birth certificate problem

AVAMARIE

We are set to sail on 8/13 to Alaska on the Star. My aunt, age 76, brings me her birth certificate Monday and it shows a different first name. Apparently her father decided to baptize her with the name she uses but never changed her name legally. Social Security accepted the baptismal record, but NCL will not. Because we have very little time now I am at a loss how to get her on this cruise. I am going down to the passport office today to beg and plead.

My question is: Can anyone provide me with a name of someone at NCL who could maybe help? I realize they have rules regarding this issue and I agree with them of course. However, if she doesn't get off the ship in Victoria she would be ok. I know she would have to go through customs in Seattle so I don't know if there is anything that really can be done. I am so upset. This is a family reunion thing with 9 people going and it will be her one and only chance to ever cruise. She has never even been on a plane before. She was so excited to be coming with us. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

You might be ok. We had this problem with my grandmother actually. The name on her birth certificate was "Maria" but her driver's license and everything else list her as Marie. I called NCL and explained the issue and they made a note of it. It never came up again.

Otherwise yes, passports can be issued within 2 weeks, though you'll have to pay the expedited service fee. It sounds like it would be worthwhile to pay the fee in this case. Good luck!

You can actually get a passport the day you apply if you go to a U.S. Passport Office. I know there is one in New York City. You have to have a plane ticket or cruise ticket to a foreign country in the next two weeks. You pretty much spend all day at the office, but it can be done if needed. You either get the passport that day or the next day. SOmeone at work just did it.

Hope this helps.

-DEM920

You do not need a passport to get in to Canada as long as you are an American citizen. If you have government issued photo ID such as a driver's lisence you are fine. By the way I live in Victoria and they are kind and welcoming to cruise ship passengers. If you are worried I can phone customs tomorrow and check.

Marzipan

I did take my aunt to the post office and helped her apply for a passport. We paid the extra money for the expedited. The clerk was skeptical about this application going through without more substantiating proof of identity. He believes we will get a letter asking for more information. I have instructed my aunt to go through everything she has and come up with some additional information, such as insurance policies, medical records or taxes which date back as far as she can find.

Marzipan - I think that if my aunt could get on the ship she would probably be ok with Canadian/US customs. It is NCL policies which are causing us the grief. I know it doesn specifically state you need a birth certificate, but I was just hoping the these extenuating circumstances would be enough for them to allow her to board with a baptismal certificate and photo ID. I can't really be mad at them, since we knew the rules going in. I will just keep my fingers crossed and say my prayers that the passport comes through.

It is necessary to have a valid birth certificate with a driver's license or passport for proof of citizenship and identity. A bapitismal certificate will not work. It clearly states that you need these items on the NCL website. As of January 2007 you will only be able to cruise with a passport.

http://www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement.htm#a

Enjoy your cruise!!!

It is necessary to have a valid birth certificate with a driver's license or passport for proof of citizenship and identity. A bapitismal certificate will not work. It clearly states that you need these items on the NCL website. As of January 2007 you will only be able to cruise with a passport.

http://www.ncl.com/more/visa_requirement.htm#a

Enjoy your cruise!!!

All a bapitismal certificate shows is your name as it appears on that and where you were baptized and your date of birth as given to the church. This is not a legal document. I will admit, when I was a freshman in college I used mine as ID to get into the drinking places. I was going to Univ of Colo which, at the time allowed 3/2 beer to be consumed by 18 year olds. At the time I didn't have a drivers license (I probably shouldn't now) lOL so the only way I could show my age was with the baptiismal certificate. Beleive after I showed it at the door a couple of times, they knew me. NMNita

I just returned from the Star to Alaska on 7/2/06. In Victoria they only require that you flash a photo ID. If she has a drivers license that is all she will need. Don't need the Birth Certificate or Passport to get off in Victoria. Don't need to show anything except your NCL Boarding card to get back on the ship in Victoria.

When we got off the ship in Seattle we flashed our passport. NOt sure if just the license would've worked here but the no one seemed to care too much. I think the NCL reps did check the documentation pretty thoroughly though at checki in. This might be your biggest problem.

Her social security card should back up her birth certificate. If her name was never legally changed, her birth name will appear on her SS card. This should be enough to answer any passport concerns. Even when your married, you must have your marriage license to change your last name. When we travelled last year, I had my birth certificate and they asked to see my marriage license to confirm the name change.

Archived