Low Carb Menu

lizf

I've done 3 searches here using the search feature here on HAL board. Can't find reference to anyone who actually specified ahead of time of the cruise that they wanted the Low Carb Diet and received the special menus from which to order dinner items. I know there is one item on the regular menu in the dining room each evening that is low carb, but I have heard you can specify ahead of time and receive just the low carb menus.

I would like to know what the choices ran and about how many items were offered each evening. For instance was there more than one entree offered for a meal? Was this different from the regular menu in the dining room? I tried on the last cruise for substitutions of individual items, i.e., please leave off the potatoes, or more vegetables. The poor waiters were just too busy and I didn't want to make them feel badly so I let it go finally. This next trip I really don't want to have the potatoes and rice, etc put on my plate. Does anyone have any information on this menu? I would really appreciate it if you would share your experience on HAL ships.

No expert here, but I'm sure you can call Ship Services to let them know about your special diet and find out how they can accommodate it. On the regular menu, they have low or no added sugar desserts, and they sometimes had a "healthy fare" selection, but I don't recall any entree offerings being specifically billed as low-carb.

You can easily order your dinner from the regular dinner and keep it low carb. There are so many menu choices that you do not have to have bread, pasta, potato etc if you do not wish.

I don't have any problem limiting my choices from the same menu everyone orders from. I stick with good carbs more than not having any carbs.

I find it easy to eat healthy on the ships.

I don't think HAL offers a specific low carb menu, but does offer some low carb options in desserts and even bread or rolls. Sailed on one of the Westerdam's first Carribbean cruises in Dec. 04. Mostly new and busy waiters, but they didn't seem to have any trouble with requests to leave off potatoes/pastas etc. and substitute lower carb vegetables. Also brought extra meat and seafood servings without my asking. With so many choices, it was actually easier than eating in most restaurants.

I do wish HAL made available carb counts for their low carb, sugar free items, but after losing 130 lbs on low carb diet, maintained for 5 years, I can pretty well gauge. In any case I didn't gain any weight on the cruise.

A pocket-size carb counter is handy for checking foods that you don't usually encounter at home.

Have a good time and good meals.

Congratulations, Gooselace. What an accomplishment. I would imagine at this point you probably have a very good idea of how many carbs are in just about most foods you encounter.

I don't remember anything about a low carb menu either.

There are sugar free desserts, but they are not necessarily low carb.

Gooselace must have lucked out, because whenever I asked for a substitue, I got both. No big deal to me. I just didn't eat it.

I believe many of these entrees are already put together and the waiter just picks them up. When asking for a substitute they just add it and it is served on a different plate.

They do have a veggie menu that might have some low carb entrees.

Thanks all. I thought I remembered someone on this board saying they had ordered the low carb and they were given the menu the night before to make their selection(s) from. It was excellent as they said and I couldn't find it on my searches.

I do appreciate all of your opinions and the carb counter really sounds like something someone would need for this. I guess I'll just have to see. Its not life or death, just don't want to always cram it on since I don't always have the will power to leave those fluffy mashed potatoes and gravy on the plate.

I am currently doing WW to lose 38 pounds. (Down 10.2 in 5 weeks, yippee).

Remember to eat 5 fruits and vegetables per day. Only one serving of potatoes, rice or pasta in any day....no gravy at all. Brown rice or whole wheat are always better choices for breads or pasta. Most fish is actually healthy and if you are doing the WW Core plan shellfish is at all you can eat.

Try to get in at least 6 8oz. glasses of water per day (more if exercising or out doing excursions in the heat).

Choose healthy oils, canola, olive oil, etc. I plan on taking some Land of Lakes Canola Butter with me in December (must be kept refrigerated).

I am carb addicted so it is the breads, cookies and cakes that I have to stay away from, so choosing a sherbert or a push pop are much better choices for me.

I plan on being healthy but enjoying my trip with at least a couple of desserts....but on those days doing some good workouts in HAL's great gym and spa areas.

Good Luck and Healthy Eating,

Linda

LHC....call it WW or call it South Beach or even somewhat Mediterranean. What you describe is healthy eating. No one needs a specialized menu in order to eat the way you suggest. It is easily done on HAL ships directly from their breakfast, lunch and dinner menus and certainly in Lido.

Will power?? That you have to supply for yourself. No one can 'provide' you with will power except you. ;) Just 'gotta' resist those temptations if you truly don't want to eat cheesecake and mashed potatoes. Some folks say....Ah gee, it's vacation. That is entirely their choice. Either way, we make our own choices.

i am type 2 diabetic controlled by diet and exercise - and never had a problem on Westerdam

just select carefully off regular menu - and you should be fine -

and the Lido for breakfast and lunch had more than ample selections for low carb

i found food to be very good

leaving on july 12 baltic trip - am psyched

Archived