry. I am not a big shopper by nature, so having it all there in one day is great, and I find the selection different than what I see (limited seeing, as I said before) at home. Also, I like the sentimental value it adds to have bought the jewelry on vacation. I "remember" a lot of jewelry by where I was when I bought it.

If you make a stop at St. Maarten, be sure to visit Touch of Gold. They have the largest selection of loose diamonds on the island. I've purchased several excellent pieces from here over the years and have never had a problem. The staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to assist. On my last cruise there in 2001 aboard Enchantment 22 different members of my group made purchases at Touch of Gold. It was great fun at dinner that evening seeing all the ladies with their new purchases. Of course, some of the men were less than thrilled with me for recommending they visit the store. Here's a link to their web site:

Touch of Gold

LB, I am sure he would be glad to help.. Peggy, I agree with you... there are obvious and good reasons to buy on vacation if the price is right.. just really bargain with them. Since we were not really going to buy, as we browsed and were about to leave, prices were always suddenly slashed below whatever discount had already been offered..

Archived