Sometimes, FF programs do work correctly

SC_Sam

DW and I decided to use some of our FF miles to fly to FLL for our 09/02/06 cruise. Had a huge number of miles with Delta, but there are no direct flights from either our local airport (CAE - Columbia, SC) or the closest hub (CLT). To use Delta miles would have entailed a connection through Atlanta, and the flight times were not as attractive to us.

My problem was that I only had around 30,000 miles each in USAir and United. To get us to FLL, I had to get creative, but I worked it out.

I had read about the Star Alliance program in postings on this website. I went online to United's website and read more about the Star Alliance info.

There was a USAir direct flight (CLT-FLL) that suited our time schedule for 25,000 miles. I could use my USAir miles for this one, no problem. But I waited to make sure I could accomplish the next step.

I called the United reservations line and (after about thirty minutes on hold) told them what I wanted to do, which was use 25,000 of my United Miles to book award travel across the Star Alliance network on that same USAir flight. It worked! Cost me $20 ($15 "live" booking + $5 gov't).

I then went online and booked the seat for DW using my 25,000 USAir miles. Cost me $5 in taxes, government charges, etc.

Afterwards, I called USAir reservations to get us seated together. No problem. I can verify both reservations online at USAir's website, just under different confirmation numbers.

"I love it when a plan comes together." With so many folks having difficulties finding award seats (or having to use double miles to get the seats), I just wanted to pass this along, to show that sometimes, things do work as advertised.

One question for the experts out there:

I have actually stopped using the credit card on which I had accumulated the United miles, so I was glad to use the miles. This will leave me with about 5,000 miles left in the account. Since I don't travel UAL and have stopped using that credit card, does anybody have any ideas of how to use these miles?

Thanks.

I have actually stopped using the credit card on which I had accumulated the United miles, so I was glad to use the miles. This will leave me with about 5,000 miles left in the account. Since I don't travel UAL and have stopped using that credit card, does anybody have any ideas of how to use these miles?

Thanks.

Go to http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,3831,00.html?jumpLink=%2Fawards for options such as restaurant certificates

You could give them to a friend (which will cost something per mile, don't know what) or donate them to charity (not all of the airlines participate, so be sure that United does). You don't get to take a deduction, but you will have a warm fuzzy feeling. I can't think of much else.

Go to http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,3831,00.html?jumpLink=%2Fawards for options such as restaurant certificates

You could give them to a friend (which will cost something per mile, don't know what) or donate them to charity (not all of the airlines participate, so be sure that United does). You don't get to take a deduction, but you will have a warm fuzzy feeling. I can't think of much else.

Sometimes you buy a magazine subscription for a few hundred or thousand miles. I've found that this is a good way to burn miles but still get some use out of them.

I just burned the balance of my US Air miles for car rentals.

United has a whole lot of ways to use orphan miles. Auctions (some really good stuff for little mileage), dining certificates-2000 miles for $100.00 certificate for certain restaurants, you can get most of the major newspapers, Wall Street Journal or USA Today. United has one of the best programs to burn miles, other than airline seats.

There are some pretty spectacular auctions. Bungee jumping in LA-10 jumps-bid is now 1000 miles-auction ends July 6. Taste of Chicago tickets to ALL events (includes some pretty good concerts)-bid is now 1100 miles. Ends tomorrow.

DW and I decided to use some of our FF miles to fly to FLL for our 09/02/06 cruise. Had a huge number of miles with Delta, but there are no direct flights from either our local airport (CAE - Columbia, SC) or the closest hub (CLT). To use Delta miles would have entailed a connection through Atlanta, and the flight times were not as attractive to us.

My problem was that I only had around 30,000 miles each in USAir and United. To get us to FLL, I had to get creative, but I worked it out.

I had read about the Star Alliance program in postings on this website. I went online to United's website and read more about the Star Alliance info.

There was a USAir direct flight (CLT-FLL) that suited our time schedule for 25,000 miles. I could use my USAir miles for this one, no problem. But I waited to make sure I could accomplish the next step.

I called the United reservations line and (after about thirty minutes on hold) told them what I wanted to do, which was use 25,000 of my United Miles to book award travel across the Star Alliance network on that same USAir flight. It worked! Cost me $20 ($15 "live" booking + $5 gov't).

I then went online and booked the seat for DW using my 25,000 USAir miles. Cost me $5 in taxes, government charges, etc.

Afterwards, I called USAir reservations to get us seated together. No problem. I can verify both reservations online at USAir's website, just under different confirmation numbers.

"I love it when a plan comes together." With so many folks having difficulties finding award seats (or having to use double miles to get the seats), I just wanted to pass this along, to show that sometimes, things do work as advertised.

One question for the experts out there:

Thanks.

Check with the Make a Wish Foundation. I think that they can be donated there, they will combine them with others and use them for a good cause.

Archived