Group Cruises

mac4cruise

Whats different on a group cruise from a normal cruise?

Just more people to hang around with that you meet in the Roll Call, what would be my guess, There was a Couple at my Oct. Pride cruise that didn't join or posted on our roll call but did read all the posts. I ran into her while at Randi's Happy horses and she told me she enjoyed reading the post but she and her hubby wanted to spend their time alone.

Fred

Its a shame that people think that booking a cruise along with the group that you'll gotta hang out together.

I have 3 people that did not want to book the group because they thought we all had to do everything together.

Group prices are cheaper-- plus amenities.. but final payment is due 90 days instead of 70.

I have booked within groups just to get the cheaper price and the amenities. We did nothing all week with the group- except the parties.

its fun to see people on a ship you can wave hi to- ask them how thier week is so far..

I agree with the above posters - a group cruise can be as much or as little as you want it to be. You basically are receive a special rate because several cabins are being sold together. Some groups have themes (such as scuba), others are just a bunch of people grouping together to get a bit of a better rate.

I really enjoyed my Carnival group cruise a couple of years ago - met several very nice people through this site and received lots of planning help. We did some excursions together and received group rates because several of us met up online to book them.

This year's group cruise on NCL was different - less pre cruise chatter. Doesn't mean it was less fun, just not quite as fun preparing!

Our group cruises aren't typically cheaper than you could buy from a ta or direct, but we do get great amenities such as a $100 cabin credit, cocktail party, etc. So when you add it all up, yes, it's much better. I do it for the people... but you don't have to do anything with the group, and just book for the amenities if you wish.

I like the idea of "knowing" some people on board the ship to chat with. While on the Valor Vampires we went cave tubing in Belize with Coral Breeze and it turned out most of the people in the tubing group were also with the VV. We had so much fun because we were already acquainted.

There are actually three kinds of group cruises.

1. Those that you arrange yourself with your friends and family.

2. Those that are arranged by Cruise Critic

3. Those that are arranged by a posting where everybody just meets.

We have done both #1 and #2. To be honest, we've had more fun with just our family and friends. Sometimes you meet some great people but other times, you meet people that you'd rather not hang around with. Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that they don't click with you.

In any case, we've always said "We go together as a group. If somebody wants to go with us on an excursion...fine. If not, that's fine too. Most of the time, everybody goes their own way and tells about what happened during the day at dinner that night.

One lady we met on our first cruise still writes once in a while. We met on the boards before our cruise. Another couple we met on our second cruise invited us on another cruise but it was out of California and it was a little too far for us to fly out to. The third person I met was a total opposite in person as to what he appeared on the boards. That one we stayed away from as much as we could.

For those reasons, we'd rather just go with friends and relatives that we already know. It's safer and more fun. Some people really enjoy group cruises with strangers. Just depends on who you talk to.

Absolutely, there is no requirement or sense of obligation to participate in any group activities whatsoever. Period. However, there are some great advantages, including on the whole better pricing, amenities (on board credit and the like) and having the opportunity to connect with a group of people whom you will come to know before you even book (if you choose to).

I was curious about the financials of all of this, so I analyzed our 4/19/07 cruise. I can't post details here, but if you're interested in how this all works out, check out http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=397 in a bit, as I will lay out the analysis in the "Fabulous Freedom" thread!

Archived