beach snorkeling vs boat??

tobsterz

Can anyone tell me whether there is a significant different in the snorkeling you will find right off the shore (ex. eden rock), vs the snorkeling you'd find if you booked an excursion and went out on a boat? Like the idea of being able to do it on my own, but don't want to miss out on some of the best snorkeling in the caribbean!! thanks!!!

Can anyone tell me whether there is a significant different in the snorkeling you will find right off the shore (ex. eden rock), vs the snorkeling you'd find if you booked an excursion and went out on a boat? Like the idea of being able to do it on my own, but don't want to miss out on some of the best snorkeling in the caribbean!! thanks!!!

Good question! I would like to know the same? How and where is snorkeling from shore good in GC? Thanks!

We just went to Eden Rock at the suggestion of others on this board. See my post and their answers, eden rock questions on this same board. It was awesome, some of the best snorkling I have ever done. Tons of fish, very large tarpons. 10 min max walk from the pier, 16.00 pp for equipment, and I think 4.00 for a locker. There were people there from both the inspiration and the imagination, although not very crowded at all, and fantastic snorkling. One couple who snorkles alot all over and brought their own equipment said this is one of their favorite places. Very convienient and easy to do.

has anyone done snorkeling from both eden rock and a boat excursion to be able to compare the two? thanks!

Been to Cayman many many times - first trip was about 1984....

topic is boat vs shore

Boat has the advantage of taking you to places not accessable from shore. Down side is the cost.

Shore has the advantage of being 'free' but you are limited to what's near shore.

Eden Rock is a great site. Has the advantage of being very close to the tender piers. Dive boats from other places also will come to Eden Rock. Its location can also be a disadvantage as a zillion cruisers can descend on the site making for quite a crowd.

A general disadvantage to Cayman shore diving/snorkeling is that in the Seven Mile area, the reef is way off shore. WAY off shore. This is boat diving country. A snorkeler from the beach will see sand....

On the other hand, heading south, to Eden Rock and beyond, the shoreline is 'iron shore' and the reefs come right up to the iron shore. Good snorkelinging close in here. But no beach to speak of, and you need to find an entry point. There are many. The farther you go past Eden Rock, the fewer people you will find, and the less 'stomped' the reef. For example you could check out Sunset House, about a mile down the road. Far fewer folks down there....

Comparing dive sites however is very subjective - and very condition dependant too. Visibility is an uncontrollable factor - what critters you see .... ditto.

All I'll say is some of my best u/w photos came from shore dives in the Sunset House vicinity, in depths less than 40 feet ... there is great shore diving to be found in CI. I have vivid memories of Eden Rock too - I remember a cloud of silversides in a swim thru one time. But also, every visit I logged "crowded".

Will a boat take you to a great place not accessable from shore? Maybe. And maybe the'll take you to Eden! And maybe that boat will carry 100 snorkelers meaning no matter where you go...it will be crowded....

So many variables.

When I cruise to CI, I walk to Sunset and do a shore dive/snorkel. If I go on a dive trip to CI, I boat dive every day. If I go on a dive trip to Bonaire I shore dive every day. No need for a boat there.

it just depends....

We've done both boat and beach snorkel's at Grand Cayman, Curacao, St Thomas, Cozumel, and enjoyed a good variety of fish on each trip. I prefer shore snorkeling when possible, as it is not as big a commitment of time/money as a boat snorkel. But, if I'm in a port which has great boat snorkeling, I'll do that.

Becki

Archived