Why are people so sue happy?

chrly

I remember when those two girls were suing McDonalds for "making them" fat. My sister and I came up with an idea after that. We are going to sue Visa! Because Visa put us in debt. If they didn't "give me" the credit card I wouldn't have used it! Makes sense right? :p

HA!!! This is REALLY good! Wonder if I can sue VISA for enough to actually pay off my card before I die!!!!:p

I just wanted to thank all of the people who responded to this thread...I've learned a lot of information. I agree that most of the lawsuits in today's society are monitarily driven.

HA!!! This is REALLY good! Wonder if I can sue VISA for enough to actually pay off my card before I die!!!!:p

I think hearing my dad give the same "if you pay that minimum every month you will be paying it off forever..." speach counts as pain and suffering!!! :p

I'll ask for that!!! :D

I think hearing my dad give the same "if you pay that minimum every month you will be paying it off forever..." speach counts as pain and suffering!!! :p

I'll ask for that!!! :D

It's a beautiful thing! Pain and suffering! Your dad is a wise man, indeed....

Hello, Citibank?:p

Essentially the suit is b/c they believe the cruise line hampered the investigation so the family could not find out what really happened. If a school kid hides something from his teacher so he/she doesn't find out the truth, what happens? The student will get in trouble, maybe have to stay after school or something. So why when a corp. hides/ covers up something (as alleged here) should there not be a punishment? The only way to teach a corporation, a legal fiction, anything is via monetary penalty.

I feel that the general public's perception of our legal system is so skewed (as insurers & corps like it to be) that as soon as anyone hears anything re a lawsuit they automatically think it's more likely than not to be frivolous.

p.s. good thread, I'm glad to see it has remained civil. Some of these legal threads get heated. Way to go CCers:)

The key word in any legal action against a corporation is trauma. Have you been traumatized by their actions? If so, you have a case. My question is, what exactly constitutes trauma? If you have suffered trauma, shouldn't you go immediately to the nearest emergency room at a hospital for treatment? They are called trauma centers after all. If they are unable to find your lost luggage or get you onto your cancelled shore excursion or tender you into port inspite of 20 foot seas, then you should be suing the hospital for malpractice and not the cruise line who never claimed to be trauma experts in the first place. And shouldn't the cruise lines be able to counter-sue the passenger for pain and suffering? After all, the passenger has now become a real pain in the ass and nothing makes you suffer quite like a pain in the ass. :p

Essentially the suit is b/c they believe the cruise line hampered the investigation so the family could not find out what really happened. If a school kid hides something from his teacher so he/she doesn't find out the truth, what happens? The student will get in trouble, maybe have to stay after school or something. So why when a corp. hides/ covers up something (as alleged here) should there not be a punishment? The only way to teach a corporation, a legal fiction, anything is via monetary penalty.

I feel that the general public's perception of our legal system is so skewed (as insurers & corps like it to be) that as soon as anyone hears anything re a lawsuit they automatically think it's more likely than not to be frivolous.

p.s. good thread, I'm glad to see it has remained civil. Some of these legal threads get heated. Way to go CCers:)

I agree that if I were the family member I too would want to know as much as possible, and I am sure if anything the cruise lines will learn from any mistakes made in this case - that at least is a good thing. But I don't RC did anything intentionally wrong, and were released by the Turkish authorities. The rep for RC on Oprah admitted that they will learn from this as this is not something that happens every day and there were some things that could have been done better. All Mrs. Smith could talk about is how insensitive they were to her. Unfortunately when you have just lost someone, nothing is going to seem good enough. It is a sad situation, but suing the pants of RC is not going to bring Mr. Smith back.

Archived