Thistle Victoria Hotel?

I stayed there two years ago before a cruise. I loved the location and could hop a bus to anywhere right outside the door. The Gatwick Express train stops a few levels below the hotel and you get a porter to bring your luggage on a cart up to the hotel. It is called Thistle Victoria because it is the Victoria train station.

A few cautions: I had made the reservation months ahead, confirmed as the date grew closer, got to the hotel jet-lagged, and no reservation. So I'm standing there while the front office does an excellent impression of "Duh!"

The rooms are small and I didn't like the first room, but the second one which overlooked the bus station was like watching a movie as the Tube empties out and the doubledeckers come and go. There are rooms overlooking the park but I liked the human dynamics of the buses at all hours. There are also shops in the hotel which took me a day to realize, so you won't starve.

My only negative was the assinity of not having a reservation and therefore taking almost an hour to get a room. Otherwise, it's a quirky old Victorian hotel. If you need lush or posh, or an attentive staff, try another hotel. At Thistle Victoria, there will be one porter, one front desk girl, and one manager plus slow room service. But, as I said, I enjoyed this hotel for the price and the location.

Ruby

Thanks for the information. I am planning a cruise July/07 from Southampton on the Sea Princess and spending 3 days after in London.

I found http://www.autoeurope.ca and Thistle Victoria is listed. I can pay for the hotel in Canadian dollars which will save $. As today's rate of exchange is 1 pound = $1.99 Canadian.

We will be flying out of Gatwick so Victoria station would be handy. We will be using National Express from Southampton and I believe it goes to Victoria station, also.

All things considered, I would recommend Thistle Victoria to you. Especially since you'll be there after a cruise. My problem was being so jet-lagged from Dallas then to be told I didn't exist as a reservation was a bit offputting. It was a challenge to crank up my weary brain to resolve the issue.

There is a buffet breakfast served in the dining room which was quite good and a broad and tasty variety of offerings.

The fact that the hotel sits atop Victoria Station is a huge plus for me. Direct access straightaway from Gatwick was the best. Once you get to your room, all is calm and all is bright. And they were quick to change me from one room to another more acceptable one.

It's like visiting your elderly aunt - a bit fusty, a bit shy on staffing, but clean and a great location.

Ruby

phabric,

It's a minor detail, but the National Express coach (bus) goes to Victoria Coach Station, not Victoria Rail Station. They are about 3 blocks apart, so it only matters if it's raining, or if you're planning to meet someone "at Victoria".

BTW, when Thistle took over and remodelled the hotel, they installed halogen lighting in the bath room--it is very warm in the summer. Also, there is a sign warning you to close the bath room door when taking a shower, as the steam can set off the smoke alarm!

The main reason for staying there is the incredible choice of transportation--tube, rail, local bus, and long-distance coach.

Happy Cruising

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread. I am coming from The Golden Princess in Southampton to Victoria Station. We have a reservation at the Thistle. I only have one night so I thought the location would be excellent. A couple of questions.. once we arrive how do we find the hotel? What is the best way to see the most in such a short time?? Any recommendations for tours? We then have to go to Heathrow. What would you recommend as the easiest way to go?

Thanks for your help.

Princess Golden July 31st

Princess Dawn Alaska

Norwegian Majesty Bermuda

Royal Caribbean Wester Caribbean

American Hawaii Hawaii

Carnival Ecstacy Caribbean

Carnival EAstern Caribbean

As you exit the train and walk into the large, open "forecourt", look to your left for the hallway into the hotel--you will see signs for it. It is attached to the station's "northwest side". With just the one day (and if it's your first time in London), you will probably want to take a bus tour that covers the main sights, with visits to the insides of the places you have researched as being of interest to you. There are many providers, many could be found using Google or http://www.londontown.com Some depart from near the hotel, so you are in a great spot.

You could take the National Express bus to Heathrow--it leaves from Victoria Coach Station, which is 2-3 blocks from the hotel. If you book on their web-site http://www.nationalexpress.com look for "Fun Fares"--I booked a trip from London to Dover for ONE pound!! It's very restricted, but what can you lose? I printed the e-ticket on my computer, so I don't even have to take time to buy the ticket on the day. The other option is to take a cab to Paddington and then the Padington Express--but I think the bus (coach) is much easier for you.

Archived