Wondering about Carnival change?...

Luv4dacruise

Hey all, this is my frist time really posting on the Carnival boards vs. my normal lurking. Having been on RCI, Norwegian and Celebrity in the past few years and being sorely dissapointed with our NCL Dawn cruise last month we have decided to give Carnival another go. We are booked on the Legend Eastern out of NY next May. The reason i say "another go" is that we have been on Carnival in the past, about 20 years ago! I was only 6 at the time, so i dont recall too much, except i remember looking at the ship and thinking it was gonna sink, it was the old Mardi Gras. I realize i have asked a very vague question about what has changed, but even though we have already booked, Mom and Dad still need a bit of convincing in the matter. Mostly about food vs. NCL and the "nickel and diming" to death aspect of NCL as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thx in advance.....:p

I don't see how you can possibly compare a cruise from 20 years ago when you were 6 years old to one today. They don't compare.

Why not just go and see for yourself how things have changed.

I can't remember what I thought about things when I was 6!!

I think you're going on what your parents told you and back in the days of the Mardi Gras there wasn't anything to compare it to except ocean liners and there was no comparison.

Anybody else?.....Not trying to be rude or anything but i am asking a question, which is what CC is for, am i mistaken?....

Yes, but you've got to give people some time to respond. You've only had this out there for 45 minutes.

Can't help you on the NCL comparison, but it seems to me that Carnival is a little less "nickel and dime" than some of the others. Their current fleet of ships is nothing like the old Mardi Gras, so that's a pretty old standard to hold Carnival up to!

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Tell mom and dad the old Carnival which they went on has come and gone. The wild partying is a thing of the past. Though there are still some good partying that still goes on, not the drink till you puke ones. But even those pop up mostly on 3 or 4 day cruises where people just want to unwind and thats on most cruiselines offering the 3 day get away packages.

For the most part the cruise ship is devided into a wide arrangement of age groups. You will find 20 to 30 yr old couples out to have a good time 40 to 50 yr olds with family and the the 50 plus which same to have just as much fun as the younger ones.

Don't beleive everything you hear on the other boards about any cruiselines. They all offer something different and all have their own misfortunes. Go and see for yourself and you will be happy you did.

CCl has some real nice ships out there right now. The Conquest class is real nice and the Spirit class is real easy to navigate around.

On our last cruise to Alaska we never heard any announcements in our cabin till the last day when we were docked in Whittier.And for the most part very little harping for other activities.

AS MY SIGNATURE SAYS

LIFE IS SHORT /TAKE A LONG CRUISE.:D

Have only cruised Carnival, so I can't compare it to other lines, but as far as the "nickel and diming" aspect, rest assured! The food is great, and most of it is included in your cruise fare.

Here's what's included:

Buffet for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Dining room for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Poolside grill, usually from 11 am to 6 pm.

Deli, usually from 11 am to 11 pm.

24 hour room service.

24 hour ice cream.

24 hour pizza.

Extra buffets, which vary by ship ~ Midnight buffet, Late night Mexican buffet, Afternoon Chocolate buffet, were some on our last cruise.

Afternoon tea in the dining room. (I think this is on sea days only)

Coffee, juices, milk, tea, lemonade.

What's not included:

Some ships have an upscale dining choice, which is around $30 per person.

Some ships have a coffee shop which offers pastry, milkshakes, coffee drinks, desserts, for a fee.

Soda pop.

Alcoholic beverages.

On the Miracle, there was sushi available in the evenings, but since I'm not a sushi lover, I don't know if it was included or if you had to pay extra for it.

Someone help me out ~ what have I forgotten?

Luv4, I think you and your parents will enjoy your Carnival cruise. :)

We were on the Legend in the Summer of '04. For our '05 Summer cruise we decided to try something other than Carnival and since the RCCL ship was already booked up we went with the NCL Dawn. No sense telling you how that went, you know first hand. We currently have the Legend booked for September '06. The deli on the Legend is a separate station with real pastrami, corned beef, turkey etc with several selections of bread/rolls not a stainless steel tray with shriveled cold cuts. You'll find the food on the Legend to be far superior in choice and quality then what you had on NCL's Dawn. Good luck!

We were on the Carnivale 13 years ago and it is pretty similar to the Mardi Gras. Our son was married on the Legend 3 years ago, so I can definitely tell you, there is no comparison! The Legend is very nice and I am sure you will enjoy it. We would take Carnival anytime, in fact am looking to book our next cruise for the Mexican Riviera. We have never seen the wild, party animals that everyone talks about, and have seen many nice people enjoying a great cruise. Go without any preconceived notions and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

We also were on Carnival about 20 years ago and said never again. About 2 years ago, our TA convinced us to give them another try. We went on the Legend and loved it. We thought the ship was great and the food was really good.

We've also been on the Dawn, and while we enjoyed the cruise I understand about the nickel and diming and don't think you will find it as much on the Legend. I believe you can play bingo and it wouldn't cost you $45.00 and no one is walking around pushing krackits!

Go with an open mind and let yourself enjoy it. While we've never been on a cruise where we didn't enjoy ourselves we have found that each line has their strengths and weaknesses and we just go with the flow on whichever ship we are sailing. Hey, we're on vacation-what could be so bad!

Here's what's included:

Buffet for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Dining room for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Poolside grill, usually from 11 am to 6 pm.

Deli, usually from 11 am to 11 pm.

24 hour room service.

24 hour ice cream.

24 hour pizza.

Extra buffets, which vary by ship ~ Midnight buffet, Late night Mexican buffet, Afternoon Chocolate buffet, were some on our last cruise.

Afternoon tea in the dining room. (I think this is on sea days only)

Coffee, juices, milk, tea, lemonade. Fruit punch too...I hear it mixes well with rum!

On the Miracle, there was sushi available in the evenings, but since I'm not a sushi lover, I don't know if it was included or if you had to pay extra for it. Sushi is included; no extra charge.

Someone help me out ~ what have I forgotten?

Many Carnival ships also have a seafood venue that offers fish & chips, bouillabaise, etc. Also included; no extra charge.

Is it time for lunch yet?! :D

The sushi bar is open in the evenings, usually a couple of hours before dinner. It is free of charge. I tried some on our cruise last year, it was okay. They also served it as an appetizer during lunch one day in the dining room.

Been on the Legend 2x (out of Port Lauderdale). It's on our short list again for our 2008 cruise (different intinerary than we've sailed before). You'll have a blast! We cruise the first week of March which means fewer children & fewer "spring breakers" travelling by themselves. If you're cruising early May, you may have the same "luck"!

Bon Voyage!

Sha

Since we have been only on one cruise I can hardly be called an seasoned crusier but I do know that we had a blast on our cruise. It was mostly 30-late 40's with only few kids. If you wanted to party you could find one, if you wanted to find a quiet place on the ship other then your cabin no problem at all. We did book our cruise for early March mainly to stay away the spring break crowds.:) :)

I totally understand where you are coming from. My parents took my sibilings and I on a cruise in 1980. I was only 16 years old and a very young, naive 16 year old at that. We sailed on THE LOVE BOAT, the old Pacific Princess out of Long Beach. I remember my parents booking the trip in February of 1980 and we sailed between Christmas and New Years that year. That whole year we saved and scrimped, no birthday presents, no summer vacation trips, nothing. Everything went to that cruise. It must have cost my folks a fortune!

Since that experience, I have learned that EVERYTHING in the cruising industry has changed. In fact, the whole concept of cruising has completely changed. And to this day, my mother (my father has since passed) just does not understand why I love to cruise. From her experiences, she HATES cruising! To me, this is a ridiculous statement because she hasn't been on a cruise ship since that LOVE BOAT experience. But then I have to remind myself that Mom's experience come from the days of transatlantic crossings (of which she counts 7 in her youth/young adult years.) Her experience did not feature a luxury hotels that stops in exotic ports and includes incredible food and entertainment, and most of all, where nearly everything is included in your fare. To my Mother, cruising is a "nickle and dime" experience where they get you for every little thing.

I have learned to just smile, and go anyways!

I say sail on!

I totally understand where you are coming from. My parents took my sibilings and I on a cruise in 1980. I was only 16 years old and a very young, naive 16 year old at that. We sailed on THE LOVE BOAT, the old Pacific Princess out of Long Beach. I remember my parents booking the trip in February of 1980 and we sailed between Christmas and New Years that year. That whole year we saved and scrimped, no birthday presents, no summer vacation trips, nothing. Everything went to that cruise. It must have cost my folks a fortune!

Since that experience, I have learned that EVERYTHING in the cruising industry has changed. In fact, the whole concept of cruising has completely changed. And to this day, my mother (my father has since passed) just does not understand why I love to cruise. From her experiences, she HATES cruising! To me, this is a ridiculous statement because she hasn't been on a cruise ship since that LOVE BOAT experience. But then I have to remind myself that Mom's experience come from the days of transatlantic crossings (of which she counts 7 in her youth/young adult years.) Her experience did not feature a luxury hotels that stops in exotic ports and includes incredible food and entertainment, and most of all, where nearly everything is included in your fare. To my Mother, cruising is a "nickle and dime" experience where they get you for every little thing.

I have learned to just smile, and go anyways!

I say sail on!

Too bad about your mom - any way you could "kidnap her" & take her on a cruise, as your guest? You know she'd thank you for it. (After all you could promise her if she hates it, she has the right to say you are a terrible daughter for the rest of her life!)

Sha

Twenty years ago, I cruised on the Festivale, Carnivale, and Mardi Gras. Thought they were wonderful!

Many things have changed. Tell your mom it will be as different as night and day when she sets foot on a newer Carnival ship.

I have not been nickeled and dimed to death at all. I don't go in for the supper club, coffee/dessert pay bar, as I thoroughly enjoy the regular food venues Carnival offers that are included in the cost of the cruise fare. Also - why pay for specialty coffee when you can get it complimentary with every meal (espresso and cappuccino) in the dining room?

I think your parents will be pleasantly surprised.:)

Too bad about your mom - any way you could "kidnap her" & take her on a cruise, as your guest? You know she'd thank you for it. (After all you could promise her if she hates it, she has the right to say you are a terrible daughter for the rest of her life!)

Sha

Ahhhh thanks Sha! I've seriously thought about it and have concluded it's just not worth my energy, effort or pocketbook! I'll just go cruise without her then come home with a big smile, a lovely tan and really fabulous memories! Besides she already thinks I'm the most terrible daughter she has! :eek: Mothers! So hard to please!

My first Ocean Adventure was at 7 -- on the USMTS Upshur - in the North Atlantic in October -- US kids loved the rolling and tossing -- really miss that on the NEW cruise ships -- been on Legend twice - then Celebrity Spirit

and back on Carnival Triumph on 7/8/06.

Took my MOM on Carnival for her 80th bday and again that same year with DD -- MOM's bags are packed and she is ready to go anytime.

DW and I are 60 and we love CCL - Have been with Baby daughter for her 17th -6 years ago during Spring Break on Paradise and cannot remember any thing untoward

So go forth and have a ball -- we will in a few days.

JLV

Archived