Birth certificate vs. passport????

Noticed the RCI brochure states after 2005 you need a passport, but on-line it states birth certifcate is ok (departing 8/27 FOS/Miami) until 12/06. Only have birth certificate for the all our family, just thought I'd check to be sure.

The brochure was printed before the deadline was extended. If your cruise begins and ends before December 31, 2006, a valid birth certificate will suffice for cruises to Canada, Bermuda, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Noticed the RCI brochure states after 2005 you need a passport, but on-line it states birth certifcate is ok (departing 8/27 FOS/Miami) until 12/06. Only have birth certificate for the all our family, just thought I'd check to be sure.
thanks for your input

You're OK for this year. But once the cruise bug bites you, you are doomed. May as well bite the bullet and get the passports. Pretty soon you will need them to go anywhere.

I agree with Corby.Go ahead and get them now .We were like you thinking about waiting ,but decided to go ahead and get them ,and I'm glad we did. It takes about six weeks to get them ,so I would do it now . Also, if you do see a great last minute cruise deal or international vacation deal that you want to go on, you'll be ready. Passports cost about $100 per person ,and are good for 10 years ,so that averages out to be $10 dollars a year .Not to bad IMO.

they also have passports for kids that are a little cheaper but only good for 5 years.

Even though it hasn't happend yet, there is a lot of talk about needing passports to get into Canada in the near future. But that is currently on hold. What is wrong with a little documentation?

Archived