Would this dress work for Informal Nights?

Bethwte

I hate informal nights, no one ever seems to have the same idea of that they mean! lol...

I'll be on the RCCL Mariner this August, and was wondering if this dress would work for informal nights? Does it look too casual? Also, what can I use as a cover-up if I get cold. A cardigan almost borders on looking vintage costume-ish, so are there any other suggestions? Thanks :)

73388_OR5373.jpg

What a pretty dress! Seems like you could wear that for "smart casual" night even. Then again, I haven't actually been on a cruise, yet, so I don't have much authority on this issue. But if I had that dress I'd wear it every night if I could :).

What a pretty dress! Seems like you could wear that for "smart casual" night even. Then again, I haven't actually been on a cruise, yet, so I don't have much authority on this issue. But if I had that dress I'd wear it every night if I could :).

Aww thanks! It's on sale at www.jcrew.com right now if you're interested :D

I'm pretty sure informal and smart casual are pretty equal in the world of cruising. One line will say informal, while another line will call it smart casual in my experience.

Pretty dress! What is the fabric? A cotton fabric might work better for smart casual (If I understand what that is since I've never sailed a line that uses that term) and a fabric with a bit more sheen (silk, satin, organza layering) would take it into the Informal category, IMO.

For informal, I have a few outfits I rotate between until I find something new I can't live without. One is a beaded 2-piece skirt set in navy, very lightweight synthetic fabric and it is about knee length. Another is a peach dress in a crepe fabric with a heavy lace (I'm sure there is a term for this, it's more like stand-alone embroidery than lace) inset at the neckline and a matching bolero jacket with matching lace-stuff.

To me, Informal is somewhere along the lines of cocktail party attire and I go all out for formal in a full-length gown.

That's a very pretty dress, but it looks more like something for smart casual night, also sometimes called casual night, to me. In the picture it looks like it is cotton, which makes it seem like a sundress. If it's a dressier material, I think you could accessorize it to make it work for informal night. Like the above cruiser, I agree that informal nights are meant to be still quite dressy, cocktail attire being the norm. That said, you can wear the dress without looking out of place as there are all different styles worn on any given night. Some people dress up every night, others never go much beyond church clothes, and some stick with smart casual almost every night.

Archived