What to Buy While on the Islands?

Michelle!

Okay, so here is the dumb question of the day...what is the one thing I should buy while I am travelling to Hawaii? I know chocolate mac nuts for the office. But, are pearls a good buy there?

Coconut postcards aside, anything whimsical that I must have?

Night all!

Forget the chocolate. Bring home some of the Kona coffee glazed mac nuts.

Everyone loved them, and you can't buy them back home.

And Crazy Shirts. We heard about them on this site, and ended up buying seven of them.

Nancy

Kona coffee glazed mac nuts - sounds way better than the chocolates you can buy here!

I will also have a rental car - so Costco is a good bet? Can you get other 'only on the Islands' goods at Costco.

The crazy shirts actually look pretty cool too - thanks everyone!

Costco is a very cheap place to obtain many Hawaii souvenirs. You can also pick up Hawaiian reading books for small kids as well as recipe books, nature guides, and Hawaiian music CDs at Costco. Good place for various options if you have a car to get there.

Spleen

Thanks Spleen. I'm looking forward to hunting down the Costco. I have cut back on excess shopping while on vacations, but it is always nice to take a little piece of a special place home with you!

I really enjoyed bring home coffee from Jamaica and Puerto Rico. Brewing it everyday or on special days was a great reminder of my trip. I love Kona coffee, so hopefully I will choose the right one!

Remember that 100% Kona may be hard to find - Kona blends are very common. Check the bag carefully. If it seems too cheap, beware. Kona is similar to Blue Mountain - a very smooth mild coffee so if that type of coffee suits you, then you'll probably really like Kona.

Spleen

Check, check and check. Thanks very much!!!

Out of all the posts I have seen/read on cruise critic so far, the Hawaii board is the friendliest and most helpful!

Thank you for all of you solid advice, I know this forum will enhance my time on the Islands soooo much.

I am surprised that pineapples were not mentioned as something to buy on the Islands. Last time in Hawaii almost everyone on the plane had a case of pineapples to bring home. They were delicious and everyone at home loved getting one. If you buy at the airport they put an agriculture seal on them and load them right onto the plane. I wouldn't buy them before the airport. Judy

I would also caution about local goods...if you flip them over, you might find "made in china" so if you want something truely local, check it out completely.

Everyone mentions food and shirts...but is there something you collect? We collect instruments of the world. So of course, we would gravatate to that. I also like the koa wood...its beautiful and very lightweight. A wood trinket box, salad bowls, trivets, almost anything imaginable with wood...

My point is that food gets eaten and novelty items tend to collect dust after a while, so I like to buy something that will become part of our daily lives.

You asked about pearls...the cultured pearl stands are everywhere where you pick a shell and they harvest the pearl before you...the pearl themselves are inexpensive enough, but then youre stuck with a pearl unless you are willing to pay for a setting. And if you want pearl earrings, just buy a pair because you will never get a matched pair by choosing two shells. But I will tell you, my favorite necklace is made of pearls my mother and I got on vacation (Florida) when I was a child and then had set when I was 16.

You wont have a shortage of terrific things to shop for here for sure! Have a great time!

Susan

Hi Susan,

Thank you. I was interested in the pearls. My best friend gave me one of those pearls out of the shell, that she cracked open with an Aloha! This made me wonder if it really was a good deal or not on the Islands in general. I love it, it has a whales tale (small) with the pearl in the centre.

My biggest regret was not buying a gorgeous opal ring in Mexico, crafted by an artisan - something to treasure - and pass on. I was hoping for something like that from Hawaii.

I will keep my eye out for something practical, biggest reason I do not go overboard with the shopping on vacations anymore is the fact that it generally collects dust and doesn't go with anything else that I own! Exactly as you said Susan!

Coffee and pineapple, hmmm, I'll have to see about bringing fresh pineapple to Canada. Nothing would be better that sweet, lucsious fruit. Yum.

Michelle, I would say then that if you want something to treasure, be open minded and if you see something that REALLY tugs at you, just get it.

I was in Ireland once and saw the most gorgeous mo-hair blanket. I had to have it but didnt want to spend the money. I thought about that blanket for 8 years. When I went back, it was the first thing I looked for.

If youre still thinking about that Opal, than keep that in mind when you find a pendant or earrings that you love here...and grab it! ;)

If you really want something truely Hawaiian, splurge and buy some of the jewelry made in Ni'ihau from local shells. They are gorgeous, you can get earrings, necklaces or full shell leis ($$$$). I have a pair of earrings I got in 1991 that I treasure (and which have just about doubled in value).

http://starbulletin.com/2004/05/17/features/story1.html

Here are some examples:

http://www.hawaiianjewelrybox.com/niihaushells.html

http://www.macusi.com/

There is a wonderful authentic ukelele storee at Aloha Tower mall if you are into fine instruments. No junk there.

Thanks Guys!

~Note to Self~

Pearls off list - not native to the area

Add shells to list - they look absolutely stunning!

PS. My colleague is going to Oahu in one week, and I have asked her to pick up the Kona coffee glazed mac nuts - I thought I would get a taste of the Islands before I go - I can't wait, I start drooling everytime I think about them!!! Thanks again.

HI Michelle

I'm recently back from the PoA sailing to Hawaii - wish I devoted more time to shopping; not in the ports, but the smaller towns we passed thru where I noticed small shops or roadside stands with native made items.

One item I did pick up was a shell & beaded belt for my daughter for $5, at a roadside stand on the road to Hana - I should have bought the other 7 or so that were left,as gifts, as it really is a work of art for so little money. There were also paintings sold here by a local artist (it's the second stand, on left from Paia, 1st larger stand is more commercialized & overpriced)

At the Dole Plantation on Oahu,near the pineapple garden,there were vendors selling Native crafts. I can't confirm they were actually locally made but there was an obvious difference in material, quality & price compared to what we saw in International Marketplace where we browsed but only bought T-shirts. The colorful blown glass pendants were gorgeous as was the hand made paper notebooks and some wood boxes and other trinkets. We DID buy some shell Christmas ornaments for ourselves and family because they were much nicer than ones we saw elsewhere.

I DIDN'T appreciate the hard sell from the "pick your own pearl" vendor near the gift shop - she was directing her pitch at my 11 year old daughter even after she heard me tell her twice that a purchase wasn't going to happen.

In Kailua, next to Long Drugs and across from the Thrift Store, there was an art gallery with numerous beautiful paintings, jewelry and craft items - high prices but probably a good bet for authentic and one of a kind Hawaiian pieces.

In Maui, the port terminal was full of vendors and we did buy a few items - turns out we saw same pieces (like leis) for more money in other places so grab something if you like it.

In Kauai, we stopped in a town somewhere between Waimea and Poipu that had Red Dirt shirts and sarongs much cheaper than near ports. Also many choices for handmade items in most shops; usually inexpensive jewelry. Again, we had a snorkel tour booked and so not enough time to browse thoroughly.

My advise would be to allow time in your scenic drives to stop in small town venues in order to browse the local offerings; smaller towns seem to yield more crafty choices and larger towns may have that precious piece of jewelery that you'll cherish years to come. If nothing else, you'll enjoy the drive and the browsing! : )

Tina

If you find a place that sells Reyn Spooner shirts for under $10, you should let ME know. :) I do like Reyn but they're a little pricey. Other "authentic" aloha shirts are Kahala, Ono brands. Cheaper than Reyn, that's for sure. There is a Reyn factory outlet in downtown - don't remember exactly where it is though.

Oh wait ... a quick Google search turned it up:

Downtown Rack

125 Merchant Street

Honolulu, HI 96813

Ph: (808) 524-1885

Open: 9:30am-4pm Mon-Friday

Never been there though so no idea about prices or selection.

I actually prefer Tommy Bahama shirts these days ...

Spleen

If you have a car and can get to a major town on any of the islands, stop into a fabric store like Fabric Mart (or even the fabric dept. in WalMart)....and you will be amazed at the aisles and aisles of Hawaiian prints. There are many that are only $1.99/yd. Pick several of your favorites and get a yard or two of each. Bring them home, and you will find many uses for the fabric. A red and white print would look great wrapped around a wine bottle with a big green bow...perfect for taking to a holiday party...and a great way to remember your vacation when it is long over!! You don't have to sew.....that's what pinking shears are for!! You can use the fabric to cover a table for a party.....the wackier the print....the more fun! Fabric is easy to pack also....line the bottom of your suitcase with it....it won't break....and you could even use it to wrap some of your other souveniers. Have fun and get creative!

Oh wait ... a quick Google search turned it up:

Downtown Rack

125 Merchant Street

Honolulu, HI 96813

Ph: (808) 524-1885

Open: 9:30am-4pm Mon-Friday

Never been there though so no idea about prices or selection.

I actually prefer Tommy Bahama shirts these days ...

Spleen

Tnx very much. I'll check it out, and report back in a couple of weeks.

One thing I purchased on our recent trip on the Wind to Hawaii were necklaces carved from mother of pearl. Most were flower designs like hibiscus and plumerias. They were on black cords. My daughters LOVED them. I think they have worn them nearly every day since our return. A great buy at the dock in Hilo for $5 - $8 each.

Archived