NCL Star - Formal Night

kmgl

All you recent cruisers - what night is formal night on the Star to Alaska? We are not bringing formal clothes, so should we stay out of the main dining rooms on formal night and go to Endless Summer or one of those extra places, or must we go the buffet?

Also, I understand that jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms for dinner, but I was wondering if it is okay on the very first night. I have heard that some people don't have their luggage to change clothes before dinner.

Thanks.

The first formal night is Monday... also lobster night. There were a decent number of people dressed formally, but there was also a large number that were not. Our group did not dress formal, and we were very comfortable and did not feel out of place. We ate in the main dining room, Versailles... perhaps it was different in the specialty restaurants, but don't feel like you should not go to Versailles. There was a 2nd somewhat formal night towards the end, but even less dressed for this one.

P.S. I was on the 6/18-25 cruise, so about as recent as it gets!

Can you get lobster in the specialty restaurants or are they served only in the dining rooms on lobster night? Are they only available the one night?

Lobster will only be served in the main dining rooms on "optional" formal night. At the speciality restaurants you can order lobster every night, until they run out of lobsdter, which happens occasionally. So to be safe, don't wait until the last night to reserve a table at the speciality restaurants, especially if you plan on eating lobster.

We are not bringing formal clothes, so should we stay out of the main dining rooms on formal night and go to Endless Summer or one of those extra places, or must we go the buffet?

Also, I understand that jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms for dinner, but I was wondering if it is okay on the very first night. I have heard that some people don't have their luggage to change clothes before dinner.

You will not have to eat elsewhere if you're not in formal clothes. A major part of Freestyle Cruising is the Resort Casual dress code which always applies. A collared shirt and slacks is always appropriate aboard NCL ships, including "optional" formal night.

It is true they aren't really picky on the first night for the very reason you suggested. You can avoid the jeans question all together by wearing slacks when you check aboard. Brand new slacks are just as comfortatble as a pair of well worn jeans. But that's the rub, well worn jeans are often raggy and torn, which are unacceptable.

All formal nights on all NCL ships are OPTIONAL FORMAL. You can dress up if you want or you can stay in resort casual. No need to pack dress clothes at all!

On formal night, only about 40% of the people will dress up and that will range from tuxes to shirt and tie. The rest will be in resort casual. (polo shirts, kahkis, etc.) There is no restriction on dining rooms as all will accept either dress. You will see those in tuxes sitting at tables next to those in polo shirts.

The joy of Freestyle: to dress as you want, to eat WHEN you want and to eat with who you want (or don't want...lol)

As others have said, formal night is optional, and is Monday night on the AK sailings of the Star. We were on the 6/18-25 sailing. You can eat in either of the 2 main dining rooms, whether you are dressed formal or not.

Jeans are OK the first night - but there is still a sign posted that says they're not allowed after 5pm.

Thanks everyone for all the answers. It is great to know we don't have to pack extra, and also to know that we can still eat anywhere.

What time are the shows at night, so that we can plan dinner around those times? Also, any favorite shows?

What time are the shows at night, so that we can plan dinner around those times? Also, any favorite shows?

Most of the shows in the main theater on the STAR (Stardust Theater) are at 7:30 and 9:30 but ALWAYS check your Freestyle Dailies. Besides the main shows, there are also shows in the Spinnaker that are at different times, such as 8:45, 9:45 or 10:45, etc. Again, check your dailies.

DO NOT miss the Liar's Club. I'm not sure when you will be cruising, but I don't believe Shawn Farquhar will be back on board yet, which is too bad for you. But still, the Liar's Club will be a good time.

We also enjoy the "game show" kind of shows. Family Feud, Majority Rules, Newlywed Game, etc.

Have a blast!

Hikini:D

The Liar's Club is a fun, entertaining game where there are 4 panelists. Our cruise last week only had 3 because one of the panelists had to leave the ship the day before.

Those 4 panelists usually consist of the Cruise Director or his/her assistant, the guest comedian, and 2 other people from the ship.

They are given a word (ahead of time so they can prepare) and only one of them has the right definition. The other 3 make up a definition for the word. They can get very carried away with their descriptions, and it can be quite hilarious.

Then the audience, which has been divided into teams, chooses which panelist is telling the truth.

There are usually 4 words given and it takes about 45 minutes or so for the whole thing to unfold. No prizes are given to the winning team.:rolleyes:

We had so much fun watching the Liar's Club that I suggested to my director at work that we use a similar format at one of our staff meetings/team building meetings. It is so hilarious, especially if you can get people to lie without giving anything away with their body language, etc!

We had so much fun watching the Liar's Club that I suggested to my director at work that we use a similar format at one of our staff meetings/team building meetings. It is so hilarious, especially if you can get people to lie without giving anything away with their body language, etc!

This has been one of my favorite events on each of our cruises. We play a scaled down version at home called Balderdash.

Archived