TRavelers check/card question?

stephanie76

I was looking into getting an American Express travelers card for my cruise. We will not be using credit cards on the cruise. I want to pay up front (cash). Given that Carnival puts a hold on cards, would it be best to use travelers checks instead of the card.? Has anyone had issues with travelers checks?

If you read the fine print, AmX Traveler's Cards can not be used for onboard purchases.

I didn't read them and found out onboard. The traveler's cards were only good in the ATM machine, and can not be used to secure your Sail & Sign account.

Use the traveler's checks!

Bubbles, I checked out your elation pics. I am dying for an eastern carribean cruise. We have done western 4 times already. I would say its time. Oh yeah, thanks for the quick reply and tell your daughter he looked pretty gorgeous to me :)

Bubbles, I checked out your elation pics. I am dying for an eastern carribean cruise. We have done western 4 times already. I would say its time. Oh yeah, thanks for the quick reply and tell your daughter he looked pretty gorgeous to me :)[/quote LOL!!:p Will tell her!

I used AAA Travelers checks in Barbados and St Thomas last week (and yes I know St Thos is a US territory). I have never been in a port (3 cruises) where they wouldn't accept them.

Anyway, I dont like to have a lot of cash on me so I just put the travelers checks in the safe in my cabin and when I start to run low on cash I go to the pursers desk and cash one. I also carry one with me into ports in case I see something I just HAVE to have and don't have enough cash. If you loose your wallet or it gets stolen, they wont get much cash, the travelers checks will be replaced within 24 hours, and whoever ends up with the old ones can't use them anyway. In MY opinion, they are the safest way to carry your money while traveling.

They were not referring to traveler's checks, but the debit like card that AmEx is hawking lately as an alternative to traveler's checks.

Cheers,

Peter

Well..if you read her entire post..given that she asks has anyone had issues with and would it be best to use travelers checks .... I assumed she wanted info on travelers checks so thats what I gave her. My experience with travelers checks.

Never had any problems using Amex Travelers Cheques however, the one concern I did have was when I made a purchase in Cozumel the vendor wanted my name, address, phone number and DOB printed on the back. I wasn’t very comfortable doing that but did it anyway because I needed some cash.

Jeleja, your answer was right on the mark and thank you for the great info! I too have AAA and I have always had an issue leaving all that $$$$ in my safe. We will do this in September. :)

You cannot use the AMEX travellers cards on ship. They do not have your name imprinted, therefore ANY prepay cards like that are useless.

We use the checks...just cash at the pursers desk when we need cash...lock the rest away in the safe. At the end, we put the remaining cash on the S&S and walk away with no bill.

The checks are EASY...don't let anyone tell you it's a hassle. Better than paying $5 a transaction at the ship ATM and running out of cash in the thing about half way through.

Have fun!

Well..if you read her entire post..given that she asks has anyone had issues with and would it be best to use travelers checks .... I assumed she wanted info on travelers checks so thats what I gave her. My experience with travelers checks.

Please pardon me, I didn't see the cheques part of it. :o

Cheers,

Peter

When I checked in I gave them my credit card but on the last night I went to the pursers desk and paid the balance off with my TC no problem at all in fact I paid a little extra and the next morning I got a small refund to bring my balance back to zero in my mailbox along with my statement.

Thank you you gave me exactly what I wanted. Everyone has. I will go with the checks definately. It sounds like the cards are worthless. Thanks so much. Helped alot. One less thing to consider.

Archived