Accra vs. Paynes Bay

Quinn

My husband and I will be stopping in Barbados in March 2007 - Which beach is recommended for a nice quiet afternoon with beach chairs and umbrella (a must), food and a bar. Any info would be appreciated...Thanks

My wife and I went to Accra also known as Rockley Beach. We rented chairs & umbrella in front of the Sugar Reef Restaurant. It was a week before Valentines Day. They had roses and flowers all over the place. A special personal touch. A simple fresh water shower was next to the bar. It was quiet and calming there, unlike the other end of the beach that was in front of the hotels. The food was great and got to witness local residents climbing trees for coconuts and cutting them for their milk. Got to drink some from green coconuts. Not recommended, unless your a bit ecccentric or foolish. The wave action was minimal in front of the eatery, good for children. If you move 50 meters South then is like the East coast of Florida, not boring, enjoyed it alot. Looking forward to returning.

Got to drink some from green coconuts. Not recommended, unless your a bit ecccentric or foolish. .

Not sure what the problem with drinking from Green Coconuts is. but it's actually pretty good and pretty good for you. It's not milky like a can of coconut milk would look like, but watery looking..

anyway. I would recommend either beach.

Unfortunately Sugar Reef has closed , (land dispute and nothing to do with the restaurant or owners of the restaurant) which is really too bad. Accra/rockely Beach is a great beach.. You can get food at the vendors kiosks in the middle of the beach area. De Rock is owned by a friend of mine and has good food. There are guys renting chairs and umbrellas and plenty of shade.

I also happen to really like Paynes Bay and luckily the beach has started to comeback so it's becoming wider than it has been in the last year or so. Again there are buys renting beach chairs etc.. and several places for food along that stretch.

enjoy your stay

• 4 months later...

Archived