Star Flyer/Clipper Owner's Cabin

Neuhoftraveler

We're considering the owner's cabin on one or the other of these ships for a Greek Islands cruise. Can anyone opine on how much roomier or more comfortable these are than the Class 1 or 2 cabins, whether there are disadvantages unique to those cabins, and whether the benefit is worth the cost?

Any and all observations, by those who occupied those cabins or simply saw or heard about them, would be welcomed.

We were on the Flyer last year in the Owner’s cabin and on the Clipper this year in cabin 506, Cat. 1, we loved the cat.1, not too impressed with the Owner’s cabin. We found it too be too dark. Because of the location of the cabin (stern) the portholes are very deep set, you really have to lean “into” the porthole to see what’s going on outside, whenever we were in the cabin, day or night, we had to keep the lights on. The bed is on some kind of raised step which can make for some very tricky trips (!!) to the bathroom during the night. Also, because of the location of the cabin, you are directly under the stern pool and you can hear the deck chairs been moved up top, not too bad but sometimes noisy! The bathroom has a whirpool tub but only a hand held shower, very inconvenient, not too many shelves for toiletries. The seating area in the cabin is very nice, closet space is very good, generally speaking to us it was not worth the extra money.

This year we were on the Clipper in cabin 506, which opens directly on the Main deck. We loved the location (very convenient to run down from the sun deck and grab whatever we had forgotten), spacious, good closet and drawer space, the bathroom has a tub WITH shower, better shelving in the bathroom then the Owner’s cabin. We were concerned about privacy since people walk on the deck outside the cabin, but it was absolutely no problem, the window had some kind of metallic shade that allows you to look outside but no one can see inside . The cabin is smaller than the owners but more than many times when we were just puttering around, we would open the door and almost have the feel of having our own private balcony! The only drawback was that the cabin is directly underneath some of the winches on the Sun deck, so whenever the sails needed to go up or down or being adjusted in some way we would hear the noise generated by the winches! We got used to it, it didn’t bother us.

I guess there is no perfect cabin, each has its drawbacks but for us the Cat.1 was far superior then the Owner’s. I hope I have answered you question, let me know if I can help any further.

Good luck, we loved the Flyer and Clipper, cannot wait to go back, no matter which cabin....By the way, if you are in the Owner's cabin or a cat. 1 cabin, you'll be invited to the Captain's table for the "formal" dinner (formal on the Clipper ships is a relative term, lol)

We didn't get a chance to see the Owner's Cabin because the owner's wife (Mrs. Kraft) and her daughter were on board our cruise in Dec '05 and using the cabin all week. They were VERY nice and unassuming during the entire trip.

Archived