balcony or not?

lynnck7

We always thought we'd get a balcony when we do a full-transit, but we're wondering now if it would be worth the extra money (considering that we don't necessarily care if we have a balcony for the portion of the cruise that is not in the canal--that's fodder for other discussion, I know). We were told by some that all you see from some balconies during the transit is the wall. Others have said that observation from a deck or a forward lounge is far better, but that you have to get there early to get a good seat. I don't know if I'd want to camp out there the whole time to keep my seat. If you do think a balcony is the way to go, what about location? (I guess one thing that would determine the best location is whether the cruise is west-to-east or east-to-west?) Thanks for any advice.

We did a Panama Canal cruise a couple of years ago on HAL and did not have a balcony cabin. The best viewing of the canal is from the upper decks not from any balcony. Be up early and find a place up high on the front of the ship as it approaches the canal (we came in from the Pacific and came under the Bridge of the Americas as the sun was rising). Stay on the front of the ship through the locks into the lake. When your ship gets to the other side of the canal you will probably have a couple of hours anchored waiting for your turn to go through the locks. This is a good time to take a break, get something to eat and drink and maybe even take a nap. Then get back up to the front of the ship and take your pictures as you go thourgh the other set of locks. As you finish going through the last lock head to the back of the ship for good last pictures of the locks.

Have a great next cruise.

We always thought we'd get a balcony when we do a full-transit, but we're wondering now if it would be worth the extra money (considering that we don't necessarily care if we have a balcony for the portion of the cruise that is not in the canal--that's fodder for other discussion, I know). We were told by some that all you see from some balconies during the transit is the wall. Others have said that observation from a deck or a forward lounge is far better, but that you have to get there early to get a good seat. I don't know if I'd want to camp out there the whole time to keep my seat. If you do think a balcony is the way to go, what about location? (I guess one thing that would determine the best location is whether the cruise is west-to-east or east-to-west?) Thanks for any advice.

We did opt for a balcony for our cruise - a 17 night Panama Canal cruise next April. The length of the cruise determined that a balcony would be nice, not the canal, as we had read many reviews which state exactly as wwinfl91 has described.

I agree with you about not wanting to camp out on the forward lounge - it sounds as though it gets pretty crowded, and for one, I would be wanting to escape. I would believe that perhaps if you are going to camp out, the aft of the ship would be a better choice.

I shall know next April - till then, it is a continuation of reading all of the posts possible regarding this subject.

Good luck - When are you going, and on which ship; if you don't mind.

Thanks, SailAways

i am a solo cruiser and i pay alot more for a cabin, but i get a balcony every time for any warm weather cruises. there is nothing better than setting out there at night seeing the sunset with a foo-foo drink in the peace and quiet alone. or getting room service in the morning and drinking my coffee out there. ahhh, now that is living. and i love the sound of the ocean coming through the balcony door at night too put me too sleep. i say get the balcony if you can swing it. you wont be sorry ;) .

We sailed HAL thrugh the Caribbean and thru the first set of locks into Gatun Lake Oct2005. We had an oceanview cabin.

Another place to see tha action (slow) at the locks was in the gym. You were inside, sitting in the window in front of the treadmills and had a great view.

After we watched how the first 2 locks operated, we went back to our cabin. When we opened the drapes yes, we saw the wall but it was neat to watch the ship rise in relation to the wall...kind of like going up in a see-thru elevator.

Have Fun

Archived