cape horn/falkland islands

pinguino

Anyone taken a princess cruise to cape horn/falkland islands before? what side of the ship would be better to get a balcony on? Is there anything about the trip you could tell us? Which penguin colonies are better to see?

This is the trip my boyfriend and I are looking at, for 2008:

http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?subnav=true&voyageCode=9807&noOfPax=2&airportCode=SNA&shipId=TP&shipName=Star+Princess&productCode=SCB120&departureDate=Mar+18%2C+2008&productDesc=Cape+Horn+%26+Straight+of+Magellan+-+Buenos+Aires+to+Santiago

They swing around cape horn to the left - so - if you get a balcony on the port side you would get a good view - but - cape horn is just the southernmost largr rock of the continent. You will tender into the Falkland Islands - if you want a good reasonable tour contact Graham B. France

E-mail Address(es):

france@horizon.co.fk

Ron

With your itinerary they may swing around to the right - we started in BA and ended in Santiago

In the Falkland Islands we took the Sparrow Cove excursion (on Celebrity)and I would highly recommend it. The penguins will walk right up to you. We even saw two Emperor penguins (rare to see) taking turns sitting on their egg.

I don't think it matters what side you are on. When we were at the Cape the Cap'tn turned the ship 360 degrees so both side the bow and stern could all get a look at the rocks. The Cape is not all that spectacular or beautiful it is the idea of have visited the tip of the continent that is the defining moment. Rugged green hills with nothing on them to speak of. We did see a building here and there but no settlements.

At the Falklands you anchor outside the harbor and take tenders in which is about a 30-45 min ride. You only go in if the weather is considered safe for tendering operations. We were there on a fairly sunny day but my wife wore a heavy fur hooded jacket due to the cool wind that blew. Some great eateries and nice museum. There were tours available on the dock, and taxis were looking to take people.

We used Port Compass tours for a penguin trip out of Punta Arenas to the Otway Penguin. It was disappointing is that it was really just a van ride to the colony and a ride back. We were on our own to find out information and to look around. We had thought it would be a tour with narrative and info given on what we were seeing. I must admit we did beat the all the ships buses out there so had some time to ourselves. Others have had very good times with Port Compass. They are headquartered in Florida. http://www.portcompass.com/index.php

We did Cape Horn on Regal Princess, 3-9/22-06, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. The passage was quite smooth - but couple weeks before it was very rough, according to the crew.

'Round the Horn probably would favor starboard side, and starboard side does give better views of the Chilean glaciers. Of course, if you were doing the reverse itinerary, then port would be the preferred.

Can't answer the penguin question - low on my priority.

We thought Falkland Islands a highlight. I went on a Battlefield Tour there, guide was a retired Regimental Sergeant Major, British Army, and both the tour and the guide were fascinating.

The RCI rep i just talked to said that there are glaciers in the fjords. i saw some of the celebrity pics where the mountains looked like they were made of ice.. but on flickr the ones i saw looked just like rock with snow on top. how did it look to you guys? cape horn in my mind shouldnt be green ;)

has anyone been on star princess since its been repaired from the fire?

penguins definately are the priority of the trip for me :) i want to find the best rookeries to visit!

We have done Cape Horn and Falklands on a South America cruise with Celebrity

Did our own tour off the dock in the Falklands ...........saw Gentoo ? penguins in their burrows and some right in the distance on the beach

I understand that South Georgia and Antartica are the home of much bigger colonies of Penguins though

The winds in the Falklands are STRONG but its a fascinating island to us Brits especially considering the hardy souls who live there

When we went the Govenors wife was working in the Information Centre she was lovely to talk too ..........totally safe Island

Buy Falkland Island stamps in the Post Office they are considered valuable by stamp collectors

The whole South America cruise is fascinating , fiords and ice fields and glaciers are great ,

Theres a superb market in many ports and Santiago is a lovely city

A side trip to Iguassu Falls is a TOTAL MUST

We had a wonderful few days in Rio inc going up to Sainta Teresa and Corcavado

Beunos Aries is a fascuinating City but be careful not to wear watches/ jewellry or have money in pockets ..........be very street wise as all kinds of scams can go on ..............claims of bird mess on your clothes scam .......baby in arms scam

just beware ...........dress shabby and act local and you will be fine

Asia or South America are wonderful areas to visit but secret pockets stitched to inside the waistband of trousers that only you can get your hand down is the safe way to go ..................just a few coins in your pockets that you can pull out fast to scatter if attacked is sensible

I have been to South America as far south as Rio but not to Cape Horn, Chile or Buenos Aires. As much as I would like to see the southern area of South America I feel that to travel all that way and not really travel into Antarctica through the Drake Passage is a mistake. A ship with zodiacs is optimal but even some of the bigger cruise ships that occasionally make the journey into the interior of the Antarctic would be fine. It looks so dramatic and unique in photos. Any opinions?

Archived