Did NCL make a big mistake using the NCLA brand

shoreguy

It seems as I read thru this thread that the NCLA ships aren't up to par as compared to the NCL ships. And, since the NCL name is tied to the NCLA ships, it is bringing the NCL name down.

Is it true that the NCLA ships don't have their act together?

Hello Jam810, it's me again.

To summarize, yes your reading of this thread did say that NCLA ships aren't up to par.

Anyone would read the same thing from this thread, it's just that the vast majority of strong opinions you read came from people who haven't actually been on NCLA. That's pretty funny, but it's also sad, because it shows how misinformative this forum can be. I wrote this response because i saw that most readers would be misled as you were.

A casual reader would have naturally assumed they were witnessing banter here between a group of those who had experienced firsthand the subject they were talking about.

The problem would have been averted by a very few simple words from each of the writers disclaiming that their perception was from what they had read or heard. Failing to do so is an honest mistake, but misleading to the reader all the same. Could simply say, "I haven't been on NCLA, but my reading of several reviews here is that..." or, "I haven't been on NCLA, but from what I gather from a friend..."

It's a modest, ordinary suggestion that would improve the quality of information here. In most arenas people disclaim their perspective as a matter of course, to help others assess and weigh what is written.

But here, even experienced posters of this forum feel no obligation to do this.

Even when the idea is thrust before them:

1) They say they never claimed to have been on the ships, and the fact that readers would naturally infer from the strong opinions that they HAD been -- well that's their problem. They're not skewing perceptions needlessly, but if they are it isn't their fault it is the readers...

2) They Ask why I think discussion of NCLA should be restricted to those who have been on it. I don't think that, I just want people to make clear if they have actually been on the ship when they post strong opinions or advise about it.

3) They bizarrely insist that this discussion has nothing to do with a quality assessment of NCLA, so it doesn't matter whether people have been on the ships when commenting on it.

Globalizer says he hasn't made any assessment of NCLA's service quality, right after having just said "NCLA hasn't worked well, and so both brands have been dragged down." How can that mean anything other than "NCLA cruise experience sucks", and how is that not an assessment of service quality?

And oh yes we are just talking about perceptions, so it doesn't matter whether people have been on the ships. Alright, but then it is fair game for me to point out how this forum skews perceptions, when people write strong opinions about a cruiseline and don't mention they've never been on it...

All these people so snippy just because I suggest they mention that they haven't been on the ships they are commenting on. What's the problem?

This forum is at its most exaggerated and worst, when it involves groups of people commenting on a cruiseline they haven't been on.

Luckily I learned to take what is said here with a grain of salt, or I never would have done "screaming kids" Disney, "roaring drunks" Carnival, "utterly failed" NCLA, "pathetic" Celebrity zenith, an ancient Princess ship, and the "dead as a cadaver" HAL.

Reader beware.

Cecilia asked if I had been on the ship because, as she said, she wanted to find out who had first hand experience in case she had questions she wanted answered. She asked, I told her I hadn't. No problem there that I can see and no offense taken on my part.

Hi Sunshine, please read the quote from moderator very carefully, and see how well it meshes with your summary of why she asked.

I have bolded the key portion, since you seem to have missed it 3 times.

I wanted to know because I got the impression that you'd done one of the cruises because you post as if you've done it. Now I know your knowledge comes from other people's comments.

The host received the impression from your postings that you had done NCLA, because you posted as if you had done them.

She was misled, because you posted in a misleading fashion.

That doesn't imply any malice at all, it's just a heads up that you innocently and accidentally might have written in a way that suggested you had firsthand experience with something you didn't

That I did find somewhat offensive. What I find even more offensive

You could have responded by saying "whoops, honest mistake, I see the way it is written how someone might have assumed... won't happen again".

Mike,

You are so getting off topic. This thread is not based on anyone`s experience on NCLA. The question is/was did NCL make a mistake co-branding with NCL.

It is a marketing question......nothing more, and I feel that you have hijacked this thread into making it something otherwise. It seems that you are on a mission. You say beware:rolleyes: How do we even know that you sailed on NCLA:rolleyes:

So I say........if this thread survives.......stay on topic and refrain from bashing posters........please:)

Mike,

You are so getting off topic. This thread is not based on anyone`s experience on NCLA. The question is/was did NCL make a mistake co-branding with NCL.

Dear Seahorse --

The question of whether NCLA is dragging down NCL involves an assessment of NCLA.

Jam810 noted that the comments in the thread so far indicated that NCLA was inferior and dragging down NCL.

I merely pointed out the amusing fact that a majority of the opinions he read was from people who had never sailed NCLA.

Imagine going to the Carnival forum, asking if the newest Carnival ship is dragging down the rest of the line, and most all the people responding with strong opinions have only ever sailed Disney. It's funny!

One of the most amusing aspects of this forum, is how divorced from reality perceptions are about cruiselines people have never done. Another amusing thing is how this forum exacerbates the problem, as here when few of the people talking have actually done what is being discussed.

I also touched on a secondary topic, which is that people commenting on the quality of a cruise experience, probably should briefly mention whether they have actually done it. I feel this is currently a serious problem on this forum, and that this discussion was a perfect illustration of it.

I have courteousy responded to each comment addressed to me. I don't think it would be right to ignore them and leave them hanging. If you do not like the additional subject being discussed, why do you only address your comments to me and not those similarly discussing the issues I raised. Oh and why do you caution me about bashing, I notice some sharp words directed at me above, not that I am complaining.

I notice your comments do not address any of the topics being discussed so far. Seahorse, please keep your comments focused on the topics we've raised, and keep the meta discussion down to a minimum. :)

One more thing.

If you are worried about the impression that people are getting about NCLA, why not take the time to post the reviews of your positive experinces rather than using the time to attack other posters and their opinions.

Just an idea.

Hi Sunshine.

I note that people giving strong opinions, advise and feedback, frequently do not mention whether they have actually done the cruise being discussed. People would naturally tend to assume people talking at length about a cruiseline have done it.

I make the modest suggestion that people briefly mention whether they have done a cruiseline when talk about it at length. Friends did it? Just read reviews? You can say it quickly and easily in 3 words, helps everyone assess what is being said.

This is not an attack on other posters or their opinions.

Is saying the forum could improve, an attack?

I encourage people who have not done a cruiseline to think and comment about it, I only ask them to disclaim the fact they haven't done it. I encourage sharing negative experiences in reviews, they are just as important as the positive ones in making an assessment.

Hope this is clear.

My thread and I never asked only those who cruised on NCLA to post. In fact just the opposite. It is all about perception in the marketplace. The opinions of those who have not yet cruised are more important/

Mike looking at you signature you would make use believe you had been on the Crown and Dawn or with the * at least booked. I see from your post you have not how deceptive ;)

The crown seems to get really good reviews. It is small enough to fit into St. George and Hamilton, does that plus king's wharf. I haven't done bermuda but I'd like to.

If you have any inclination to do Bermuda, you should do it before the end of 2007, because I think NCL is selling almost all of their small ships... Meaning pure bermuda itinerary will be gone after that...

So far off topic time to request the thread be locked. It was a good discussion:rolleyes:

My thread

Does this mean when i start a thread I get to veto subtopics? Like when I ask about germaines luau, and someone starts talking about Paradise cove luau? I hate when that happens.

and I never asked only those who cruised on NCLA to post.

I never suggested that only NCLA veterans should post here. I think it's great to have opinions from people who haven't sailed NCLA. I just think they should mention they haven't done it.

I also think it's funny that a strong majority of opinions are coming from people who haven't done it.

It is all about perception in the marketplace.

Yes it is all about perception. Isn't it interesting how this forum distorts perceptions? It would be more accurate and honest if people disclosed whether they have actually sailed on the line they are commenting on.

Mike looking at you signature you would make use believe you had been on the Crown and Dawn or with the * at least booked. I see from your post you have not how deceptive ;)

I made final payment on Dawn Canada/NE, thinking of doing Bermuda back to back with it on Crown, have deposit but haven't made final payment on it. Since I'm flying all the way from Hawaii to NY might as well do two while I'm there. :)

What do you think of doing it back to back? Or is that too off topic again. :)

Hi guys. I feel like I've caused this tension. Sunshine229...I honestly thought you'd been on NCLA because I really did think that you were posting from first hand experience. I guess if I went back and read through every post, I'd see that you don't ever say you've been on NCLA. I don't know why it came across that way to me. I think that anytime something like this happens (big discussion; negative comments; lots of contributors; etc) the lines may get a bit blurred because there's so much information swirling around and people form opinions based on that information and it becomes fact. To me, I thought you'd been on NCLA and perception was reality. I was wrong and I thanked you for clearing that up for me.

I understand MikeKaye's position because he's actually been there and his thoughts on NCLA are often forsaken for someone that's never been there. I was having a discussion yesterday with another member about where to find reviews of the PO ships of people that have actually been there so we can get facts from them. I don't think anyone deliberately mislead anyone. The conversation just took on a life of its own.

Having said all that...this is a good discussion and it should be on this board. I could easily close the thread at the request of the original poster but I'd rather use that as a last resort. Is it possible for this thread to be put back on topic? If yes, great. If not, it may have to be closed. Thanks for understanding.

Globalizer says he hasn't made any assessment of NCLA's service quality, right after having just said "NCLA hasn't worked well, and so both brands have been dragged down." How can that mean anything other than "NCLA cruise experience sucks", and how is that not an assessment of service quality?
Please forgive me. I see that you really are talking about another poster who goes by a similar handle to mine.

Yours truly,

Globaliser

MikeKaye--

Again I will ask

Since you have a little more insight into the situation, are many Hawaiians working for NCLA? My take of this whole NCLA thing was that it was to help the Islands with the job situation. Any comments??:)

For the record I have not sailed NCLA.

I glanced at the badges when I could to see where people were from, but I really don't know for sure how many people from Hawaii with the small sample size I took. I saw only a couple in the main dining room from Hawaii. I remember Butch the lounge guitarist/singer playing old school 50's tunes was from Hawaii, and some hula dancers must have been. I don't know about all the engineering staff.

Hawaii unemployment is really low, with many open jobs unfilled, and relatively unskilled people sometimes making $20 an hour. Some people work several jobs to get by with the high housing/living costs. They had a job fair here, they probably didn't get as many people as they would have hoped in the current job market. The short contracts would probably work for some. I'm thinking the cruiseline probably has to pay more than they had hoped.

I worried the whole PoH staff would be new, but I recognized a whole lot of workers as some of the better people who had worked on our earlier cruise on Pride of America. I wonder what did for PoAM though, I gather they rearranged people among the ships again 6/5 and it made a short term mess.

On balance we slightly preferred having the American staff, probably because we got a lot more out of chatting with them than we would have from an international crew. I don't think there is anything inherently inferior with American workers, they just have better alternative employment options which probably makes maintaining staffing much more of a challenge.

If they can get staffing levels smoothed out and consistently filled, and somehow improve dinner service times in main dining room, I think with experience the overall cruises will be a gem in the industry. Though my experiences on PoAM/PoH may have been unusual, it already is a gem in some ways. I think the American flagged pure-hawaii itinerary itself can't be beat for most people, it has to be one of the best itineraries anywhere. Some of the broadway style shows are great, and all the hawaiian themed activites are popular. Most everyone loves the specialty restaurants, good food and service. NCL main dining breakfasts are better than many competing lines. Suite passengers get luxury liner level service for breakfast at Cagney's. Suite rooms and butler service on NCLA are great. Pride of Hawaii and Pride of America are beautiful newer ships (though the pool on PoAM is tragically tiny). The owners suite on PoAM has a HOT TUB ON THE BALCONY. In hawaii, can you imagine? Isn't that a mind blowing feature? I was next door, and looked on with envy.

The overnight on Kauai with napali viewing alone makes alternatives look really silly. Kauai is fantastic, and competing cruiselines now skip it altogether. With a few days land extention in a hawaiian hotel, which isn't even an option on all the west coast round cruises to Hawaii, it could be one of the best vacations for many people.

NCLA has great potential for actually raising the NCL brand overall, while making competition look silly by dominating hawaii with the best cruise options.

Thanks, MikeKay, for your positive comments. I am looking forward to sailing on one of the "Pride" ships soon. We have never been to Hawaii and think it is a great way to see the islands in a short time. We can always go back for more if we want to.

My son has been offered a job on NCLA and plans to start his training soon. I will be anxious to hear his views on the service after a few months onboard and hopefully we can join him to see for ourselves!

Hi Sunshine.

I note that people giving strong opinions, advise and feedback, frequently do not mention whether they have actually done the cruise being discussed. People would naturally tend to assume people talking at length about a cruiseline have done it.

I make the modest suggestion that people briefly mention whether they have done a cruiseline when talk about it at length. Friends did it? Just read reviews? You can say it quickly and easily in 3 words, helps everyone assess what is being said.

This is not an attack on other posters or their opinions.

Is saying the forum could improve, an attack?

I encourage people who have not done a cruiseline to think and comment about it, I only ask them to disclaim the fact they haven't done it. I encourage sharing negative experiences in reviews, they are just as important as the positive ones in making an assessment.

Hope this is clear.

That sounds like a reasonable request and, if that had been your original post, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

It starts to get rather tiresome repeating,

"although I haven't yet cruised with NCLA, I have seen from the many posts I've read..."

at the beginning of every post. After you have done it a few times you tend to figure that everyone knows you haven't been on that line and it is easier to just start in with the information or comment that you want to post about.

I do see however that there are new posters everyday on CC who may not know all the history, in the same way we keep seeing the same questions about smuggling alcohol etc, showing up on the board. I wouldn't have minded a polite reminder of that fact. It was the adversarial,antagonistic tone and the implication that we were trying to deceive people by our posts that I took exception too in your original post on this subject.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very long conversation with one of the top people at Star Cruise during one of POA's first cruises in Hawaii.

He was in shock.

His first point: Naming it "NCL America" was a HUGE mistake. It was obvious at that early point that even though the 2 cruise companies were legally separate - and the 2 products were worlds apart - the 2 names (NCL and NCL America) were close enough to seriously mislead the public. His biggest concern was that the inferior product being provided on NCL America would taint the NCL Name and Reputation. He sure got that right. But the Sales & Marketing people (remember that Colin Veitch was previously VP of Sales & Marketing at Princess) refused to change the name so late in the game.

His second point: Using the NCL "Freestyle" designation on NCL America was the second HUGE mistake. Due to the extremely high operating costs and slim chance of profit on the American Product, many of the better quality (and costly) elements of "Freestyle" Cruising had to be eliminated on NCL America. Once again, using the same name for two different products really hurt the NCL Brand. They really should have called it "American Style" or "Hawaiian Style". Right again - but once again, too late to do anything constructive about it.

I had a very long conversation with one of the top people at Star Cruise during one of POA's first cruises in Hawaii.

He was in shock.

His first point: Naming it "NCL America" was a HUGE mistake. It was obvious at that early point that even though the 2 cruise companies were legally separate - and the 2 products were worlds apart - the 2 names (NCL and NCL America) were close enough to seriously mislead the public. His biggest concern was that the inferior product being provided on NCL America would taint the NCL Name and Reputation. He sure got that right. But the Sales & Marketing people (remember that Colin Veitch was previously VP of Sales & Marketing at Princess) refused to change the name so late in the game.

His second point: Using the NCL "Freestyle" designation on NCL America was the second HUGE mistake. Due to the extremely high operating costs and slim chance of profit on the American Product, many of the better quality (and costly) elements of "Freestyle" Cruising had to be eliminated on NCL America. Once again, using the same name for two different products really hurt the NCL Brand. They really should have called it "American Style" or "Hawaiian Style". Right again - but once again, too late to do anything constructive about it.

They may feel that they are stuck with the name but I still think that they could do a much better job of letting people know that The 'Pride of' ships are a different branch of the NCL family and that they are a different cruise experience. They don't seem to be doing much at all to get that across.

I know I've said this before,my apologies to anyone who is sick of hearing it, but having spent an hour listening to the canned ads on their phone line, I doubt I would have realized that the Hawaii 'Pride of' cruises were offered by a different branch of the company or that I should expect a different type of staff or service( if i hadn't read a lot about it here first).

I don't think it would have been that difficult to get that message across so I have to beleive that they are making a conscious choice to keep the two brands joined in peoples' minds.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just joined the message board and have something to add on this topic. I sailed on the USS Constitution back in 1998 and on the Pride of America this past February. A question was asked about the service on the USS Constitution. It was excellent. The cabin steward checked with me each day to ensure all was well. The education about Hawaiian culture was outstanding. For entertainment one evening Don Ho did a show. On another day a local hula school did a performance which did not include grass skirts and coconut shells! It was more true to the hula's purpose of telling a story and not a bunch of girls just shaking their booty as you see in the more commercial shows. I'm one of those that NCLA was a first experience for NCL and I will never try NCL again. I was appalled by the "freestyle" dining. It was the poorest excuse for dining I've ever had on a cruise ship (6th cruise next month.) I was told repeatedly I could make reservations but when I attempted I was told I couldn't. So we usually had to wait in line to get a beeper and then wander until it went off. The wait staff in the dining room was inept at best. Long, long pauses between courses and asking for something was a lost cause. One evening we ate at the Cadillac Diner (the teen nephews were starving and the wait was an hour for the dining room). It was equally slow service for greasy food. My sister and I decided we wanted a capucinno and went to the dining room. It took a lot of explaining to get through their heads that we did not want to go up to the Aloha Cafe and serve ourselves. We wanted to sit at a quiet table and have that thing called "service."

Would I do a ship with freestyle dining again? Never. Would I recommend NCLA for a 7 day cruise around Hawaii? Yes. It is a great way to see the islands and have to unpack only once. Hawaii was wonderful and the Pride of America was a barely passable dining/hotel experience. With expectations set correctly, you can tolerate the poor service and focus on the Hawaiian experience.

I also did USS constitution and did the USS independence as well, I really missed them when they left Hawaii and was hoping for American flagged ships to come back to hawaii. The itinerary on these ships was basically totally identical to what NCLA does today, with overnights on Maui and Kauai, and Napali coast & lava viewing. I really liked NCLA a lot too though, did it twice. When was your PoAM cruise? My PoAM cruise was October 2005 and POH june 2006. You might find that newer reviews have improved significantly over older ones.

I agree NCLA could learn something from those old Constitution/Independence cruises, they had better Hawaiian theming in some ways with a real live "kumu" to explain hawaiian culture and history to you the whole cruise. They also had more dedicated Hawaiian theming in hallways on both ships, while PoAM basically has none (beautiful USA themed lobby though, and Jefferson's specialty restaurant is very well decorated).

I don't remember the service on USS constitution/independence being stellar either, the cruise was pretty laid back and casual really, but that wasn't a bad thing, kind of a nice change from other more formal cruises in the same way freestyle is. Service on the NCL star was definitely better than USS constitution/Independence.

One big advantage the old ships had over NCLA though, is that by the time you did your cruise, some of the employees had often been working there quite a long time. Food quality is definitely better on NCLA than it was on the Constitution/Independence, but it sounds like you disagree. You know Cadillac Grill is all comfort food, it is supposed to be greasy. :) Reservations are for specialty restaurants only, if you try to eat at the main dining room at peak times (6-7:30) you can face a wait as you saw. We ate when it opened and never had to wait, and never had to wait for specialty restaurants with our reservations.

NCLA had a good history talker from bishop museum, people really liked the lectures, but it wasn't the same. However on Pride of Hawaii they have some good Hawaiian theming in the main dining room, some impressive murals depicting Kamehameha era history. There also is a walkway with 20's-60's Hawaiian memorabilia which is very interesting. The ships are in Hawaii permanently, so why not take the Hawaiian theming to a much higher degree, to make it feel like a HAWAIIAN cruise and less like a generic cruise. On POH maiden voyage they had a good array of activities, like two ukelele lessons, several hula lessons, several history talks, and lei making. The reviews I have since read don't indicate that they kept all this up for the regular 7 day cruises, that's a real shame if so?

Another thing I miss about the Constitution/Independence was they had a great movie theatre with classic movies running ALL THE TIME. Nowadays on cruises they often have a makeshift theatre, with only a very few movie showings. One exception is Disney, which has a good theatre and many showings. I know people don't go to cruises in Hawaii for a movie theatre but I loved it, dropping by for some late night Casablanca or Manchurian Candidate (the original was great). It seems many people are too pooped from touring the islands to even see the main entertainment. What wimps.

On the Constitution/Independence, one of the singers was Butch, who sung old school Hawaiian songs locals and visitors loved. Well he's on NCLA now, just about all the time, but there's only one of him so who knows if he's on your ship of the 4 NCL has here. Would be nice if they tapped more local artists.

The rooms on the Constitution/Independence weren't the best, the bathrooms were so old and spartan it was kind of funny. It was worth it to be on such a classic ship with so much history. On the other hand, PoAM/POH are decades newer with nicer rooms and bathrooms, more balconies.

Anyway, sorry you had a bummer cruise, hope you have a good one next time. We had some slow amateur hour service experience in the main dining room, but overall the cruise experience was better than most cruises we have done. Our employee experiences outside of the main dining room, including specialty restaurants, was really good everywhere. So I think the problem is particular to the main dining room and not something systemically wrong with the American crew.

I agree, the quality of the food has nothing to do with the profitability of the company. But you quoted me out of context, as I wasn't discussing the quality of the food when I wrote that. I was discussing if NCL would be successful or not in Hawaii, and whether stock prices reflect a company's profitability.

The bottom line (profitability) is important to discussing if a company's is a sucess or not. A company making huge profits and sharing those profits with its stockholders should gather more stock holders, which should cause higher stock prices. But day to day, or quarter to quarter stock prices really don't mean anything in an industry with cyclic business patterns.

If you're going to quote, keep to what's being discussed.

My comment had nothing to do with anything you said. I wasn't quoting you. I'm actually wondering why I put it there because it doesn't even relate to what you were talking about.

I know the answer:D

We never take the experience of one person on one cruise as representative of the whole product.

As posted often read every review and posting in order to determine the truth and understand what is important to you and not just here.

How often do we have two posters same cruise totally different experiences.

Not sure why you have an issue with those that have not been on an NCLA ship posting about the impression that is being made in the market.

For the record I have never posted that I have been on an NCLA ship, never inferred it, and it fact have posted I have not been on NCLA and have no plans to go on one.

In fact in this thread I only referred to the feedback of a member of my staff who just returned and is not a CC member. That was the sick cruise with the graphic thread of horrific conditions. They saw none of what was posted here and had a great honeymoon.

Nothing in this thread requires a cruise on an NCLA ship. It was focused on the perception in the market and we are the customer base they are trying to get to book a cruise. What people perceive is more critical then what an individual has experienced. It is in fact those perceptions that will determine future bookings.

We never take the EXPERIENCE of one person on one cruise as representative of the whole product.

As posted often read every review and posting in order to determine the truth and understand what is important to you and not just here.

How often do we have two posters same cruise totally different EXPERIENCES.

I think Mike Kaye has no problem with people that identify themsevles as researchers planning on a cruise. He and I prefer people that give first hand experience - be it good or bad the more detail the better.

The real problem here is when a person is thought to be an authority on what they EXPERIENCED when all they did was read the boards like the rest of us.

Using the NCLA brand does offer a customer base. I assume this thread was started in answer to the numerous bad reviews on the Hawaiian ships where the reviewer stated that he/she would never cruise NCL again. So it made sense to me that the two should have been split from the beginning.

I work and have kids in sports, etc. So I'm pretty busy. I spend more time on these boards than I should. Does NCLA advertise anywhere? I know about the Hawaiian ships from being on NCL cruises and having NCL brochures and of course here. How do "non NCL" people hear about them?

So we know that some how people manage to find these boards having have a "bad" cruise and posting their negative review. I guess my point is by looking at these boards, NCL did make a big mistake using the NCLA brand, but I'm wondering if the NCL customer base didn't more than make up for the "lost" future NCL bookings.

My opinions are based on the fact that I have a future NCLA cruise booked and yet have never heard of NCLA outside of what I already stated.

Cruise with kids,

On my last post I detailed my experience with NCLA. Now my nephews, twins of 13, had a great time on the ship. Having access to 24 hours of pizza and ice cream, loving the Cadillac Diner, freedom from the 'rents (but having walkie talkies and check in times with the aunts) and time in the hot tub ogling nubile young women was a reason to repeat the experience over again. They loved the cruise and wanted the whole extended family to do it next winter (even the 'rents!.) All cruises are from a personal perspective. They probably won't talk too much about the time they "had" to spend with the aunts when they violated the check-in rules but we all had a great experience in the Hawaiian Islands. I judged NCLA from an adult perspective as compared to what I've experienced on many cruises before. I don't want to start the debate again about the US maritime laws that brought us to the foreign port requirement but I would guess that there are not that many US jobs on the line anymore receiving the benefit of that law. Those that have those jobs would probably disagree with the benefit of the law. As a consumer, the flagging of almost all the ships to foreign countries that carry US citizens was a response to the law and to economics. There is probably a whole series of issues that could be debated about living wages that goes way off topic here.

Never having cruised on NCL before and based on my experience with NCLA, I would have to say from my personal experience using NCLA was most likely a marketing mistake. It will be a long time before I try them again - mostly likely will have to be the only choice. I'm sure they wanted to expand on their known market to make NCLA a success. I would assume there were many NCL customers that chose NCLA because of the branding. The success or failure of NCLA will always rely on profitability. As an non-NCL customer, I chose NCLA because they were the only 7-night game in town. Until they have a competitor, we may gripe about the service and talk about branding mistakes, but look at the evidence. NCLA has added a 3rd cruise ship circling Hawaii. The dollars must be hitting the bottom line correctly regardless of the level of service. Most likely, the allure of Hawaii will always outweigh any of the service problems. NCLA probably isn't going to fight the maritime law either - why invite competition? So whether we deem NCLA a branding mistake or no

t, the corporation will look at the return on investment and make their decision based on the dollars.

Archived