First Cruise- questions

Hello everyone,

This will be our first cruise. NOS the end of July...keeping our fingers crossed we will have the new bedding! lol

I am sorry if these sound like silly questions but here goes.....

1. Do you have to book once on board for the ice show as well as the other shows? I am not sure if you put in a reservation per say or just show up and hope to get a seat. I read awhile back something about tickets? Where do you get them and for what shows?

2. Do the bathroom doors have a hook on it? I heard there isn't much room in the bathrooms for storage and many have bought those over the door shoe organizers. I bought one but it has a hanger on the top so I would need a hook to hang it. It doesn't go over the door. We have a D2 cabin on deck 9. Are the bathrooms really small?

3. Is the spa worth the money? What do you suggest?

4. I read that you use a credit card or any card with a magnetic strip to open your in-room safe? What is that about? I am clueless on that one.

5. What do people wear on the ship during the day? What kind of cover-up does everyone wear?

Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

We are getting so excited and can't wait!!!

Thank you for any help you can offer and again, sorry if these sound like silly questions. Being our first cruise I can't believe how clueless I am. Although I have gained a lot of information from CC.

Thanks again!

1. Do you have to book once on board for the ice show as well as the other shows? I am not sure if you put in a reservation per say or just show up and hope to get a seat. I read awhile back something about tickets? Where do you get them and for what shows?

They'll announce on the PA and in the cruise compass, the timeframe for getting Ice Show tickets. You don't need tickets for anything but the ice-show, and that is only a crowd-management strategy...spacing people out.

2. Do the bathroom doors have a hook on it?

Yep...four or so hooks on the back of the door.

3. Is the spa worth the money? What do you suggest?

Never used it, couldn't say. :)

4. I read that you use a credit card or any card with a magnetic strip to open your in-room safe? What is that about? I am clueless on that one.

I'd imagine NV has the newer safes, in which you enter a four digit code (of your own choosing) to close and open it. Haven't been on this ship, so maybe someone else can chime in.

5. What do people wear on the ship during the day? What kind of cover-up does everyone wear?

Darlin, you see it ALL! (sometimes, unfortunately, quite literally! LOL)

Any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Very important tip.....Have a GREAT time! :p

T

2. Do the bathroom doors have a hook on it? I heard there isn't much room in the bathrooms for storage and many have bought those over the door shoe organizers. I bought one but it has a hanger on the top so I would need a hook to hang it. It doesn't go over the door. We have a D2 cabin on deck 9. Are the bathrooms really small?

Here are answers to a few of the questions.

You pick up tickets to the ice show after you are onboard. I think it was on Monday or Tuesday. There will be a note in the Cruise Compass (the daily newsletter that is delivered the previous evening), so you will have time to get down there and stand in line for tickets. I just got in line after breakfast, may 15 minutes before tickets were available, and we got the time that we wanted. The tickets aren't for reserved seats, just for that particular show. All of the seats are good.

The bathroom doors have a hook on them, so you can hang an organizer, or your robe or whatever. The bathrooms are quite compact, but perfectly okay (absolutely smaller than anything you would find in a hotel or even in my first apartment). But they are really well designed - There is a shower, toilet and small vanity. On Mariner there were all kinds of great cubbies that held my makeup, soap, sunscreen, etc. Take your own shampoo & shower gel --- there isn't anything special onboard. There is only a shaver outlet in the bathroom.

The in-room safe has a keypad. You program your own code for it. It is an okay size - I put our passports, wallets, iPod, digital camera and my (very) small jewellery box in it.

People wear virtually everything during the day. Some people dress really nicely - khakis, button down shirts, deck shoes, sundresses. Most people wear shorts or capris. You can't go into Windjammer (the buffet) in a bathing suit. Most people wear a short dress style coverup, or shorts and top, or something similar to that. Men wear t-shirts and shorts. You will see all kinds of dress --- so don't fret too much about it. I don't know if I'd go with just a big old t-shirt, but almost anything else seems to be acceptable. People dress a bit better in the dining room (more likely to wear shorts than a bathing suit coverup). One tip --- don't wear the teeny little flitty skirts because you will probably spend a lot of time on the stairs. :p

Have a wonderful time!

My best advice: Do not overpack. Take the 2 formal outfits and try to bring the same pair of shoes for both.Most people change right after dinner to something more comfortable. When i firat started to cruise 6 yrs ago, I took 7 night time outfits, 7 day time and 7 spares ...just in case i did not want to wear what I brought. Now I have cut it to this: 3 bathing suits...a must since one is always wet...a pair of shorts for the excursions to wear over the bathing suit to do sight seeing and of course a beach... tank tops.. a nice pair of black slacks with nice tops for evening casual, and yes, oh yes, now that it is casual at night..a nice pair of my NICE JEANS!! And boy do I just love this lighter packing. Daytime on the sea days are swim suits, my cabana pants for running to the windjammer... and flip flops. How much less I can pack is my goal for our next cruise. I am still going over the 50 pound limit in the airport and have to do the clothes shuffle in the line with the kids and DH suitcases. 2 Years ago it was 75 pounds and i was going slightly over so when they reduced it to 50 I had to reduce what I was bringing. I am promising myself this time even less.

As far as your other questions which have been answered I will not do that again. But another good tip: Do not feel like you are missing something( which you will be since there is so much going on). Enjoy what you are doing and know you are missing things that you will just have to do/see on the next cruise..... how can a DH resist booking again when DW did not do all the things she wanted to do....LOL! And mostly, enjoy. Look at all the art work all over the ship. Walk the stairs instead of the elevators...deck 9 is great. That is where we were and will be on our next cruise. A fast walk up to the pool and not bad going down to the dining room and the theater, and the promanade. Walk down other decks to see the art there...no 2 decks are the same. ENjoy.

Ok, first - there are no silly questions. Ask away - someone on the board will answer. I've not been on the Navigator but was on the Explorer in March. (Navigator is Sept).

1) You do need tickets for the ice show. There will be an announcement in the Daily Compass as to when/where the tickets will be distributed. The Compass will also tell you which days/times the show will be offered. You go the designated place, stand in line and make a choice as to which day/time you prefer. Not sure what will happen if you just show up.

2) All other shows - you do not need a ticket or reservation - you simply show up. Your Daily Compass will list the times for the shows. The production shows are typically offered twice and are paired up with your dinner seating. If you choose to eat in the Windjammer or alternative dining - you may attend either show. Some shows (late night comedy, Quest, Love & Marriage) are only offered once but late enough so that all passengers may attend and not have a schedule conflict with dinner.

3) From my experience (8 cruises - all RCCL) all bathroom doors have a hook on the back for your toiletry bag. The bathrooms are small but doable. I can't comment on your D2 balcony but I have had an interior on the Empress. I love the sliding shower doors on the Explorer and understand that the Navigator has the same set up - much better than the shower curtain.

4) The spa is certainly up to your own personal tastes. There are many different packages to choose from however we typically book a massage on each cruise. There are specials on port days.

5) You may or may not need to use a credit card for the magnetic stripe. In our memory bank - we believe we only used the credit card once. The other ships - including the Explorer we set a 4 digit code - no credit card needed.

6) Cover-ups and other dress during the day - you will see all kinds - be comfortable and don't stress. T-shirts, shorts, capri pants, polo's, sundresses, sandals, flipflops and tennis shoes. For cover ups - again, whatever works - tank dress, t-shirt, sarong, etc. The rule of thumb advice is to pack - then take out half. I've met people on board who spent months shopping and others who bring their oldest shorts and t-shirts with them. The old stuff gets tossed out - more room for souveniers to take home.

Keep reading the boards - it is the best way to get answers. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you all so much for your help!! It can be overwhelming at times. I have learned so much from reading all your posts. I will try to remember to keep the luggage weight down....okay I said I will try but no promises! I also have a problem with packing too much. lol As Tracy put it so well, I am sure we will see it "all".

Thank you again for your help. If you think of any additional tips, please pass them along for the "clueless" newbies as myself.

It looks like most of your questions have been answered, but I'll weigh in on the spa issue. As you may have already learned, it can be VERY expensive, and since it will be a therapist you've never used before, it's not always the greatest massage you've ever had. That sounds like two pretty good reasons not to go, but . . . I almost always do!! :D

When I get a massage in 'real life,' the wonderful relaxed feeling lasts for about 10 minutes. Then I have to deal with traffic, making dinner, folding the laundry, etc. etc. etc. There's nothing quite like just rolling off the table, gliding back to my cabin and relaxing on the balcony. Aaaaaah. :D As cmsjab pointed out, there are reduced prices on port days, and there are various specials as the cruise continues. I've also found that the Frangipani scalp treatment is incredibly relaxing, and a lot less expensive than a massage.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your first cruise -- it only happens once! :)

Relative to the safes - if your ship has the type of safe that uses a card, you can use any card with a stripe EXCEPT your seapass card to program it. You don't use your seapass card because that would give ship's staff access to your safe.

Look for the spa specials. I believe they have them every day. I took advantage of the $89 25 minute facial and 25 minute massage. It was incredibly relaxing and I actually fell asleep, something which I never do here. The price was good--but if I was having that at home it would be less. But well worth it and as a previous poster said, you don't have to then get into your car and get into traffic. You have to book things pretty early though, so you should pay a visit on the first day.

Just be warned, at least in my experience, they realllllly want to sell you the stuff they use. After my treatment, I was running al ittle late for dinner but I did have to listen to her shpiel about what she used on me and she did try to sell it to me. I told her I had to think about it and would get back. She was nice but did seem a little disappointed. Before my treatment I was sitting in a waiting area where they were doing a makeup demonsration. At the end she did a little mini-makeup application on each person and then did a plug for everyone buying the makeup--which was nothign special and overpriced, imho. As I said, I wouldn't say she was pushy but definitely you can see its part of their job. Just want you to be prepared. Otherwise,

Enjoy

All questions have been answered but I just wanted to say you selected a GREAT ship for your first cruise. My first was on Voyager and second on Navigator. I love these class of ships. I thought I would never cruise anything else. But since Galveston now has a port, I tried the small Carnival Ecstacy and in November I'll be on the Grand Princess. Ecstacy was a different class ship than VOS and NOS but I still had a great time. Totally different. I just kept looking for more and tremendously missed the royal promenade and the oatmeal raisin cookies. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.

Enjoy, enjoy. 2007 I'm back to a RCCL cruise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpcruiser

Darlin, you see it ALL! (sometimes, unfortunately, quite literally! LOL)

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! There's goes my breakfast.....:eek: :eek:

If you will eat in the Windjammer for breakfast & lunch and only go to the dining room for dinner, do you still tip the full amount? If so, why since they only worked 1/3 as hard

Actually, the recommended amount is specifically for dinner. Many (if not most) passengers eat their breakfast and lunch somewhere else, and even if you do eat in the dining room, it's open seating so you won't have your own specific waiters like you do at dinner. So in other words: yes, you still tip the full amount. :)

I'm guessing from your question that you might think it seems like a lot for just one meal . . . if that's the case, I strongly suspect you will change your mind once you see what level of service they provide, and the insanely long hours they work. We typically wind up tipping well over the suggested amount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpcruiser

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! There's goes my breakfast.....:eek: :eek:

You are too funny and I absolutely agree!

If you will eat in the Windjammer for breakfast & lunch and only go to the dining room for dinner, do you still tip the full amount? If so, why since they only worked 1/3 as hard

If your dining room waiter, head waiter or assistant waiter is not working in the dining room for breakfast or lunch, they will be working in Windjammer. You'll undoubtedly run into them at a different meal in Windjammer ... so in a roundabout way they are still serving you even if you're not at your assigned table. So yes, it is recommended that you still tip the full amount ...

When you think about it, you'd spend way more than that on tips if you were eating at a regular restaurant three times a day. :)

Everyone I have encountered tips a couple of bucks directly to the person who delivers any room service. From what I understand, those folks do not work in the dining room or Windjammer. I always keep some small bills around just for that purpose.

I worked as a waitress in a French service restaurant for a couple of years, so I tend to be generous but also have high expectations. My husband is ... let's say "frugal" ... and he has super high expectations. He has always tipped the full amount - and even thrown in a few extra bucks in some cases. So the level of service generally warrants at least the full gratuity.

If your dining room waiter, head waiter or assistant waiter is not working in the dining room for breakfast or lunch, they will be working in Windjammer. You'll undoubtedly run into them at a different meal in Windjammer ... so in a roundabout way they are still serving you even if you're not at your assigned table. So yes, it is recommended that you still tip the full amount ...

When you think about it, you'd spend way more than that on tips if you were eating at a regular restaurant three times a day. :)

Everyone I have encountered tips a couple of bucks directly to the person who delivers any room service. From what I understand, those folks do not work in the dining room or Windjammer. I always keep some small bills around just for that purpose.

I worked as a waitress in a French service restaurant for a couple of years, so I tend to be generous but also have high expectations. My husband is ... let's say "frugal" ... and he has super high expectations. He has always tipped the full amount - and even thrown in a few extra bucks in some cases. So the level of service generally warrants at least the full gratuity.

I haven't been on a cruise yet but I can tell by the way everyone talks that these employees work very hard and I agree with tipping the entire amount as well. We always tip well when we go out and will on the ship as well. Of course if the service would not be up to par then we would have to rethink it but it sounds like most of the service is very good. We plan on tipping additional tips throughout our cruise when deserved.

Archived