Some Lahania Advice please

uktog

We are on the Summit and will be in Lahania from 0700-2300. We would like to do a laua sometime on our cruise, our other option is Honolulu where we dock until 2200. Searches seem to tell me the Old Lahanian is the best though and I have checked availability is OK on line. We also want to see something of Maui that day (perhaps a beach?) but the one thing we will not have is a hire car

What are our options - is there a beach near the tender and how available will taxis be?

Can we get a taxi to the Old Lahania?

Thanks

Ann

Aloha. Old Lahaina Luau is indeed a favorite. I suggest you go ahead and book now because they are usually sold out. Yes, you can easily get a taxi from the tender pier area to OLL. It's only a couple of miles (but not good for walking, especially at night). Taxis aren't as prevalant as in the cities, but are not hard to find.

To see more of Maui than just Lahaina, you have a few options. One is to take the shuttle up to Ka'anapali Beach and/or further north to Kapalua (I think it still goes up there). Both are excellent beaches; Ka'anapali is long and fronts many resorts. In Hawaii, all beaches are public, so no worries there. You will not be able to use any resort facilities (pools, spas, beach cabanas, chairs, etc.) because those are private property and are typically reserved for resort guests who have paid for the privilege. You can certainly go into the resort bars and restaurants, as they are happy to have you spend money there. Kapalua is a small, but beautiful beach fronting only a couple of resorts. It's one of our favorites.

Other options are to take planned excursions or book excursions with private companies on your own. Taking taxis all around the island would not be a smart money move, IMO. For example, to get across the island to Iao Needle/Valley would cost well over $100 r/t. A taxi down to Maalaea or Kihei would be less, but still pricy. If you truly do not want to rent a car (which is pretty much always our SOP and recommendation to others), then ship's or private excursions may be your best bet.

There are no good beaches within walking distance of the tender pier. Several fun water excursions to depart from the Lahaina harbor. Walking around Lahaina is a fun hour or two as well. There are actually a number of historical sights right in town.

Hope this helps.

beachchick

Lahaina is one of my favorite destinations on Earth! If you want a great place to eat off the ship, head to Kimo's. It's on the waterfront - maybe a 10 minute walk from the tender. Be sure to save room for the Hula Pie!

I agree with beachchick, Kapalua is one of my favorite places on the island. The Ritz Carlton is up at Kapalua. It is not a long drive but it is further up the coast than Kaanapali is - and the cannery shuttle doesn't go there. Kaanapali is a very nice beach - lots of hotels/resorts (Hyatt on one end, Sheraton on the other...and about 7 or 8 in between). In the middle of the beach is Whaler's Village. It is a nice shopping area with several restaurant choices as well. There is a trolley that runs between Lahaina and Whaler's Village. It's $1.00 each way. It also stops at the Lahaina Cannery Mall. There is a grocery store and drug store there where you can pick up beverages, etc to take back on the ship. There are also a few jewelery shops, clothing shops, a pretty good Mexican restaurant/bar and a few other local stores. The current schedule has the 1st pick-up downtown Lahaina at 8:45 a.m. - last shuttle leaves Whaler's Village at 6:15 p.m getting back to Lahaina at 6:45 p.m. When you look at the schedule "The Wharf Cinema Center" is the downtown Lahaina trolley stop. Here's the link to the schedule:

http://www.lahainacannery.com/shuttle_schedule

Enjoy your trip!

Beach4me: Mahalo for the heads up on the shuttle. I thought it only went as far as Ka'anapali, but then a couple of people reported it went to Kapalua, so I figured that was cool.

Where we differ is the lunch suggestion (although no one could argue that Kimo's hula pie isn't ono). We like Lahaina Fish Company for lunch or cocktail time. The downstairs casual area right over the water has killer spring rolls, good fresh fish, and excellent salads. There's also Aloha Plate, but of course that's up by OLL, so not really a good suggestion unless someone has a car.

beachchick

beachchick - LFC is a good choice too. But, I LOVE the macadamia encrusted mahi-mahi at Kimo's. And for lunch, I can never decide between the Chinese chicken salad or the vegetable sandwich. The only place that I personally don't really care for (that others rave about) is Longhi's. Never have enjoyed the food there.

To the OP - if you are taking the shuttle to Whaler's Village/Kaanapali Beach, Hula Grille is a good option for lunch. Nice location right on the beach...and good food to boot!

Hey, beachchick, question...I am thinking of booking the Kaanapali Beach Hotel for a week following my Tahiti/Hawaii cruise. Is that a good choice? I normally stay up at Kapalua but am wanting to cut down the budget a bit since the cruise is so expensive. Decided to actually stay on Kaanapali this time. (I used to love staying at the Embassy Suites but since it's gone timeshare, it's very unpredictable...and hasn't gotten any better, imo.)

Thanks for the great responses - I think we will head for the beach by "trolley". I have now booked OLL. Will there be plenty taxis outside when the LAua finishes do you think?

Beach4me: You're not alone; we don't care much for Longhi's either. Fortunately, we have other great choices.

I can't tell you much about the KBH because we haven't stayed there. The pool is nice, but basic. The restaurants are fine; the outside bar is good. There's plenty of room to find a spot to relax in the sun or the shade, by the pool or under a tree or in a cabana on the beach (extra charge for guests). It's on a great part of the beach and convenient to everything--Black Rock or Whaler's Village. (We only know what we do about the hotel because we stay at a sister property and have privileges at KBH. We know nothing about the rooms. I believe they did some renovation some time back, but I don't know what. I think the prices are fairly reasonable, that being a relative term of course.)

beachchick

Archived