Best Excursion In Kailua Kona

Nerina

Hi all,

We will be visiting this area next April/May w/RCL. We have plans for Hilo but don't know what to visit in Kona. Can some of you veterans give us some advise.

Past & Present Cruises:

2003 -Serenade

2004 - Voyager

2005 - Jewel

2006 - Explorer 2006 - Explorer

2007 - Radiance

Pam

s.gif

s.gif

You need to give us some idea of what you like to do. Kona has snorkling, coffee farms, shopping, beaches, mountains, etc. I can tell you what I would do with 1 day in Kona but it might not be what you would do.

We are into photography. Like gardens, waterfalls, beautiful seascapes, etc. Anything you can suggest? Should we rent a car? If so, can we pick it up\drop off near the pier? Or does the rental cars provide a shuttle of some sort back & forth to the ship?

Thanks for all suggestions :) .....

Pam

There is a car rental place at the hotel (King Kamehameha) across from the tender pier. It is the only car rental "at" the pier. All others shuttle you up to the airport. IMO, it's well worth the extra cost to rent at the hotel location. This is one of the few ports where the airport is not pretty close to the pier. It's probably 1/2 to the airport (not counting commute and other traffic "issues"), so I would not ever quibble over spending an extra $20+ to save that much time out of my one Kona day.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

Thanks for the great tip! Do you happen to know which car rental co it is? Should we book it before we arrive or is it ok to obtain the car when we arrive? We are leaning towards the car rental for the day & heading out to find that perfect Hawaiian pix :)

Sorry for all the ?'s but this is our first cruise to Hawaii & we are very excited.....

Pam

Yes, it is Dollar in King Kamehameha, but you must have reservations.

It is just a small parking area and no extra cars except those that are reserved in advance.

If you like photo's, drive to:Pu'uhonua Park, south of Kona.

http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

Beaufitul location ar a small sandy beach, filled with hawaiian history. Close that this is the old painted church and enroute you can taste free Kona coffee.

Archived