NCL-Beach day at Kaanapali

DaisyL

Anyone take this excursion? How was it? Is it better to rent a car and go to Kaanapali beach on our own? With the excursion you get a beach chair. Can we rent a chair on our own? Is there convenient parking at the beach and restroom facilities? We plan on renting a van the first day anyway (group of 6).

Sorry for all the questions, we were there 16 yrs ago and stayed at a condo further north on Kaanapali beach and remember parking at Whalers village, going through the museum and walking the length of Kaanapali beach admiring the beach and hotel resorts. I'm sure it's changed much since then.

We would really like to visit and enjoy the beach and walk past the hotels ... maybe stop for a drink and lunch/snack.

Can't say much about the specifics of the excursion, but your description of Kaanapali is still spot on. A couple of the hotels may have been upgraded or improved, but there's still Whaler's Village, the lovely walk, the nifty resorts, the great snorkeling at Black Rock, the great beach.

Some nice places for lunch at Whaler's Village. The mexican restaurant that was there 16 years ago (can't recall its name) is gone, but Hula Grill is still there, as is Leilani's etc.

We are there next week and we decided since we are renting a van, we'd do the "Beach Day" on our own. IMO, I think you could pick up a chair or two at Wal-Mart and still save money and move at your own pace to the beach and the Whaler's Village. It seems pretty easy to get there...

I would actually recommend taking the excursion. There are a few main reasons: 1) the cost of parking, I'm not sure, but there will be a fee; 2) the chairs they provide are probably more like cabanas (recliners with moveable shade - absolute heaven!); 3) Kaanapali is my favorite place IN THIS WORLD you will absolutely LOVE it. I think if you do decide to do it on your own, you may have difficulty knowing exactly where to go. If you do decide to go solo, I would suggest you park at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel (awesome hotel) and go to the beach there. It's the most beautiful place and you wont regret it. You can rent a cabana for about $40 for 4 hours (I do believe).

Anyone take the Kaanapali Beach tour with NCL?

My husband and I were on the inaugural Pride of Hawaii cruise and we took this tour on our second day in Maui. We absolutely loved the beach and would go there again if we had the chance. The water was clear and warm, and the snorkeling was great. On the ship's tour, they take you to the Sheraton, which is at the end of the beach by Black Rock. They do give you a beach chair, but it is the standard kind of beach chair, not a lounge. You also get a pineapple spear at the bar by the pool. With six people, though, I think I'd rent a van, which will give you more time on the beach since you won't have to wait for the bus to take you there and back, plus it will be a lot less expensive. They do have chair and cabana rentals but I didn't really pay attention to the prices.

I would actually recommend taking the excursion. There are a few main reasons: 1) the cost of parking, I'm not sure, but there will be a fee; 2) the chairs they provide are probably more like cabanas (recliners with moveable shade - absolute heaven!); 3) Kaanapali is my favorite place IN THIS WORLD you will absolutely LOVE it. I think if you do decide to do it on your own, you may have difficulty knowing exactly where to go. If you do decide to go solo, I would suggest you park at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel (awesome hotel) and go to the beach there. It's the most beautiful place and you wont regret it. You can rent a cabana for about $40 for 4 hours (I do believe).

Is this new or perhaps mostly done "off season" (such as it is)? As recently as last June, you had to be a guest a KBH to rent a cabana. Just curious because they had a waiting list for hotel guests only.

beachchick

fyi the cost of parking at Whaler's Village isn't much. As I recall it was in the $10 range, but is validated: A few minutes' shopping in the ABC store or getting an ice cream (or lunch at a WV restaurant) will take care of any parking fees.

The KBH, such a nice quiet hotel. We cruised Hawaii twice and now return to the KBH because of the quiet, the beauty and the location! This beach is one of the nicest we ever been to.

Isn't it? My DH surprised me for Valentine's Day last year and took me on a weekend trip there. I loved the atmosphere (kinda like Gidget Goes Hawaiian and the hotel you'd see in the Beach Blanket Bingo movies) I LOVED the checker board in the lawn with the painted coconuts!

BeachC: I'm not sure as I was a guest the last time I was there. I know the location at the hotel on the beach is PRIME. I wasn't able to find a way to the beach through the Whaler's Village (however, the Hilo Hatties clothing company there is GREAT, nice aloha wear - I even bought a dress!).

10$ is a lot for Hawaii parking, but when we visited Chicago, we noticed that the prices were like that, so I guess "expensive parking" is all relative to how much you usually spend :rolleyes:

AlohaPride: I suspected that might be the case; I've not known them to rent to non-guests.

We've parked at Whaler's Village a few times and the way to the beachwalk is a bit convoluted, but eventually you can get there (once you walk through the whole shopping complex). The access was between a couple of beachside restaurants, as I recall.

beachchick

AlohaPride: I suspected that might be the case; I've not known them to rent to non-guests.

We've parked at Whaler's Village a few times and the way to the beachwalk is a bit convoluted, but eventually you can get there (once you walk through the whole shopping complex). The access was between a couple of beachside restaurants, as I recall.

beachchick

I'm so jealous of ANYBODY that gets to spend a day at Kaanapali Beach! You'd think I go more often consitering its just an island hop away, but seriously, it's the best place in the world. You can just lay on the beach and watch the whales. Heaven! :rolleyes:

I'm so jealous of ANYBODY that gets to spend a day at Kaanapali Beach! You'd think I go more often consitering its just an island hop away, but seriously, it's the best place in the world. You can just lay on the beach and watch the whales. Heaven! :rolleyes:

Can't argue with you about Kaanapali being a terrific beach, but I have to say there are several Hawaii beaches that rank right up there. In fact, my favorite Hawaii swimming beach is on your home island. We just love Kailua for swimming and lounging. Of course, there are no resorts, etc. That's okay. To be honest, I'm not sure I could name one Hawaii beach as my favorite--there are so many that we love (each has its own charms).:D

beachchick

Can't argue with you about Kaanapali being a terrific beach, but I have to say there are several Hawaii beaches that rank right up there. In fact, my favorite Hawaii swimming beach is on your home island. We just love Kailua for swimming and lounging. Of course, there are no resorts, etc. That's okay. To be honest, I'm not sure I could name one Hawaii beach as my favorite--there are so many that we love (each has its own charms).:D

beachchick

I agree... Kailua is a great place. It just rains a lot on that side of the island :o It also depends on what you want to do. I would rather go paddling in Kailua and lounging/sun bathing at Kaanapali :D SCUBA Diving at Shark's Cove (North Shore) and playing with my dog just behind my house out here in Ewa Beach ;)

But all in all, I still LOVE Kaanapali!

Thanks again everyone for your help. Kaanapali sounds great for us for our 1 day there... Thanks

Archived