"Emergency" Question on NCL's Tortola Excursions

I've read alot about the NCL excursions to the Virgin Gorda baths; there are several, and I'm very concerned about the one we've booked.

The NCL booklet describes one excursion "by-land" that includes the hiking down and back up, and says you should be "energetic";) or something. I've seen posts on this one and it sounds like fun to me, but the couple we're going with would not be able to handle it.

Another "by-sea" type of excursion is described in the booklet as requiring swimming skills. I imagine this is the one I've seen in posts that speak of the 400 foot or so swim. Again, fine for me, but my wife does NOT swim (and I do mean NOT!:eek: ).

To cut to the chase, the exact excursion we booked is NCL# TOV 723, and is titled "Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel". For this one, the booklet does NOT mention anything about being able to swim OR about being "energetic".

Questions:

Can anyone provide information on this specific excursion? Is there any swimming required to get from the catamaran to the shore/baths?

Is there ANY excursion where you can tour the baths without a madatory swim or heavy-duty hike?

Is there one where the swim is shorter than the 400 footer??

We leave on the Spirit on Saturday, so any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

OH! One last thing....when you rent snorkling equipment (here or elsewhere), what's the average cost, and is it reasonably hygenic? Are the snorkles disinfected between users?:eek:

We are going on this cruise leaving Aug 5. Have you seen this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330682

While it's not the same excursion, it has some great pictures of the baths, and can at least give you an idea of the swim involved vs. the physical nature of the tours (although this tour seems to have both :eek: ).

Either way, I've read you need a waterproof container for your camera.

As far as snorkeling, the companies will re-assure you that they have disinfected the equipment between users. What I've SEEN happening is, it gets swished in a tub supposedly filled with disinfectant, along with 500 other pieces of snorkeling stuff (and whatever's in the bucket doesn't seem to be something you have to worry about getting on your hands). I'm pretty picky and germ-a-phobic; I don't drink out of the drinking fountains at work either (because I see the kids putting their mouths on them constantly.) We take our own masks and snorkels & use their flippers. They're not very expensive, don't take up much room and you can get one that fits your face (I must have a small head, because a kid's mask fits me better.) When you take a tour, the snorkeling equipment is usually provided free of charge and they have always seemed to have plenty, in a good assortment of sizes.

Another "by-sea" type of excursion is described in the booklet as requiring swimming skills. I imagine this is the one I've seen in posts that speak of the 400 foot or so swim. Again, fine for me, but my wife does NOT swim (and I do mean NOT!:eek: ).

Can she handle a swim if she was wearing a life vest?

We had a fellow on a snorkel excursion with us who could not swim -- he just jumped in the water with a life vest and was fine. Heck, I could swim and still put a life vest on so I would not get fatigued. :)

Archived