getting married in Jamaica-just a few questions

Sugar67

Hi all,

We are getting married in O.R. on November 2nd at 11 am local time. I'm wondering if we would have time to take a taxi to Dunn's River before we have to start getting ready? Our ship docks at 8 am Miami time.

After the wedding we are hoping for pictures in Fern Gully and a bite at Dave's Lobster place so we certainly won't have time after the wedding. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, Sugar!

My first visit to Ocho Rios will be in about month, so I can't really help you with your questions. Just wanted to say congratulations! Your plans sound very romantic! ;)

You many want to just contact a couple of the independent tour operators (people have mentioned that Marva Shaw is really flexible) and ask them if it's possible to book a tour for just your wedding party and go only to the falls and do it quickly!

Best wishes!

Jayne

Hi, Best Wishes on your upcoming marriage. My DH and I were married in

Montego Bay 3 years ago. I believe Jamaica is one hour behind Miami. You

probably will not be able to get off the ship as soon as it docks. Trying to

see Dunn's River pre wedding is very risky. You risk getting hurt, missing

your wedding, or not being able to dress/look the way you want for your

wedding. You will have several documents to sign either before or after the

wedding. If I were you, I would try to move the wedding to an earlier time

and try to see Dunn's River after or have the wedding later. Please, keep

in mind that Jamaican people have their own speed and in my opinion take

their time with everything. I have been to Ocho Rios once and Montego Bay

once. I found this true at both places. To try to see the D R Falls before

the wedding will cause you to be hurried and stressed. Also, how long are

you in port? You will need to be back on the ship 30 minutes prior to the

time posted that you are leaving. Good Luck with your wedding. You may

want to plan another cruise to Ocho Rios at another time.

Happy Sailing...............

You would be cutting it pretty close even with several hours available. Is there a particular reason you want to see Dunn's River Falls? We have been there and they are lovely but the climbling is strenuous and not recommended for your wedding morning IMHO! We have just returned from a return trip to Jamaica on the Mariner. This time, instead of seeing DRF, Marva Shaw (who truly is marvelous and can be found at knowjamaica.com) arranged for a private tour of the Enchanted Garden resort. The hotel is closed now but one may tour the grounds. The resort was built around a beautiful waterfall similar to DRF but is a bit more meandering (not straight down like DRF) and just gorgeous. Marva probably could take you there and back to the ship in time for your wedding prep. The guide could take lots of pictures for you in front of the falls.

Best wishes!

No, no no.. yikes .. do NOT risk messin' up anything with your wedding by trying to do an independent excursion ahead of time, esp one like the Falls.. I could not agree with the above poster more.. it's your wedding day.... save the falls and savor the morning!

Oops I should have been a little more specific. Never in my wildest dreams would I even consider climbing those falls. Knowing my luck, I would leave there with some sort of injury. We had hoped just to drive to the falls, take a look around, a few pictures and then head off back to the ship to get ready.

It is only the 2 of us at the wedding so we don't have any extra preparations for guests etc. I guess I'll have to rethink this one :rolleyes:

Glad I asked here, thanks for the input

k Marva Shaw is awesome! She just called me to talk about what we should do on our wedding day before and after the wedding. I told her that since she knew Jamaica better than we did, that she could just take us touring. She suggested a waterfall somewhere other than Dunn's River (sorry I didnt understand what she called it-my connection wasnt the greatest) :( . With all her "Jamaican mons" and my "Canadian Eh's" thrown in there it sure was a cultural exchange lol. I think we are going to spend the majority of the day with her, oh ya with a short break in there to exchange some wedding vows :D . Thanks for helping me find her

I am so excited for you! Marva is so sweet - and knowing that it is your wedding day, wow, she'll probably go out of her way to make it special! She is a Jamaican jewel.

Congratulations all around!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived